Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:59 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Help with 4 gun lot appraisal (Colt and High Standard) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alright guys, a coworker is in a bind and needs some cash to see his daughter graduate from the Marines back in SC. He is a new guy from California, and inherited these from his father and grandfather.
I'm looking to buy this whole lot from him and also another of long guns, but I have a good handle on that one. Any help with fair values for each, and/or all would be nice. All help iland knowledge is appreciated.

I know this 1911 isn't exactly original, but it is a 1943 as far as I can tell. But with the safety, nm bbl, bushing, and sights not being original, what does something like this go for now? Otherwise the park is in good shape, and no major issues other than the work done.

This Colt 1903 is in killer shape. Some light scuffing on the left side near the muzzle. Otherwise gorgeous.

Next is a Colt .22 revolver. My buddy has this exact same gun and is a blast to shoot. This one is near impeccable as well. Perfect timing and tight lock up.

This last piece is a High Standard HD Military. I know they can be very popular and this one is damn nice. Looks to be barely handled and shot. But the grip angle is crazy.

Thanks in advance!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:49 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I dunno exactly but if the price is right I'll buy all of them.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not set up a gofundme for him?

I personally dont like the idea of buying a guys grandfathers' and fathers' inherited guns from him when he is in financial hard times (unless he really doesnt want them). How much does he need to go see the graduation and whatnot?

I will chip in to a gofund me for him. Who else?

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im with you on that. But he is set on selling these. As I mentioned, he is a California transplant and him and his wife both arent exactly into them. Just held onto them as they were in the family.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:

I personally dont like the idea of buying a guys grandfathers' and fathers' inherited guns from him when he is in financial hard times (unless he really doesnt want them). How much does he need to go see the graduation and whatnot?

Same here, hate to see him have to sell heirlooms he probably would rather keep, especially to go see his daughter become a grunt. I'd chip in as well.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:

Same here, hate to see him have to sell heirlooms he probably would rather keep, especially to go see his daughter become a grunt. I'd chip in as well.

I offered fo help him out. Even offered to "pawn" them for him, obviously at much bett er r rates and terms than a pawn shop. He just wants to sell them. Several times he made it clear that its just "stuff".

So back to the intent of this thread. Any help? I was told this morning the 1903 has a "leather pouch holster" to go with it. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That High Standard looks to be in excellent shape. I'd guess it's worth $400-500 in that condition, but that's just my 2 cents.

If you wind up buying it, I think you'll be impressed with it. Mine is beat to hell on the outside, but it's a great shooter. They're known for being fussy with magazines, so if you find it has failure-to-feed issues, you may have to invest in the High Standard Magazine Adjustment Tool.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My gut feeling is $2500 - 3000.00 for all four.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:

Wow, I'm glad I'm asking here. Im not looking to make a killing, but I'm also not dead set on keeping all these either. I was going to offer much, much less. Whether he took it or not is his choice.

I was going to break my offers down somewhere close to this, not for sure, but ballpark.

1911- $600
1903-$450
High Standard - $250
Colt .22 - $300

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:02 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

Wow, I'm glad I'm asking here. Im not looking to make a killing, but I'm also not dead set on keeping all these either. I was going to offer much, much less. Whether he took it or not is his choice.

I was going to break my offers down somewhere close to this, not for sure, but ballpark.

1911- $600
1903-$450
High Standard - $250
Colt .22 - $300

Be careful with that 1911. I'd have it appraised by someone that is very familiar with the National Match 1911's. It has a lowered ejection port. Also has plenty of Armorer's marks and depending on who the Armorer was alone could double its value ...or more.

It Could be a real National Match pistol used in military competition.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

1911- $600
1903-$450
High Standard - $250
Colt .22 - $300

Shucks, J-man, I was thinking retail.

1911, more like $12 - 1500 - if you replace the modern crap with old GI parts.

1903, $6-700 depending on how good the finish looks, and if it is stock original.

Hi Standard, yeah, $500 - it is a nice one.

Colt 22, $400 - it looks pretty clean.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Give him 1400 one hundred dollar bills. That should get you them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:27 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

APA wrote:

icon_eek :whatthe: 1400 x 100 = $140,000 :timeout:

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Retail on the 1903 could be upwards of 1200 in excellent shape. I have seen shooters sell for 700.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Massivedesign wrote:
APA wrote:

icon_eek :whatthe: 1400 x 100 = $140,000 :timeout:

Brain fart!!! Shit.
That would be awesome for the seller. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next