Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:20 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Lee Enfields 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so talk to me about these...prices seem to be all over the board, is it just condition ??? i get there are a few models so to be more specific maybe a No.4 MK 1

Do we have any fanboys for these things on here ??

Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've got a few of them, one No.4 Mk1 and the others are No.1 MkIII.

My feeling is that milsurp prices in general are all over the place. Sure, condition plays a part of course. However, I feel like prices are a little crazy because there are so few milsurps on the market that we don't really have an established baseline. The scarcity makes the price go up too of course, but just the fact that you can't say "but there's another one for sale right now at $x" or "two sold last week for $x" means it's tough to pin down any kind of pricing expectations.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:46 am

Sadly, the Golden Age of Milsurp is in the rearview. There was a time in the late 1990s to early 2000s when Big 5 had literal barrels of SMLE's and Mosins... I wish I'd been more liquid in college to afford a sample of each, and a Mauser, an Arisaka, a 1903 and a Garand.

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I've got a few of them, one No.4 Mk1 and the others are No.1 MkIII.

My feeling is that milsurp prices in general are all over the place. Sure, condition plays a part of course. However, I feel like prices are a little crazy because there are so few milsurps on the market that we don't really have an established baseline. The scarcity makes the price go up too of course, but just the fact that you can't say "but there's another one for sale right now at $x" or "two sold last week for $x" means it's tough to pin down any kind of pricing expectations.

Agree with Madpick. Prices are all over for all milsurps, yesterday Atlantic Firearms was selling Yugoslavian M48As for $749 and $789. As a collector (with a focus on Yugoslavian Mausers) there is no way I would pay that price for a Yugo M48 Mauser. But there are deals out there, you just have to put a bit of effort into it and not be afraid to purchase a rifle that may require some work. My latest is a Chilean M1895 that had some surface rust and a "dark" bore per the Gunbroker vendor. All said purchase price was $331 to the door and it cleaned up with no issue and the bore is just fine, though it required a straight M1895 bolt body that I got from Apex for $36, other than that its all matching (came with a carbine bent bolt). Not bad for a Ludwig Loewe manufactured rifle.

Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might be considered a bit of Enfield collector. I own 14 of them. A few of them are in this thread...viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1062. Their history etc a bit more complex than other rifles and so pricing is all over the place. And yes the golden day of milsurp have gone.

Some things to consider

1. What type of Enfield do you want? No 3, 4, 5. There are others (I have a No8) but most people stay with these 3 variants. No4's are the best shooters, the most prevalent and least expensive.

2. Manufacturer. Long Branch, Savage, Ishapore, POF, Lithgow, BSA, Maltby, Fazakerley. The cheapest No3 are Ishapore, Lithgow are more expensive. For No4's Savage and Long Branch are most common and usually nicest war time. Fazakerley post war.

3. Numbers matching/non-matching. Some have matching receiver, bolt, wood and magazine. Some only the bolt and receiver are numbered.

4. 303 is getting rarer and more expensive. Try ammoseek or similar. Also Enfied chambers are loose (less likely to failed in combat/mud etc). So brass gets wrecked after 2-3 reloads max.

5. But because they are fairly common and not popular like k98s, 1903s etc they can be found for a reasonable price.

Now the good news you can still find them. These 2 below are post ww2 all matching Faz No4 Mk2. I bought them for $350 each at a live auction in Vancouver Wa, summer 2022. So with fees approx $420 each.
Attachment:
20221011_153914_resized_2.jpg

If you want a shooter. Hunt anywhere other than a gunstore. Look for a No4 Savage or a Long Branch and also look for FTR rifles, they are less popular but the FTR process means they are usually nice shooters. Look for a No3 Ishapore.

This is 9 years old but a good basic buyers guide.https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... ing_a_lee/
Bloke of the range saying how to pick a shooter. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... ield-smle/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

redstar wrote:
I might be considered a bit of Enfield collector. I own 14 of them. A few of them are in this thread...https://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1062. Their history etc a bit more complex than other rifles and so pricing is all over the place. And yes the golden day of milsurp have gone.

Some things to consider

1. What type of Enfield do you want? No 3, 4, 5. There are others (I have a No8) but most people stay with these 3 variants. No4's are the best shooters, the most prevalent and least expensive.

2. Manufacturer. Long Branch, Savage, Ishapore, POF, Lithgow, BSA, Maltby, Fazakerley. The cheapest No3 are Ishapore, Lithgow are more expensive. For No4's Savage and Long Branch are most common and usually nicest war time. Fazakerley post war.

3. Numbers matching/non-matching. Some have matching receiver, bolt, wood and magazine. Some only the bolt and receiver are numbered.

4. 303 is getting rarer and more expensive. Try ammoseek or similar. Also Enfied chambers are loose (less likely to failed in combat/mud etc). So brass gets wrecked after 2-3 reloads max.

5. But because they are fairly common and not popular like k98s, 1903s etc they can be found for a reasonable price.

Now the good news you can still find them. These 2 below are post ww2 all matching Faz No4 Mk2. I bought them for $350 each at a live auction in Vancouver Wa, summer 2022. So with fees approx $420 each.
Attachment:
20221011_153914_resized_2.jpg

If you want a shooter. Hunt anywhere other than a gunstore. Look for a No4 Savage or a Long Branch and also look for FTR rifles, they are less popular but the FTR process means they are usually nice shooters. Look for a No3 Ishapore.

This is 9 years old but a good basic buyers guide.https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... ing_a_lee/
Bloke of the range saying how to pick a shooter. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... ield-smle/

Very nice rifles redstar!

Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]