Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883  Next
 What did you do today in the world of firearms? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another trip to the range report.

stompah wrote:

What we wont blame on me is the action of this gun. I shot 2 cylinders of 38 Special without issue. Then I switched over to 357 Magnum and the problems began. A few times when pulling back the hammer it encountered resistance after 75% pull. Like there was a piece of rubber that was causing resistance. Which I couldn't overcome so let the hammer back down and pulled it back to the next round. Every cylinder of 357 had this issue mostly once but sometimes twice. One time even after I swung the cylinder open to position it to rotate on the skipped round.

The 686 was doing the same thing today. I shot 25 357 and 25 38. It hiccuped on both. I can feel it snagging, on what I do not know. I might try another brand of 357 and see if it does it with that also, otherwise it will have to go hack to S&W.

Quote:

I brought my Combat Armory Glone to the range. I have been experimenting with my 3D printer and printed up some suppressor height sights. The mistake I made was I printed a small batch of tests sights at normal suppressor height and then modified the file to make them a millimeter or two taller. Well I had a normal suppressor height sight on the back and then threw a taller one on the front. Huge whoopsie. I noticed this right away when aiming at the target for the first time. So I did a 'lil stompah elevation compensation and shot a 5 round mag. Not even close to workable. Then I loaded another 5 rounds and tried using only the green dot. The front sight is way too tall and obstructs the dot. After 10 reliable rounds I put it away.

Matching sight height and it shoots great. I will have to modify the sight height as the dot is blocked by the front sight. Not a big deal to edit the files and reprint.

Quote:

Then I moved onto my SCT frame lower with Gen 3 23 upper and factory Glock Mag. I had some hiccups. I had the slide lock back after the first round. That was most likely me. But after 10s of thousands of rounds through various semi autos I have never had that happen. But, I will still blame myself. Then I had several failure to feeds. I will have to figure that out.

I replaced the trigger assembly and it shot 100%. I suspect this gun was ditched in water and some parts are corroded. There was light rusting inside the slide when I got it. I cleaned it all up but springs are corroded and where the rear sight meets the slide there is a line of rust. So it will have be torn down 100%. I am debating sending just the slide back to Glock for them to refresh it. The cost of parts may be less than shipping a slide to them.

I also shot my Gen 4 Glone Wolf with a G23 slide. It has some aftermarket trigger. The Glock Night Sights are worn and very shiny which mess up my focus (old eyes.) I will be swapping over to basic polymer Glock Sights or some fiber optic sights if I can find a decent pair for slightly more than stock Glock.

I wanted to shoot my KM Tactical G40 10mm slide assembly. But when racking it was catching. The round plate on the recoil spring that sits in the barrel was loose and I believe was catching on the frame. It would bind the slide and hold it open just forward of where the slide release would hold it back. It did the same with my G21 spring. KMT is sending another spring assembly but I do not think that will solve the problem.

So I decided to take the G29 out to play aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnddddddd left the ammo on the kitchen counter.

I bought a new G35 Gen 4 on GunBroker. I'm just waiting for it to get out of jail. That one is gonna be a fun range toy. It will get the Glock Performance Trigger and some nice sights.

Last night I *may* have ordered some Speer 9mm 124gr ammo. Since I haven't been doing any reloading and don't even have my gear set up.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

stompah wrote:
Another trip to the range report.

stompah wrote:

What we wont blame on me is the action of this gun. I shot 2 cylinders of 38 Special without issue. Then I switched over to 357 Magnum and the problems began. A few times when pulling back the hammer it encountered resistance after 75% pull. Like there was a piece of rubber that was causing resistance. Which I couldn't overcome so let the hammer back down and pulled it back to the next round. Every cylinder of 357 had this issue mostly once but sometimes twice. One time even after I swung the cylinder open to position it to rotate on the skipped round.

The 686 was doing the same thing today. I shot 25 357 and 25 38. It hiccuped on both. I can feel it snagging, on what I do not know. I might try another brand of 357 and see if it does it with that also, otherwise it will have to go hack to S&W.

Quote:

I brought my Combat Armory Glone to the range. I have been experimenting with my 3D printer and printed up some suppressor height sights. The mistake I made was I printed a small batch of tests sights at normal suppressor height and then modified the file to make them a millimeter or two taller. Well I had a normal suppressor height sight on the back and then threw a taller one on the front. Huge whoopsie. I noticed this right away when aiming at the target for the first time. So I did a 'lil stompah elevation compensation and shot a 5 round mag. Not even close to workable. Then I loaded another 5 rounds and tried using only the green dot. The front sight is way too tall and obstructs the dot. After 10 reliable rounds I put it away.

Matching sight height and it shoots great. I will have to modify the sight height as the dot is blocked by the front sight. Not a big deal to edit the files and reprint.

Quote:

Then I moved onto my SCT frame lower with Gen 3 23 upper and factory Glock Mag. I had some hiccups. I had the slide lock back after the first round. That was most likely me. But after 10s of thousands of rounds through various semi autos I have never had that happen. But, I will still blame myself. Then I had several failure to feeds. I will have to figure that out.

I replaced the trigger assembly and it shot 100%. I suspect this gun was ditched in water and some parts are corroded. There was light rusting inside the slide when I got it. I cleaned it all up but springs are corroded and where the rear sight meets the slide there is a line of rust. So it will have be torn down 100%. I am debating sending just the slide back to Glock for them to refresh it. The cost of parts may be less than shipping a slide to them.

I also shot my Gen 4 Glone Wolf with a G23 slide. It has some aftermarket trigger. The Glock Night Sights are worn and very shiny which mess up my focus (old eyes.) I will be swapping over to basic polymer Glock Sights or some fiber optic sights if I can find a decent pair for slightly more than stock Glock.

I wanted to shoot my KM Tactical G40 10mm slide assembly. But when racking it was catching. The round plate on the recoil spring that sits in the barrel was loose and I believe was catching on the frame. It would bind the slide and hold it open just forward of where the slide release would hold it back. It did the same with my G21 spring. KMT is sending another spring assembly but I do not think that will solve the problem.

So I decided to take the G29 out to play aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnddddddd left the ammo on the kitchen counter.

I bought a new G35 Gen 4 on GunBroker. I'm just waiting for it to get out of jail. That one is gonna be a fun range toy. It will get the Glock Performance Trigger and some nice sights.

Last night I *may* have ordered some Speer 9mm 124gr ammo. Since I haven't been doing any reloading and don't even have my gear set up.
I've had a few successful exercises in smithing Smiths so I'm trying to visualize this .38/.357 experience. Could it be the ejector isn't machined correctly and the rim of the .38 is smaller than the rim of the .357?...not allowing the .357 to sit correctly. That would possibly cause some interference with cylinder rotation.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
07/02 NFA Dealer

http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dreadi,

It's possible. One of the reasons why I want to try another brand of 357. The empty cases come out very easily. I like Magtech because in the past they've been the hottest 'feeling' 357 Magnum loads aside from smaller hot ammo makers. I expect a bit more resistance when popping cases out.

I wonder if the empties shake themselves backwards causing the binding.

Could it be that the cylinders are too large?

I will say that before I opened the side plate the feeling of not being able to pull the hammer back was like hitting a pring right before the end of pull back. This time it was more like it was hitching something and I was able to pull it through that wall a few times.

My gunsmithing experience level is:

Is the gun dirty to the point of malfunction?

Is there something off in the action? Obviously off.

Is something physically broken?

Is an errant piece of lead or brass jamming the action?

Beyond that I am not familiar with how to diagnose non-obvious revolver issues.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 pm

stompah wrote:
Dreadi,

It's possible. One of the reasons why I want to try another brand of 357. The empty cases come out very easily. I like Magtech because in the past they've been the hottest 'feeling' 357 Magnum loads aside from smaller hot ammo makers. I expect a bit more resistance when popping cases out.

I wonder if the empties shake themselves backwards causing the binding.

Could it be that the cylinders are too large?

I will say that before I opened the side plate the feeling of not being able to pull the hammer back was like hitting a pring right before the end of pull back. This time it was more like it was hitching something and I was able to pull it through that wall a few times.

My gunsmithing experience level is:

Is the gun dirty to the point of malfunction?

Is there something off in the action? Obviously off.

Is something physically broken?

Is an errant piece of lead or brass jamming the action?

Beyond that I am not familiar with how to diagnose non-obvious revolver issues.
Those are all valid questions. I still refer to schematics when reassembling Smiths because it doesn't take much to don't something wrong yet, it still looks right. Something as simple as the hand not functioning within tolerance will make a big change.

The image below is from https://americanhandgunner.com/discover ... verything/

I imagine the rim/bottom of the base moving the hand just enough out of tolerance.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
07/02 NFA Dealer

https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I get home I'll snap a few pictures.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:43 pm

Donated to SMF to fund the Gator's lawsuit. Who's next?

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pics of the gun.

And sent $100 to SAF

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sold one of my S&Ws. Sucks but it's the best way to fund my book marketing.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked this up today.....removed the moronic magazine trigger block first thing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 am

Shot some steel today, tonight, and gonna shoot more tomorrow!

Worked pistol at 10-15 yards, rifle 100-200. Going farther tomorrow.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:01 pm

Shot more steel with friends, good times! My scores sucked! I blame the wind!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:56 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I helped to run Ladies Day at Cascade today, and stayed afterwards to do some shooting with a friend. I haven’t been doing much actual shooting myself lately, it was good.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Shot more steel with friends, good times! My scores sucked! I blame the wind!

Was good to finally meet and shoot with you today.
Would enjoy another trip down there, really nice pit for close up work and accuracy from afar.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I helped to run Ladies Day at Cascade today, and stayed afterwards to do some shooting with a friend. I haven’t been doing much actual shooting myself lately, it was good.

I decided that I’m going to load as many of my components as I can while I still have my wit’s about me and shoot more. Seems to be working. :bigsmile:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

There's a 'They probably felt a lot more comfortable without a man around, so good thing you're not a real man' joke buried in there somewhere, but I'm too tired to polish it. Someone finish it for me..

:bigsmile:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883  Next