Switch to full style
Post here if you are in need of a specific service, or have a job opening to advertise.
Post a reply

Re: Relocating A Safe

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Fortunately there's no drywall in danger and I can fix it if there was that got damaged. I used to do drywall.

We've been basing the logistics on a few factors including cost. One friend suggested I offer to sell it to the landlords and leave it behind, buy a new safe. Unfortunately that's still another $1200 + delivery again. Movers are picking up only the large items in the middle of a week, so that effectively limits the cost of a moving company. Honestly, their cost will be less than the quoted safe move unless they drag their feet. Doubling the cost of moving personal items by paying a company to move one item is inconceivable.

And $400+ dollars without same day service is not OK with me. I'd rather break off people I know and enjoy their sweaty coffee scented BO than. Even cook them up some elk after we get unpacked.

But if I really had to do it, I'd just pay the man. I did it once.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:04 am

600 lbs is more manageable that you think, Criminals do it all the time, its all about determination

you will need a sturdy dolly (not many hand trucks built for that weight) some strips of teflon or delrin glued to oak wood (or other slippery material).

Once upon a time my friend and I lifted a 600 lb Ford 352 FE motor from a wheelbarrow into the back of my truck, just the two of us. When we were finished we looked like we had made love to it...violent love..we were covered in oil, grease and scratches, scrapes..... of course we were young and dumb, 16 I think

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 am

What's the date of this proposed relocation?

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Thefuryoffire, RocketScott, and two other friends that I work with helped me move the safe. Everything went quite smooth.

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:23 pm

dreadi wrote:Thefuryoffire, RocketScott, and two other friends that I work with helped me move the safe. Everything went quite smooth.

:wagwoot:

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:39 pm

MadPick wrote:
dreadi wrote:Thefuryoffire, RocketScott, and two other friends that I work with helped me move the safe. Everything went quite smooth.

:wagwoot:

Excellent! Our home is on the market with two safes in the basement. Hoping to sell to someone who wants one or both but Plan B is to rent a serious dolly and round up my burly buddies. Pizza and beer is no problem :thumbsup2:

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Sunbelt Rentals has stair climbers if you need one

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm actually wanting to go buy a safe.... but! No truck right now and delievery fee seems outrageous. Or Costco has 4-5 week delievery time

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Congrats ! Nicely, Done, Guys..... :thumbsup2:

Though, I would have gladly supervised by standing around and telling you what you were doing wrong :bigsmile:

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Hat's off to those guys!! Glad it worked out. (I maybe imagined the IBM room door scene in Hidden Figures :bigsmile: )

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:14 pm

chevytruckman wrote:I'm actually wanting to go buy a safe.... but! No truck right now and delievery fee seems outrageous. Or Costco has 4-5 week delievery time
Home Depot has rental trucks with 3000lbs capacity lift gates for about $20/hr

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:16 pm

NWGunner wrote:

Congrats ! Nicely, Done, Guys..... :thumbsup2:

Though, I would have gladly supervised by standing around and telling you what you were doing wrong :bigsmile:
I'll let you know when it's time to dig the trench for electrical to the man cave. We'll need a Working Steward.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:59 am

That did go pretty smooth.

I think you overpaid us though. I'm still full from that burrito.

Let me know when you want me to come back over and install the rest of the lock sets. We can figure out the power to the man cave too.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:28 pm

I wish we'd figured out the power lifter a little sooner. I think we'd been underutilizing it for a long time there.

I'd be happy to come out and help dig for that man cave.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 pm

My burrito is still hanging around.....
I don't know what they did to mine but, not getting camarones again.
Post a reply