Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 National Motorcycle Awareness Month 

Safety Tips for drivers and motorcyclists:

As the warm weather arrives, the number of motorcyclists on the roadways will increase. Motor vehicle drivers need to be alert and on the lookout for motorcycles.

Drivers:
■ Allow more following distance, three or four seconds, when following a motorcycle, so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
■ Always allow a motorcyclist the full lane width -- never try to share a lane.
■ Never drive distracted or impaired.
■ Always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections.

Motorcyclists:
■ Wear a DOT-compliant helmet and other protective gear.
■ Wear brightly colored clothes and reflective tape to increase visibility.
■ Position yourself in the lane where you will be most visible to other drivers.

Please call me to get a quote on your motorcycle!
As the summer months get closer, the toys will come out of the garage, see what I can do for you on your boats, motorhomes, travel trailers or ATV's!

425-654-4628
loraz@riceinsurance.com
Rice Insurance, LLC
Lora Zanin

Wed May 03, 2017 12:24 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Good place to ask this.
I took the motorcycle safety foundation class in 1995 or 1996, passed and had an endorsement for 10+ years. It's another 10 years later now. Do I have to take it again to get an endorsement?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed May 03, 2017 1:21 pm
Profile WWW

Good question. If you don't have the endorsement on your WA DL now, you will have to recertify and get the endorsement:)

Wed May 03, 2017 1:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, every day I take the car or truck out of the garage is "Motorcycle Awareness DAY". Been that way since I started driving and became especially so when some drunken asshole almost severed my leg by running a red light back in 1969. Every time the weather changes I'm reminded of that day. In a couple weeks I have to go see what they can do about the Osteoporosis in that leg that has made it 1" shorter and apparently shrinking a little each year now.

Oh yeah, lucky me. He carried minimum insurance and other than that he didn't have a pot to piss in. My attorney took 1/3 the insurance payout and I was left with peanuts. Why couldn't it have been a "Microsoft Millionaire" who hit me? :blackcloud1: :blackcloud1:

Anyway, I have a special awareness for Motorcycle riders since then. I've noticed that even with mandatory certification, not all ride very smart and try to make themselves visible to other drivers. They need to do their part too. :facepalm2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed May 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Oh man, I am sorry to hear that. Yes I believe it is on both parties to respect each other on the road:) I never give anyone state minimum insurance, I am not doing them any favors by saving them $5/mo. If they insist, they can go elsewhere, I have to take care of my people.
Lora

Fri May 05, 2017 10:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ms.Z wrote:
Oh man, I am sorry to hear that. Yes I believe it is on both parties to respect each other on the road:) [b] I never give anyone state minimum insurance, I am not doing them any favors by saving them $5/mo. [b]If they insist, they can go elsewhere, I have to take care of my people.
Lora

People need to take into consideration their entire financial position when buying Insurance, not just for car but house as well.

In this day and age Attorneys for the party suing you will go after everything you have and with the exception of retirement funds/pensions, they can take pretty much all. In addition to my auto insurance liability coverage, and homeowners liability coverage, I carry a pretty huge "Umbrella Policy" so if I do end up getting sued after an accident I won't be tossed in the street and have to eat Alpo. Costs me less per month than some people spend on their fancy coffee drinks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat May 06, 2017 10:12 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have always carried a lot of liability insurance.
Doesn't cost that much more and my 2500HD diesel pickup would easily wipe out a car.

Was towing a 28 ft 5th wheel when it started snowing, trailer brakes failed and I shortened a guys Toyota by 4 feet (totaled).
Only damage to my truck was a broken fog light, bent license plate, cracked plastic lower air dam, and a slight dimple in the bumper.
My kid didn't even wake up out of his car seat.

Sat May 06, 2017 12:34 pm

I completely agree with you. I do my best to educate people on what is at risk in an accident. Once I do that, they understand why they need higher limits of liability, which qualifies them for an umbrella. Yes, it is a litigious society and we need to protect our assets from being ripped right out from underneath us. You sound like you have done your homework, impressive:) Let me know if you should ever need my help with anything!
Have a great day!
Lora

Mon May 08, 2017 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Motorcycles need to stop lane splitting......I drive from Rainier to Kent 4 days a week and see it alot :blackcloud1:

Sun May 14, 2017 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

codfather wrote:
Motorcycles need to stop lane splitting......I drive from Rainier to Kent 4 days a week and see it alot :blackcloud1:

They need to make it legal here and then edumacate drivers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mon May 15, 2017 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They can wait in traffic just like the rest of us or use the shoulder which is legal now

Mon May 15, 2017 7:57 pm
Founding Father
Founding Father

codfather wrote:
They can wait in traffic just like the rest of us or use the shoulder which is legal now

Can you reference the law? Last I heard they were attempting to pass a "far left" shoulder type of deal but I can't find any current info on it. That being said...lane splitting for motorcycles is better for everyone. Don't be "one of those guys" with your "they can wait in line like everyone else" comment. Motorcycles can be both air and liquid cooled. An air cooled bike needs to have air flow obviously. If they are stuck in shit traffic the bikes can overheat and now you have a stalled vehicle on the road causing even worse traffic. Even with liquid cooled bikes they can get extremely hot sitting in traffic with little to no air flow passing through the radiator. Also...lane splitting is safer for the riders as they themselves won't overheat and get hyperthermia from sitting in traffic on hot days in boots, pants, jackets, gloves and helmets. Please don't say the answer to that is "shorts and a tee-shirt" because not all riders are willing to risk their safety for a little comfort. Additionally, lane splitting is safer for riders when they can move between cars at a traffic light. It protects them from being rear ended by someone texting and driving or taking selfies. If an inattentive driver rear ends another car, it still sucks but it's going to cause less damage and the accident victims stand a much higher likelihood to survive. If A motorcycle is stopped behind a car at a light and is rear ended by another car...the motorcycle and rider are going to suffer more severe damage and injury not to mention a significantly higher chance for death. Lastly...Lane splitting helps to alleviate traffic on the roads. Imagine every motorcycle you see as a car...if there are 10 motorcycles sitting in traffic...that's 10 more cars. If those motorcycles are able to move through traffic and keep going, that translates to 10 less vehicles on the road, stuck in traffic.

I'm both a car driver and a motorcycle rider. I'm not one of those riders that's willing to sacrifice my safety for comfort. I won't wear shorts and a t-shirt to ride. Lane splitting isn't about getting ahead of all the other commuters...it's about my safety and my LIFE on the roads while dealing with countless inattentive drivers who are eating, texting, talking on their phones, doing their makeup, not looking in their mirrors, not signaling, etc. So as both a car driver and motorcycle rider I support lane splitting. I know what it's like to be riding a motorcycle surrounded by cars. A fender bender with a motorcycle can be a life ender.

Sat May 27, 2017 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^This. After riding for nearly fifty years now, I couldn't agree more. Ride to survive.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Sat May 27, 2017 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm talking about lane splitting in moving traffic on the freeway.

Sat May 27, 2017 1:19 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I've been riding for about 40 years.
+1 about the overheating.
Memorial Day Friday a few years ago I was on my bike stuck past N Bend North Bend traffic on the way to Cle Elum.
Stopped dead on a sunny day, air cooled Harley was pinging pretty bad, oil temp gauge was higher than I remember seeing it.

I have mixed feelings on lane splitting.
Do in in CA but in WA, worried someone is gonna open a door on me.
I think shoulder driving is better than actually splitting lanes with cars on both sides.

Sat May 27, 2017 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next