Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 AR Build 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a thread that can go on forever and the advice above is all great. Just remember that the AR platform is Barbi for men, you can change parts of your finished AR if your needs or interests change. I have one AR that has a new upper, stock assembly and trigger. Is it still the same AR I built originally? Not really but I don't care, that's half the fun. I guess what I am saying is make some thoughtful decisions about purpose and budget and go for it, no part choice is permanent.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't call it barbie but I see your point.

It's rare that I buy anything assembled anymore, Seems like I always want to change something and I hate buying parts I don't want/need.

Right now I'm working on a block II clone which involves a lot of patience to find the right parts.

I've found that a spreadsheet helps with builds. I can check things off as I buy them and can easily see what parts I still need.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So checking the deals page that is here on the forum I went with a PSA upper: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-5 ... 47166.html I was reading that FN made their barrels, but I don't know if that is still the case.

I figured this will give me a chance to get a base upper unit, get my foot in the door with building, and swap out parts as needed. I hear what folks are saying on buying a better barrel, but I don't want to drop some coin on one, only to find out I want to go in another direction, and here I sit with a nice barrel in my safe telling me to build it a home. I'm sure some of you are to the point of, "Oh look an extra detent pin, looks like I have to build another AR so it has somewhere to go." Building an AR seems like making a Bob Ross painting. You can always make a happy little tree here or there and take your work in another direction. I'm into homebrewing as well, and it's always a process of buying this or that to make the experience better or more efficient.

I love the advice that folks have been giving, and it seems that a lot of it comes down to personal preference on parts, and there is always the next build. Too bad there wasn't a huge spread sheet that was created that showed parts, what they were made of, how they preformed, and longevity all compared to price. This way you know if you are paying for quality, or just a name, or if you buy Kirkland you are really getting some high end brand for much less if you know what I mean.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Wetpaperbag wrote:
I love the advice that folks have been giving, and it seems that a lot of it comes down to personal preference on parts, and there is always the next build.

Good choice, 16" is a great do-all length.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

223 Wylde chambering in a 1:8 Twist will allow to shoot most everything from 55gr to 75gr. Ballistic Advantage barrels are IMHO the best bang for the buck; guaranteed sub-moa. Buy it from Monmouth Reloading for the best price.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
So checking the deals page that is here on the forum I went with a PSA upper: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-5 ... 47166.html I was reading that FN made their barrels, but I don't know if that is still the case.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to suggest, based on your descriptions of what you want. Only thing I'd have suggested differently would be a stainless barrel, but what you got will work fine.

Now pick up one of their complete lowers with Magpul furniture; I prefer the ACS-L stock but everybody's different. Don't forget to buy a handful of Pmags, as well as some XM193 or XM855 ammo to blast with. Expect to get better accuracy with premium ammo of course, but you'll pay for that accordingly unless you load your own.

Once you have all that, you can figure out how the parts all work together and figure out what you want to change or do differently next time. They really are like Barbies for men, with all the options to configure your rifle exactly the way you want it.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:04 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Wetpaperbag wrote:

I figured this will give me a chance to get a base upper unit, get my foot in the door with building, and swap out parts as needed. I hear what folks are saying on buying a better barrel, but I don't want to drop some coin on one, only to find out I want to go in another direction, and here I sit with a nice barrel in my safe telling me to build it a home. I'm sure some of you are to the point of, "Oh look an extra detent pin, looks like I have to build another AR so it has somewhere to go." Building an AR seems like making a Bob Ross painting. You can always make a happy little tree here or there and take your work in another direction. I'm into homebrewing as well, and it's always a process of buying this or that to make the experience better or more efficient.

I love the advice that folks have been giving, and it seems that a lot of it comes down to personal preference on parts, and there is always the next build. Too bad there wasn't a huge spread sheet that was created that showed parts, what they were made of, how they preformed, and longevity all compared to price. This way you know if you are paying for quality, or just a name, or if you buy Kirkland you are really getting some high end brand for much less if you know what I mean.

My synopsis on this thread. You're fucked. I know the telltale signs of the AR-15 bug and you've got it. Don't fight it, you'll never win. Just enjoy the ride.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:

My synopsis on this thread. You're fucked. I know the telltale signs of the AR-15 bug and you've got it. Don't fight it, you'll never win. Just enjoy the ride.

Yeah, I agree. I was just thinking about cost of ownership, and how this is leading down a dark path of 'things to buy.' I suppose the natural progression is to start reloading. Owning an AR is like a paper hole you shoot money into.

Update, I got my upper from PSA, pretty exciting. With any gun or gun related purchase there always seems to be a quick gun boner phase. My wife thought it was funny on how excited I was. One question though, is it common for upper parts (from PSA or otherwise) to have wear/rub marks on the finish, or the BCG to have wear marks?

My upper also came with Magpul MOE sights, and is it common for those things to be difficult to get on? I've had things be snug, but these are tight. I've never had rail stuff not want to go on. I have picatinny rail attachments on a few others rifles with no issues.

Thoughts?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tight is good

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 am

Everything else is covered but honestly I think the tech forums over on ar15.com are very helpful. The mods are good about stomping anyone who shits on a new poster wanting help with building a rifle.

Not saying that it's necessarily better than here but you will get more responses for sure... Maybe too many.

As far as "rub marks" is concerned many of the bearing surfaces and rails which support the bolt carrier will lose their anodized/parkerized finish as the parts break in. Perfectly normal.

Some people even suggest taking a new BCG and upper and sit there while you watch a movie, sliding the BCG in and out with a light lube coat to break in any rough surfaces. I've done it myself. Of course shooting the rifle will take care of this as well.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:26 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Wetpaperbag wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I was just thinking about cost of ownership, and how this is leading down a dark path of 'things to buy.' I suppose the natural progression is to start reloading. Owning an AR is like a paper hole you shoot money into.

Update, I got my upper from PSA, pretty exciting. With any gun or gun related purchase there always seems to be a quick gun boner phase. My wife thought it was funny on how excited I was. One question though, is it common for upper parts (from PSA or otherwise) to have wear/rub marks on the finish, or the BCG to have wear marks?

My upper also came with Magpul MOE sights, and is it common for those things to be difficult to get on? I've had things be snug, but these are tight. I've never had rail stuff not want to go on. I have picatinny rail attachments on a few others rifles with no issues.

Thoughts?

Sooooo.....did you buy some Blemished items? Can you post some pics? And no, normally, new parts shouldn't have wear on them.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put some Oil on the "blem" marks and rub it in. Wipe it down and see if they are gone.
I have found that some thing on PSA stuff and they generally go away with lube.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got it all done, and sadly it fell overboard when I let a buddy look at it while out fishing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Are your sights on backwards?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/