Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Latest PEW Poll on Guns 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have got to be kidding me? The most surprising "data", for me, were the responses of gun owners:

"On other regulations, there are significant disagreements. Eighty percent of non-gun owners said there should be a federal database tracking all gun sales, a sentiment shared by 54 percent of gun owners. Seventy-seven percent of non-gun owners support banning assault-style weapons, while 48 percent of gun owners agreed with the proposal."

[url]http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/06/22/Opinions-vary-widely-on-gun-regulations-Pew-poll-shows/1291498151879/?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=14[url]

the link may not work (copy and paste it) since the way one pastes URL to these threads is retarded for touch screens.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fake news

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fake poll.

Chosen target participants at the very least.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many gun owners don't understand modern sporting rifles (AKs and ARs) and believe a ban is reasonable.

Ask around - you'd be surprised.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/06/ ... _medium=14

Most of the time the reply box speaks HTML

As for the poll. Stupid people abound. Scary guns are scary. My wife and adult daughter still will say "That gun looks scary", and if polled, I am unsure how they would answer the questions. After all the education, all the exposure from me - they know how guns work. It's not they are against the 2nd Amendment and don't care if I own 2 or 200 guns. My wife asks me to arm up. She feels safe in the home when I have quick access. But if asked in a poll..........

The media and schools are that strong.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:

the problem is trying to hit precisely in between the infernal brackets on the IMG and URL gizmos for pasting the image or link. With a big fat finger on a touch screen, hitting a pixel wide target aint gonna happen except by sheer luck and only very occasionally.

TOS has a much better system for copying and pasting images and links (but they don't have the fancy YouTube tool)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pew research is petty much the only poll service I trust.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
Many gun owners don't understand modern sporting rifles (AKs and ARs) and believe a ban is reasonable.

Sadly, this is true. I went to college with people like this. They're hunters, but they don't do a lot of recreational shooting. They're comfortable with their bolt-action .30-06, .357 wheel gun, and duck shotgun. They don't see a need for themselves or anyone else to own an AR-15, Glock 17, or Benelli M4. The ignorace/short-sightedness of this mindset is baffling, especially considering these are otherwise intelligent, pro-freedom-minded people.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Benja455 wrote:

Sadly, this is true. I went to college with people like this. They're hunters, but they don't do a lot of recreational shooting. They're comfortable with their bolt-action .30-06, .357 wheel gun, and duck shotgun. They don't see a need for themselves or anyone else to own an AR-15, Glock 17, or Benelli M4. The ignorace/short-sightedness of this mindset is baffling, especially considering these are otherwise intelligent, pro-freedom-minded people.

:plusone: :plusone:

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/06/22/Opinions-vary-widely-on-gun-regulations-Pew-poll-shows/1291498151879/?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=14

As for the poll. Stupid people abound. Scary guns are scary. My wife and adult daughter still will say "That gun looks scary", and if polled, I am unsure how they would answer the questions. After all the education, all the exposure from me - they know how guns work. It's not they are against the 2nd Amendment and don't care if I own 2 or 200 guns. My wife asks me to arm up. She feels safe in the home when I have quick access. But if asked in a poll..........

The media and schools are that strong.

Good point! :yes:

Paste in what you want to link. Highlight it. Then go up and choose the URL button. What you highlighted will automatically be put in the url brackets and become a link when you post. (and by the way, it was made into a link, anyway.)

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
pew research is petty much the only poll service I trust.

^^^ This. I would chalk these surprising (appalling?) responses up to ignorance or bias on the part of the study's participants, not a bias in the questioning or interpretation of the results. Pew's write-up on the study is here -- http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/americas-complex-relationship-with-guns/ -- if you're interested in more detail.

Also, note that study participants are all part of Pew's American Trends Panel, which is comprised of people recruited via landline and cell phones. The panel is used for surveys on a lot of social issues but I don't know how many gun owners are willing to discuss their firearms ownership with some random surveyor on the telephone. When discussing gun trends, this participant pool may or may not be as "average American" as it is for the other topics they cover.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
Paste in what you want to link. Highlight it. Then go up and choose the URL button. What you highlighted will automatically be put in the url brackets and become a link when you post. (and by the way, it was made into a link, anyway.)

:thumbsup2: Thanks, I'll try that.

FJB

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Selador wrote:

Yup, this ^ is easier.

But also . . . on my phone (iPhone), I can tap and HOLD the screen, and then I get a little magnifier window. I can then drag my finger across the screen to the point where I want it, then release. This means that I don't need to "hit" the right spot on the first tap.

Also note that most URLs don't require that you use the "url" tags. Just paste into your post, click Submit and you're good. Sometimes you'll get one with a funky format that needs the url tag, but most do not.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I met a retired 1st SGT that believed us lowly citizens should not have AR's/AK's. Needless to say my desire to further talk with him diminished greatly. These are some of the same people that voted for 594.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I met a retired 1st SGT that believed us lowly citizens should not have AR's/AK's. Needless to say my desire to further talk with him diminished greatly. These are some of the same people that voted for 594.

In his defense, if you served in the military, you saw the general competence shown with guns, by the average GI Joe... :ROFLMAO:

Do justice. Love mercy.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next