Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Quiet, or powerful? (Suppressed 9mm vs unsuppressed 7.62x39) 

Quiet or powerful?
9mm Suppressed 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
7.62x39 unsuppressed 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 16

Quiet, or powerful? (Suppressed 9mm vs unsuppressed 7.62x39) 

Here is my choice for 9mm suppressor candidate . Very compact with a folding stock, will be getting a suppressor someday. Fits into this small backpack and goes with me 99% of the day. Love this thing and only into for about a grand with red dot, I like the AR but the Evo is just a more compact due to the side folding stock. Never been much into the MP5, probably because of cost and for the money it doesn't do anything the Evo won't besides being nostalgic. For the money the Evo is hard to beat imo. I have an M92 but I dont even want to think about shooting it multiple rounds with no earpro. Tho I carry earpro in my backpack I still prefer the 9mm over the 7.62x39 round for my backpack firearm. But both have their place. You cannot have enough choices tho per situation. Different tools for different jobs.
Image.

Last edited by PORTER on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The G34 in the FAB kpos....not considering the cost for tax stamps and a suppressor, this set would cost around $1200.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I ruled out 300 BO on cost and proprietary nature. Both x39 and especially 9mm are everywhere.

As far as suppression,rifles are problematic in terms of the size of can and ability to dissipate gases. I don't expect quiet out of suppressed rifles, other than subsonic 300bo. I'm well aware of supersonic crack. This is why the 147gr HST (or maybe even the 150gr HST, I will have to research) is the round of choice in 9mm not only for terminal ballistics but also for its natural subsonic qualities.

I have shot a 9mm MP5 suppressed, I believe they were 158gr?I think? Can't remember off the top of my head, but the only noise you heard was the cycling of the weapon. Ditto from a Glock 17, although with 115gr and 124gr there was audible cracks from rounds going supersonic. The sound from both of those was considerably less than a. 22

I'm not at all concerned about the law, like I said, this is just an insurance plan I'll never use. Let's be realistic, we all carry and the odds of any of us ever having to pull any weapon are so remote it's not even funny.

Dude, the 300 Blk is not that expensive anymore, and it's certainly not proprietary to anyone. Even the gun parts are almost all common with the 5.56, except the barrel. Your choice, but it sounds like the 300 isn't what you think it is.

Do you own any suppressors? You're talking to multiple people here who do, myself included. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the "rifles are problematic..." stuff, but maybe you've read more into internet chatter than is actual reality.

Yes, suppressed 9mm in either a Glock or MP5 is considerably less noise than an unsuppressed 22, but that's a long ways from "quiet as a pellet gun". Of course, if your experience involved shooting suppressed at a public range wearing hearing protection, they probably sounded quieter than they really are. I can shoot my suppressed Glocks outside at night without bothering the neighbors too much for example, but I wouldn't do it a bunch because they still make some noise, and that's with a Liberty Mystic X which is one of the quieter suppressors available for 9mm.

The MP5 platform suppressed is pretty nice to shoot though, and a bit quieter than a Glock or blowback carbine. The main downside there is just cost, it's hard to justify that much for just a "fun gun" for me at this point. The Zenith SBR I used this summer was exceptionally accurate though and I still think about getting one.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

db-elwood wrote:

The G34 in the FAB kpos....not considering the cost for tax stamps and a suppressor, this set would cost around $1200.

It's not any cheaper, but another option along those lines is a Glock milled for an RMR, with an Endo adapter and KAK shockwave brace. That combination works reasonably well and is a lot lighter than other 9mm carbine platforms.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
I ruled out 300 BO on cost and proprietary nature. Both x39 and especially 9mm are everywhere.

As far as suppression,rifles are problematic in terms of the size of can and ability to dissipate gases. I don't expect quiet out of suppressed rifles, other than subsonic 300bo. I'm well aware of supersonic crack. This is why the 147gr HST (or maybe even the 150gr HST, I will have to research) is the round of choice in 9mm not only for terminal ballistics but also for its natural subsonic qualities.

I have shot a 9mm MP5 suppressed, I believe they were 158gr?I think? Can't remember off the top of my head, but the only noise you heard was the cycling of the weapon. Ditto from a Glock 17, although with 115gr and 124gr there was audible cracks from rounds going supersonic. The sound from both of those was considerably less than a. 22

I'm not at all concerned about the law, like I said, this is just an insurance plan I'll never use. Let's be realistic, we all carry and the odds of any of us ever having to pull any weapon are so remote it's not even funny.

Dude, the 300 Blk is not that expensive anymore, and it's certainly not proprietary to anyone. Even the gun parts are almost all common with the 5.56, except the barrel. Your choice, but it sounds like the 300 isn't what you think it is.

The least expensive 300 subsonic I've seen is still ~1$/rd.... 147gr HST 9mm is ~$20/50, less than 50 cpr..

That's a significant difference.

Tack on training and familiarity requirements, which means easily chewing through a bunch of ammo, and it gets even worse...

I know what 300bo is, it's a .223 casing necked to a .308l bullet.... My point with availability is, if SHTF, where the hell can I get it? If I have to stash it, 300bo is gonna be a lot heavier, bulkier, and more expensive. I have x39 if I want 30 cal.

Quote:

Do you own any suppressors? You're talking to multiple people here who do, myself included. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the "rifles are problematic..." stuff, but maybe you've read more into internet chatter than is actual reality.

No, I don't own suppressors. I have used them and I know how they work. I'm not sure how you completely MISSED the other part of that sentence....

Quote:
As far as suppression,rifles are problematic in terms of the size of can and ability to dissipate gases

Given that rifle/intermediate rounds are generally burning more powder, higher pressures (5.56 almost twice chamber pressure as 9mm), that means that a larger volume of escaping gases, at a much higher velocity, have to be baffled and cooled.... This mean an increase in suppressor interior volume, requiring them to be larger in diameter and longer than a pistol caliber suppressor with the same range of noise reduction... Thus the 'problem' with rifle suppressors..

Quote:
Yes, suppressed 9mm in either a Glock or MP5 is considerably less noise than an unsuppressed 22, but that's a long ways from "quiet as a pellet gun". Of course, if your experience involved shooting suppressed at a public range wearing hearing protection, they probably sounded quieter than they really are. I can shoot my suppressed Glocks outside at night without bothering the neighbors too much for example, but I wouldn't do it a bunch because they still make some noise, and that's with a Liberty Mystic X which is one of the quieter suppressors available for 9mm.

Public range, no hearing protection. AK was still borderline painful when suppressed... MP5 was FA and sounded...like loud metallic paintball gun/pellet gun....You could hear the mechanics of metal, and 'whoosh' , but not anything identifiable as a gunshot, IMO. First shot louder, subsequent shots quieter, eventually got a hair louder after a couple mags.. Glock still had a noticeable crack, but very subdued, different suppressor than on MP5. I remember the rounds (not mine) were israeli I wanna say, specifically designed for sub guns/subsonic. They weren't mine and I'm not an expert by any means on specialty ammo.. The subsonic .22s out of a Ruger Mksomethingorother with a can, were outright silent...other than the hammer fall, and the slide cycling. I bet a quarter hitting a concrete sidewalk made more noise...

Quote:
The MP5 platform suppressed is pretty nice to shoot though
I remember being surprised at it being 'only 9mm' and having to maintain a proper grip so as to not start walking rounds up when in FA.... The AK was pretty useless in FA, IMO. 3 rounds and you're walking rounds up 6"+ at a time..
Quote:
The main downside there is just cost, it's hard to justify that much for just a "fun gun" for me at this point. The Zenith SBR I used this summer was exceptionally accurate though and I still think about getting one.

I too, was thinking Zenith, if I went that route.... But as you mentioned .. $$$ I'd also wanna do something like BFS but $$$$$ and the legality in WA is up in the air, depending on what your definition of 'is' is...

With your guys' help and input I've decided to quash the x39 deal, and go for smallest/lightest setup in 9mm.... Now to figure out which setup will work best.... and find a tiny 9mm suppressor... :D

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this just a mental masturbation topic of why X firearm won't work in Y application?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:50 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rix86 wrote:
Is this just a mental masturbation topic of why X firearm won't work in Y application?

Could be one of those "see that's why I carry x instead of y" self justification routines.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Btw that g34 in the kpos stick is sick! I like that way better than the roni stock!

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:

No, I think it's been quite productive with a lot of good ideas tossed around...

as my last post mentioned, LOTS of good ideas tossed around, some may work, others may not..

I'm at the point of x39 has been ruled out.

Now need to decide how small, how much to spend, and what works the best as a system...

I was crunching some numbers on a 9mm AR, and it runs into issues of either Glock mags or Colt mags... and with how I'd want it outfitted, it'd be pushing $1500 (side folding upper, folding stock,etc).. So might as well spend the extra couple bucks for an MP5 variant/clone. Then I start thinking about the carbine adapters, which start at $300, and each has some small compromise, and would require some modifications or additions, which would put it around the grand mark (including new pistol to permanently stay in it)... The Keltec is really interesting, but just not my cup of tea, the M&P mag version is especially enticing.. If I could modify it w/out a stamp, I'd probably go that route, but since it's a rifle, it must stay a rifle...

Then you got the Sig MPX, which I excluded for some reason or another. I think it was the $80 mags, and OAL too long... The Scorpion Evo is a contender, but currently it costs another $400+ on top of the gun cost to get a shorter bbl...which puts it up around $1200, which is very attractive in both feature set and price...

Like I said, LOTS of good ideas.. so, thank ya'll for that..

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You blew off my bolt-action suggestion . . . but the term "quiet as a pellet gun" kept coming up. Lemme tell ya, none of the semi-autos being discussed are as quiet as a pellet gun. The only gun I've shot that's truly that quiet is my 300BLK bolt-action, with the suppressor of course.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
You blew off my bolt-action suggestion . . . but the term "quiet as a pellet gun" kept coming up. Lemme tell ya, none of the semi-autos being discussed are as quiet as a pellet gun. The only gun I've shot that's truly that quiet is my 300BLK bolt-action, with the suppressor of course.

Bolt action is just, meh, to me... Sorry.

And yes, we may have had different pellet guns, hahaha...

That's the easiest way I could describe the sound signature, not necessarily the sound level, which can actually vary from shot to shot... which of course, is subjective based on where you're standing, the type of can you're using, the ammo, barometric pressure, how many rings saturn has that day, etc etc.

I'm also going off memory which hasn't been as great as it was, after my concussion. So, meh.. I know what to expect, and perfection isn't it...

Now, if you said you had a suppressed .50BMG for 2k$, I might make an exception and go bolt action.. :-p

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Rix86 wrote:

No, I think it's been quite productive with a lot of good ideas tossed around...

as my last post mentioned, LOTS of good ideas tossed around, some may work, others may not..

I'm at the point of x39 has been ruled out.

Now need to decide how small, how much to spend, and what works the best as a system...

I was crunching some numbers on a 9mm AR, and it runs into issues of either Glock mags or Colt mags... and with how I'd want it outfitted, it'd be pushing $1500 (side folding upper, folding stock,etc).. So might as well spend the extra couple bucks for an MP5 variant/clone. Then I start thinking about the carbine adapters, which start at $300, and each has some small compromise, and would require some modifications or additions, which would put it around the grand mark (including new pistol to permanently stay in it)... The Keltec is really interesting, but just not my cup of tea, the M&P mag version is especially enticing.. If I could modify it w/out a stamp, I'd probably go that route, but since it's a rifle, it must stay a rifle...

Then you got the Sig MPX, which I excluded for some reason or another. I think it was the $80 mags, and OAL too long... The Scorpion Evo is a contender, but currently it costs another $400+ on top of the gun cost to get a shorter bbl...which puts it up around $1200, which is very attractive in both feature set and price...

Like I said, LOTS of good ideas.. so, thank ya'll for that..

Yeah TL;DR
Was just guessing

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
The Scorpion Evo is a contender, but currently it costs another $400+ on top of the gun cost to get a shorter bbl...which puts it up around $1200...

I’m sorry you misunderstood what I posted. They will be coming from the factory with a shorter barrel and hand guard. Street pricing should be well below the 1k mark.

That’s why I posted “coming this summer” and not “buy a bunch of parts and build this”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
The Scorpion Evo is a contender, but currently it costs another $400+ on top of the gun cost to get a shorter bbl...which puts it up around $1200...

I’m sorry you misunderstood what I posted. They will be coming from the factory with a shorter barrel and hand guard. Street pricing should be well below the 1k mark.

That’s why I posted “coming this summer” and not “buy a bunch of parts and build this”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're gonna make me WAIT?! :cussing:
lol

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and 300blk is down around .50/rnd for the S&B 200gr that I have been shooting.

An 8" barrel with a can is about as long as a 16" though. I could shave a few inches by using my 9mm can.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next