Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Anybody have a boresighter I can borrow? 

Hey everybody, like the topic says I need to borrow a boresighter. I forgot to put some loctite on the screws for my 91/30's scope mount and it is shooting like 4' off at 100yards. I would only need it for about half a day, just enough to get it roughly sighted in at home. Thanks!

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:17 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

mosindude wrote:
Hey everybody, like the topic says I need to borrow a boresighter. I forgot to put some loctite on the screws for my 91/30's scope mount and it is shooting like 4' off at 100yards. I would only need it for about half a day, just enough to get it roughly sighted in at home. Thanks!

You can drop by with your rifle and I will help you bore sight it. It will mean one trip for you instead of 2. Send me an email: sergey@preciseshooter.com.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm old fashioned. I don't use "bore sighters". I just remove the bolt, look down the bore and line up on an object about 50-100 yards away. Clamp or sandbag the rifle in that position. Then carefully, without disturbing the firearm, look through the scope. See how far off you are and adjust. Check the position of the rifle and the object you had centered on the bore when you started. Repeat process if it's moved.

This will almost ALWAYS get you on paper and for me does a far better job than the commercial "bore sighters".

I use a back porch light of a neighbors house. With my gun vise set up on the kitchen counter, the patio door open about 6", I can see it perfectly and the light fixture image just about fills the bore of my .308 and 30-06 so it's easy to center. So far my neighbor hasn't called the cops regarding a neighborhood "sniper". :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
I'm old fashioned. I don't use "bore sighters". I just remove the bolt, look down the bore and line up on an object about 50-100 yards away. Clamp or sandbag the rifle in that position. Then carefully, without disturbing the firearm, look through the scope. See how far off you are and adjust. Check the position of the rifle and the object you had centered on the bore when you started. Repeat process if it's moved.

This will almost ALWAYS get you on paper and for me does a far better job than the commercial "bore sighters".

I use a back porch light of a neighbors house. With my gun vise set up on the kitchen counter, the patio door open about 6", I can see it perfectly and the light fixture image just about fills the bore of my .308 and 30-06 so it's easy to center. So far my neighbor hasn't called the cops regarding a neighborhood "sniper". :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I'm a cheap barstard like that too! Seems to work fairly well. I like the porch light idea, I might have to cut down some trees . . .

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:42 am

deadshot2 wrote:

I am just imagining the reaction of the neighbors if they ever have seen this :-)...

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

I am just imagining the reaction of the neighbors if they ever have seen this :-)...

That's why I only open the patio door about 6" and leave the vertical blinds pulled so I have just enough room to see thorough.

I've wondered if I were to take a shot like this at another neighbors barking dog at 3:00 AM if he house would soak up enough sound? :whatthe: :whatthe: Probably not so I think I'll just get their phone number and call them every 30 minutes after the dog starts barking. Blocking Caller ID should work to keep them from just retaliating via phone.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All thats funny. My neighbors don't care if I'm on my back porch or front porch with my guns. Even the ones that can see me. You guys that live in the BIG City have it made I guess. ROFLMFAO.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one...pm your #.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a quick story about the ONE time I used a boresighter. Actually, I had the RSO at a local range boresight my rifle as it had a new scope and they did it for free. Thought it would be quick and easy.

Took him about 10 minutes.

Went to the line, set up a target, took my first shot, "no paper". Second shot, "no paper". Had the guy next to me "spot" the next shot. Was almost 6' high at 100 yards. Skimmed the top of the berm.

That was the last time I bothered with a boresighter with the exception of a cheapie laser unit I use to set up my chronograph.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:51 am

I use a laser boresighter all the time (the one that you stick in the barrel, not the one that looks like a cartridge - hate these). The only gripe I had was that the battery gets drained in minutes of use, so I fitted it with a 3V DC power brick. Looks awful but works. Haven't had a single shot of paper in years...

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]