Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What dealer has the largest selection of scopes? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're going to be shooting 100 yds or more I would highly suggest an adjustable parallax .

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
If you're going to be shooting 100 yds or more I would highly suggest an adjustable parallax .

Not quite. If you have more than 12x as your top power, you should have adjustable parallax correction.

While most lower power scopes are set for a distance of 100-150 yards, the induced parallax, even at longer distances, is negligible for anything except the most precise requirement.

Keeping a consistent cheek weld and eye position is the best defense.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:
JesseM wrote:
I'm thinking Cabelas but I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

Cabelas is ok, just depends on the brand. If I remember right, they don't have much/anything by Weaver and Sightron (two good brands). I like to buy used and then re-sell the scope if it doesn't work out. Usually takes me a few trips to the range before I get a good idea of how much I like it.

SporkBoy wrote:
Do you know how to measure parallax? Best scopes have least parallax.

Even after being 'corrected' the residual parallax is substantial on many scopes.

Really? Usually anything with an adjustable objective or side focus can be corrected for parallax. The real test is whether you can get it focused and parallax free at the same time. Resolution, clarity, and contrast are important too.

Really. First in a series of questions that reveals the practical needs of the user. Parallax separates those that know their needs from those that don't.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys are waving your dicks around about higher level optics stuff than what the OP needs to hear about.

Holster your weasels

At least compare different optics (specific models) so the OP can see the differences and price compare. Talking about theoretical examples are going to do him no good.

This is what I went with to learn the basics:

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

It's been a great scope. Sure there are better, but this one has all the basics covered and the glass is pretty good for the price.

I can't remember what I paid for it but it was on sale and came with a free mount. Free heavy mount is heavy though.

It's a completely different animal than the 1-4 on my recce rifle. Both are good scopes but do different things.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Cabellas.
Sportco in Fife or Outdoor Emporium in Seattle (same owner).
Sportman's Warehouse.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

everyone is forgetting the one and only......

group shoots. ask to look and talk about it

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse, Sportco - those are my go to places when I want to physically get my hands on a scope before making a purchase. Make sure you find out where they have the eye chart posted at the opposite side of the store so you can compare clarity and color accuracy between different manufacturers and models. Also find some sort of reference point on the far wall so you can compare field of view.

Not specifically what you were asking for since it's online, but if you order from Optics Planet they offer free returns on unused items, even if there wasn't anything wrong with it. I ordered three $1k+ spotting scopes from OP so I could test them side by side, then returned all but the one I liked the most.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:44 am

rodell wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:

Not quite. If you have more than 12x as your top power, you should have adjustable parallax correction.

While most lower power scopes are set for a distance of 100-150 yards, the induced parallax, even at longer distances, is negligible for anything except the most precise requirement.

Keeping a consistent cheek weld and eye position is the best defense.

Nailed it, parallax is really important for high power and close distance. Low power and long distance makes it it less noticeable. You can check by setting the rifle in a rest and moving your head back and forth behind the scope without touching it. Parallax will cause the reticle to move on the target.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2