Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Help with upper build 

I have been fantasizing about building my first AR upper. I don’t have unlimited funds and am shooting for an 800 dollar price range.

I have noticed Larue sells an unassembled upper for 800 bucks, and that includes a trigger and lower parts and stock. I am trying to do a little better and that’s why I’m posting. I don’t think I can do better but here is what I am thinking:

Seekins low profile adjustable gas block $50
Brownells pistol gas tube $9
Brownells milspec nitride finish BCG $139 (vs BCM $169)
Aero upper, assembled $69
Midwest industries 9” handguard $129
Silencerco 308 ASR break $84
BCM charging handle $49
Faxon firearms 10.5 300 blk barrel $159

I’m not sure about what barrel to get. It’s just a gun for fun shooting, so I don’t need a super barrel or anything. Same goes for all the parts listed. My priorities are price and reliability.

Any suggestions so far? Once I have this list settled, I’ll just camp out and wait for sales to come.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Primary Arms has some really inexpensive barrels right now... in the $70 range but on sale for $54 last I saw. Don't know how they shoot.

Faxon has some nice barrels that a lot of people like, but they are about twice as much.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitrited bcg should be less then 100 anytime. Check aimsurplus.com or primaryarms

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ballistic Advantage has a close out page

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could tic off a few items on your list with this:

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-assembled-upper-556-bcg-stnd-charging-handle-bundle.html

The CH isn't as nice as the BCM but you could swap out the latch for $20.

If you plan to use a suppressor most of the time the 10.5" barrel might be a bit long. My 300 AR has a 8.5" barrel and with a can on the front it ends up being about the same length as a 16" barreled AR. I only shoot it with a suppressor though. The 12" handguard goes over the can, some people don't like that.

The MI handguards I've looked at seemed heavier than they needed to be. They probably have better options now but keep weight in mind if you are using this on a pistol lower. Check Joe Bob Outfitters or Lanbo's for deals.

ETA: Found another deal on the upper:

http://www.monmouthreloading.com/shop/ar15-upper-receiver-bcg-combo/

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 am

If your budget is 800 do the larue, just save up a little more so you can get the larue lower, they don't sell the lower by it's self. Larue really makes a damn damn good gun, and with that deal you get a really nice trigger for 100 bucks. Also it's all one manufacture vs a Frankenstein build. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Your list doesn't include a parts kit, lower or buffer, buffer tube or stock, add those and you are up at larue money. Larue's shoot very good, sub moa.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.tomstactical.com/toolcraft-b ... 6-5.56-223

https://fortismfg.com/sale-items/ar15-f ... em-13-MLOK

very light. quad picatinny shit is more machining and more material - weight

this isn't 2009, skip the midwest dude, treat yoself. especially with a budget of 800.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You listed a .300 black out barrel in the OP. Is there a reason for that caliber? 223/556 would be a much more accessible and economical caliber to shoot for fun and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Ah....building a pistol?

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Yes. Pistol build, but i may apply for sbr at some point. I will also apply for a suppressor. That's why I put a 300 blk barrel in the original list. I am partially deaf as is.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a get a cheaper bcg and barrel, and save 100 bucks or more.

What about a side charging upper? It looks expensive, like 220 for a Gibbzarms upper but cool. It would kinda f the budget

What about the rail? Maybe an aero rail? Or something in the 130 dollar range.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Side-charging isn't actually all that expensive since it usually comes with a BCG and you don't have to buy a charging handle or any of the other upper kit pieces. I use one on my precision 5.56 upper and I've been really happy with it.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

reterderr wrote:
I have been fantasizing about building my first AR upper. I don’t have unlimited funds and am shooting for an 800 dollar price range.

I have noticed Larue sells an unassembled upper for 800 bucks, and that includes a trigger and lower parts and stock. I am trying to do a little better and that’s why I’m posting. I don’t think I can do better but here is what I am thinking:

BCM charging handle $49

I’m not sure about what barrel to get. It’s just a gun for fun shooting, so I don’t need a super barrel or anything. Same goes for all the parts listed. My priorities are price and reliability.

Any suggestions so far? Once I have this list settled, I’ll just camp out and wait for sales to come.

Would it not just be easier to buy an upper already assembled? You can upgrade certain parts if that's what you need. Prices on assembled uppers have come down in market prices as well.
I am not just talking my go to PSA uppers that everyone seems to hate. Aero prices have come down as well. At least you know you will get an upper that works right out the box.
Have you looked at Brownells?

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

n another thread a guy pointed to a sale from DeltaTeamTactical dot com. There were a lot of upper parts on sale there: forward assists, barrel extensions, stripped uppers...

FJB

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:07 pm

reterderr wrote:

BCM charging handle $49

PM inbound.

Ric

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies?dir=asc&order=price&spec_caliber=16&spec_charging=107
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies?cat=22

Enjoy.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next