Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Anyone know what this is worth?

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:02 pm

Hello, I hope I’m posting this to the right area.

I recently purchased a Springfield armory 1898 .30-40 and was wondering if anyone knows how much it is worth. I’ve been doing research online and there are many options/combinations and varieties. Can anyone help?
Sorry for the bad quality photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Anyone know what this is worth?

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:23 pm

Wait . . . if we give you answers that are less than what you paid, are you gonna be mad? :ROFLMAO:

First, I want to say that the Krag is an amazing rifle, and one of my all-time favorites. The action is like butter!

The one you have has been sporterized, which hurts the value significantly. If I were to ballpark a value . . . maybe $300-400? I haven't checked Gunbroker or other sites recently, so don't this as very authoritative, this is just me spitballing.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:45 pm

Thank you. I paid less so I’m perfectly fine :) ! When you mean “sporterize” did the original owner do something custom to the rifle? Did it not come “stock” from the factory like this?

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:30 pm

That was a 100+ year old MILITARY rifle.

It has since been made into a SPORTING rifle.

Google image "30-40Krag" for examples to compare with.

Its a very nice $3-400 deer rifle, but has no collector value.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:32 pm

Yes, the stock and handguard were removed and replaced with an aftermarket stock. It doesn't hurt the functionality, it's still a beautiful rifle. It does, however, hurt the collector value.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:46 pm

The rifle in military/original configuration should look like this pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:46 pm

For some context, this was a pre-WW 1 rifle. It was replaced by the famous1903 Springfield, which was the U.S. main battle rifle of WW1 along with the 1917 Enfield.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:56 am

Thank you!

Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:58 am

Keep in mind that the market for guns and most consumer items is very slow right now.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 am

For something that has been cut down and sporterized unfortunately 300-400 is the most you will get for that. Some people think they are worth more, but the unconverted ones are the rare animals in the collection market. I remember one of my Dad's buddies running with one during many a deer season as a kid. I always marveled at the way you could just throw a few shells in the trap there and they would generally line up in the magazine right.
Post a reply