Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Paul Bunyan Range Comments 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,
I have signed up to join the Paul Bunyan Range and was wondering what other people's experience is with that range so I can make a more informed decision.
I am looking for a rifle range where I can shoot prone, sitting, standing.
I went there for a Hunter's Education class and liked that they had a trap range and pistol range.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shot quite a bit at Paul Bunyan when I lived in the Olympia area. Attended the regular IHMSA match there as well as the Pistol Steels match on 3rd Sundays. Both were great matches with nice folks. The action pistol bays are pretty awesome. The rifle range is out to 200 yards and pretty nice. Have never shot there outside the matches though so can't really comment on the membership and range rules.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's IHMSA? I've shot the uspsa and idpa matches there, great people and great facility.
The rifle range has an 8 round mag limit, which is no problem if you are shooting a garand ;)
They have lights for night shooting on the rifle range and pistol range.
I'm not a member, but I've had nothing but good experiences there.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
What's IHMSA? I've shot the uspsa and idpa matches there, great people and great facility.
The rifle range has an 8 round mag limit, which is no problem if you are shooting a garand ;)

IHMSA is the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association. Basically shooting metallic silhouettes at ranges from 25 to 200 yards, typically with either break action (T/C Contender) or bolt action (Rem XP-100) long-barreled handguns with elevation adjustable sights. I think the sport has seen better days in terms of attendance although personally I really enjoy it and find shooting steel to be a lot of fun. It does have timed relays though the timing limits are really generous so it's basically the opposite of action shooting. Hard front sight focus with emphasis on pure accuracy.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a member. It's close to me so convenient and affordable.

The facilities are nice, and the hours are really good. Check their calendar before going at any given time since they often have ranges closed for events.

There are three dumb rules. Only 8 rounds in your mag. No rapid fire. No human face targets like zombies or Osama, etc.

Other than that, it's a well-spent $100 yearly expense.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Duke EB wrote:

IHMSA is the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association. Basically shooting metallic silhouettes at ranges from 25 to 200 yards, typically with either break action (T/C Contender) or bolt action (Rem XP-100) long-barreled handguns with elevation adjustable sights. I think the sport has seen better days in terms of attendance although personally I really enjoy it and find shooting steel to be a lot of fun. It does have timed relays though the timing limits are really generous so it's basically the opposite of action shooting. Hard front sight focus with emphasis on pure accuracy.

Thanks GWG!

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Great range for target rifle and pistol with long range hours and lights. Usually pretty empty. Can't use the action bays unless you're a RSO if I remember correctly.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. I am right between Paul Bunyan and Renton Fish & Game so it is a toss up which is why I am asking for people's opinions.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

78Rainier wrote:
Thanks. I am right between Paul Bunyan and Renton Fish & Game so it is a toss up which is why I am asking for people's opinions.

Renton only allows 1 round loaded at a time for rifle unless it's a function test, or something similar.
It's also public, so a wide variety of experience in shooters. RO's are pretty strict due to this.
PB is private.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been a member there for about five years. For the most part it is a decent range, but I don't manage to get there as often I'd like.

My biggest issue is how often they schedule events and don't update the schedule. I move around things in my day to make time, drive 45 minutes to get there, only to find out that that range is closed.

Here's a recent comment:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37788&p=756708&hilit=Paul+Bunyan#p756708

There was another incident a few years ago where my Dad and I showed up to the handgun range on a Sunday (with nothing on the schedule) and we had been shooting for about five minutes when all of a sudden a huge group of folks (adults and teens) not wearing any eye or ear protection came in, so we stopped shooting immediately and set down our handguns and one guy came over and started chewing us out about having live guns on a cold range and that they had reserved the range and we need to learn how to read a schedule.

I double checked the schedule as soon as we got to the car and nothing at all was listed for that day.

Good times indeed.

In the summer it can be difficult to get any range time on the weekends due to the number of events going on. I guess it is good that it is a thriving hub of shooting competitions though.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]