Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Firewood needed 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently moved into a new place with a wood burning stove. Looking for 1-2 cords of dry wood, delivered to Marysville.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go buy a moisture meter. Before whoever you buy from takes your money or takes a log off the trailer, make sure it's below 18% or you will hate life.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Go buy a moisture meter. Before whoever you buy from takes your money or takes a log off the trailer, make sure it's below 18% or you will hate life.

:plusone:

First year in my house (moved in late fall) I bought a cord from "some guy". Sizzle is awesome on the grill but not so much in your stove. Was incredibly hard to light.

Now everything is either cut dead standing by me, or I let it cure for a year or two.

Wish I had a lead up that way but I don't.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

First year in my house (moved in late fall) I bought a cord from "some guy". Sizzle is awesome on the grill but not so much in your stove. Was incredibly hard to light.

Now everything is either cut dead standing by me, or I let it cure for a year or two.

We got dupped also. Didn't know any better. Seasoned means different things to different people. To the guy that got my 400 bucks for 2 cords, it meant 3 years laying in the woods on the ground. Split and stacked a week ago. Burning wood is an art. Also learned if it has been cut and split in the elements for more than a few years, its probably rotten. Better at making ash than heat. There is a reason it is usually free.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

We got dupped also. Didn't know any better. Seasoned means different things to different people. To the guy that got my 400 bucks for 2 cords, it meant 3 years laying in the woods on the ground. Split and stacked a week ago. Burning wood is an art. Also learned if it has been cut and split in the elements for more than a few years, its probably rotten. Better at making ash than heat. There is a reason it is usually free.

No you can't leave any wood out. Must be in a shed where it gets sun to dry out, but covered from the rain. Under a tarp isn't great since the moisture can't escape. There's really no other efficient way to do it. I suppose you could kiln dry your wood, but heck now you're burning up tons of electricity.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:35 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I personally know a guy that does it as a side business and will vouch for him. If your still looking that is.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not exactly what OP is looking for but I have probably 14-15 cords of mostly Fir and some Cedar that I chopped down this fall and winter. NOT Cured by any means. I am splitting (no pun intended) wood with anyone who helps me split it. I burn 3-5 cord a year and if I dont get it all split, I am concerned about rotting.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the advice and leads. I got a thorough crash course in wood species, and a very dry and generous cord of wood today. Thanks Jager

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gumebare wrote:
Thanks for all the advice and leads. I got a thorough crash course in wood species, and a very dry and generous cord of wood today. Thanks Jager

No problem! Glad to help. Trevor just texted me a bit ago and said he got ya taken care of and delivered today. Hope its what you needed. :thumbsup2:

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]