Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 A Small Primer On Mosin Rifles 

POA Russian volunteers fight for the Germans against the Soviets.
Very blurry photo, but I think his rifle has the mod like yours. Note the cleaning rod is removed/missing and lugs like a German bayo lug right above the hole.

Grabbed from here, http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8&start=15
there a few other cool photos of POA with PPSH41s and a wheeled Maxim MG

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:41 am

Looks like an already existing Mauser model, with a normal Mauser style bayonet lug. I have seen some examples where Mosins were outfitted with this style Mauser bayonet lug to accept the Ersatz style bayonets. Those are hard to find too!

If you'd like to read up more on the Mauser bayonet conversions to Mosins, check this link for the what appears to be "easiest" conversion to accept an Ersatz style bayonet. Then check out John Sheehan's article. He had some good and valuable input on the bayonet modification sleeve on my rifle as well.

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareMausBay.htm

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

Interesting, to me it looks like the same rifle.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've noticed this thread hasn't had any activity for a while. Let's add some new info to it.

Are these rifles still readily available? Is the ammo still as cheap as it has historically been? How hard is it to find a "nicest of the bunch"?

The only rifle I own is a 10/22 so I'm thinking a Mosin might be a great place to start my collection of larger caliber rifles. Sounds like the price and availability are great.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
I've noticed this thread hasn't had any activity for a while. Let's add some new info to it.

Are these rifles still readily available? Is the ammo still as cheap as it has historically been? How hard is it to find a "nicest of the bunch"?

The only rifle I own is a 10/22 so I'm thinking a Mosin might be a great place to start my collection of larger caliber rifles. Sounds like the price and availability are great.

Looks like this comment fell on deaf ears.

The answer is no.

Mosins are not as readily available as they used to be. They once were $99 guns that came with bayonet and accessories at Big5. 440 round tins of ammo were super cheap. Like $80 cheap.

Last time I saw Mosins in stock they were around the $250 range + shipping + transfer + tax.

Last time Spam cans were available at SG ammo they were going for 150 each.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:16 am

RusoArmo wrote:
snozzberries wrote:

Looks like this comment fell on deaf ears.

The answer is no.

Mosins are not as readily available as they used to be. They once were $99 guns that came with bayonet and accessories at Big5. 440 round tins of ammo were super cheap. Like $80 cheap.

Last time I saw Mosins in stock they were around the $250 range + shipping + transfer + tax.

Last time Spam cans were available at SG ammo they were going for 150 each.

HA. I used to wait for Big 5 sales and walked in with my inspection kit, cleaned the bores and did a full assessment on each gun. Walked out the door with them all 98% or better with some nice hexes and several just about new 44s all with kit for $72 and $84 respectively. You can't touch a beat up shooter grade with a frosted bore for $250 now

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 pm

1943 M44's. There were 50,000 built as prototypes and they turn up.

I have a 1943 M44. Great little rifle

** Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.**

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything you need or want to know about any variation of a Mosin Nagant is here.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/

and here.

http://7.62x54r.net/

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:59 pm

They were great guns when you could Walk into the gun show give $60-70 bucks cash with no paperwork and walk out with a good rifle and wolf steel cased was 6 bucks a box of 20. About 2 boxes of shells is what I could go through in a shooting session because that steel plate dug into my shoulder so much (it was definitely designed for shoulders with thick winter jackets in mind). $300 is not bad but if you want something that is cheaper and safer to shoot, you can easily get a new Ruger or Savage in an American caliber for around the same price. In about the same category you could find an M48 and that is a Mauser action which is far better than the Nagant in almost every regards, plus the action is designed to vent gasses from ruptured cartridges away from the shooters face in the one in a million chance of that happening. It's a shame the surplus bolt gun market dried up but inevitable, now we are all fighting for scraps.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ace wrote:
About 2 boxes of shells is what I could go through in a shooting session because that steel plate dug into my shoulder so much

Haha, yup. I shot 60 rounds this morning, mostly through a carbine, and my shoulder is a bit tender. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man it looks like when I got into this gun/round back in 2011 it’s going to continue for the next few more years...

Back then bought rounds at about $0.17 per round (back in 2011-2014). I guess I’ll dig that stuff out again soon and start shooting more if it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Man it looks like when I got into this gun/round back in 2011 it’s going to continue for the next few more years...

Back then bought rounds at about $0.17 per round (back in 2011-2014). I guess I’ll dig that stuff out again soon and start shooting more if it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was buying Czech Silvertip ammo for 49.95 a case of 880 rds 15 years ago, it was an equal amount for shipping. Now it's 50 cents a rd and a 91/30 that was 79 bucks at Big 5 on sale with all accessories is 350 and up.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi Folks, I see this is an old thread, and I am a new member. I have been collecting and Shooting Mosin's for well over 10 years. I have had at one time or another M91's, M91/30, M44, M27, M28-76, M39's, as well as a couple of Romanian M44's, and a built from NOS parts a M39 target rifle. I have been accumulating parts for two Finnish Target Rifles; one is a TKIV-85, the other is Biathlon M28-57 (the stock is not Artic Birch, but is Finnish, and is a Mosin). I am in the Process of building a couple of rifles, one is a M28-30, All of the parts are surplus, and the barrel is a McGowan M28 pattern. Once I figure out how to insert some images I will post some pics.

For those of you who are looking for Finnish Parts, you can find them, but be advised get the part complete with all the hardware if at all possible. Finding those British Whitworth Standard (BSW) screws can be a real pain. Worse if they are specific to a part and be replaced with off the shelf BWS. Pins on the other hand can be recreated if you are smart about it. A good drill index can be useful determining the size that you need. You can by a drill bit or rod and cot it to size at alocal hardware store.

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thread is still alive, some of us still spend some time in the Mosin world (mostly Mauser world for me lol). I'm in the process of restoring a Remington M1891 that was built in 1917. The metal is in great shape, the bolt is a complete Westinghouse (all WH parts) and the stock is well, done, as it was sporterized then caught in a fire (no metal damage just back end of the buttstock).

So I am searching for a M91 stock set with no luck, but for now I'll more than likely put the M91 in a M91/30 stock set (so I can shoot it until I find the correct stock) and give it some range time. Also just need a M91/59 to finish out the Mosin Collection (no Finnish here) for now.

Cheers!

Scot

Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

genin88 wrote:
The thread is still alive, some of us still spend some time in the Mosin world (mostly Mauser world for me lol). I'm in the process of restoring a Remington M1891 that was built in 1917. The metal is in great shape, the bolt is a complete Westinghouse (all WH parts) and the stock is well, done, as it was sporterized then caught in a fire (no metal damage just back end of the buttstock).

So I am searching for a M91 stock set with no luck, but for now I'll more than likely put the M91 in a M91/30 stock set (so I can shoot it until I find the correct stock) and give it some range time. Also just need a M91/59 to finish out the Mosin Collection (no Finnish here) for now.

Cheers!

Scot

These guys have 91/30 stocks, also there are always some on ebay too.

I have an ugly wartime 91/30 that i need a stock for too. Not sure what i'm going to do with it, i'm almost tempted to put a psop on it(like a lot of the modern DMR mosins in places like syria).

Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next