Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 New Glock G40 10mm MOS hunter first field trip 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I finally got my Glock G40 10mm Hunter I've been waiting for. I had an Eotech 3.5 MOA mini red dot sight on it before I went to bed. It is impressive pistol to look at because of the long slide. It takes up the whole tupperware. It is a Gen. 4 and has the selection of back straps. I went with the med. beaver tail addition. The ammo was Underwood 180 grain FMJ at 1350 fps. After getting on the box at 10 yards, I kept adjusting the sight and backing up. I stopped at 33 yards. After I plugged the holes in the box and target, I backed up to 100', kneeled down on one knee and gave it my best for 16 rounds. Not bad for me. Top of the target was the end with the bullet hole off the target. I will shoot it off the bench and a rest at 100 yards tomorrow if the weather's not too bad and post the results.... Preliminary impression, I love this pistol :bigsmile: .

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice! I've been intrigued by this gun since they came out, but I haven't bought one.

How do you like the sight?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this will be the next pistol I buy..

VERY nice

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Nice! I've been intrigued by this gun since they came out, but I haven't bought one.

How do you like the sight?

Love the sight except... The power brightness button is on the back of the sight so I can't put a tall suppressor sight set on it to co-witness through the sight. I bought a Trijicon RM07 sight which has the buttons on the side and is a little smaller and the suppressor sights stick up and co-witness but.... the lens is dark, almost like sunglasses and I didn't like that. The Eotech is clear so I liked it better.
Since this is not a devoted self defense weapon, I may put a tall rear sight on it with a 3/16" hole drilled through it to push the button. I'd just leave it on auto adjust. Worse case scenario, you can look through the Eotech at your iron sights. We'll see. I want to see how well it shoots at 100 yards. Might be a match barrel in it's future. :thumbsup2:

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had no idea about the G40, which isn't much of a shocker as I'm not really a Glock guy. But I have been thinking about a G20.

I like this one though. Not sure why cause it looks like every other Glock.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

everyone may hate the glock. but they at least build a great 10mm.

the long slide is 1 1/4" longer than a 1911 that means its almost as long as the 17l

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:34 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That front blade sight looks like it's already suppressor height?

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

100'? That's pretty stinking cool.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:48 am

How is the case support on that factory barrel ? I have heard factory10mm barrels on the G20 have a small area in the chamber that do not fully support case, leading to case bulging. Is this happening with your spent cases that you can tell ?

That long slide is a beaut, I may forgo the conversion barrel for my G21 and pick up a G40 instead

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:46 am

I have a 6" storm lake conversion barrel for my 21 to shoot 10mm. But I'm still wanting this gun badly. Especially for hunting in this overgrown mess in western Washington.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:24 am

hermdog2004 wrote:
I have a 6" storm lake conversion barrel for my 21 to shoot 10mm. But I'm still wanting this gun badly. Especially for hunting in this overgrown mess in western Washington.

How's that run for you ? Any hiccups ? My G21 is a Gen4 and eats all forms of .45, I'm just on the fence on conversion barrels just because I hear they are literally hit or miss on reliability.

Sorry for the threadjack, BadClam.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
That front blade sight looks like it's already suppressor height?

It is. I didn't install the rear sight because it blocked access to the on off on my Eotech sight.
The larger tall front sight makes it faster to find the front sight through the glass on the Eotech.
The technique I'm using is to look through the glass, find the front sight and roll the weapon down to quickly find the red dot. It's not easy to quickly find a red dot on a pistol without a technique of some kind and practice. At least not for me. I have to figure out a way to get a rear sight to speed it up even more.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:
How is the case support on that factory barrel ? I have heard factory10mm barrels on the G20 have a small area in the chamber that do not fully support case, leading to case bulging. Is this happening with your spent cases that you can tell ?

That long slide is a beaut, I may forgo the conversion barrel for my G21 and pick up a G40 instead

No problems, I looked, and I'm shooting hot loads.
The Delta 10mm has problems with too much exposed case on the ramp and leaves "smiles" on the brass with hot loads.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:56 am

I bought a Gen 3 and a LW longslide with the intent of building a Glock 20L and of course a few months later Glock announced the 40. Never have gotten around to finishing mine but it's tempting just to buy a 40.

Here's the result of my 10mm at 100 yards. Homemade half size silhouettes. The front sight is as wide at that range as both targets standing shoulder to shoulder.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HawkCreek wrote:
I bought a Gen 3 and a LW longslide with the intent of building a Glock 20L and of course a few months later Glock announced the 40. Never have gotten around to finishing mine but it's tempting just to buy a 40.

Well I finished mine the same month Glock announced the 40! I had no idea, I guess I should have been paying better attention.

Pluses of finishing yours: You have all the pieces I assume? If so, just do it. If you haven't bought the 20SF yet then dilemma time. Maybe best to sell the 20L slide and barrel to someone who already has a 20.

OK overall, pluses of 20L: You can dial it in.

Negatives: You have to dial it in. My Lone Wolf slide is the heavy weight with no cut outs. (Which is sort of a positive) BUT it seems spring matching is a PITA. A 20# spring is too much spring even for hot ammo, and way way too much spring for plinking ammo. BUT a 17# spring is just too light for most all ammo. Way light for hot stuff, just a hair light for hot stuff. Trouble is, no one makes a captive 18 or 19 # recoil spring. But alas Wolfe Springs makes a free standing stainless guide rod and loose 18 and 19# springs. THEN the Lone Wolf chamber is just super tight. Kind of a good thing, but makes for too many FTF's. No one local to ream it, so I went to town on the chamber with valve lapping compound and a .45 bronze bore brush. Worked really nice. I was surprised. Followed up with polishing compound. Finally the thing seems to be running OK. Just ordered a funky outside belt $18 holster (that should fit a Glock 20L/40 and 41).

My point? Maybe a Glock 40 is better!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]