Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Wanted wood burning stove installer professional 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking to hire someone familiar with, and preferably a professional, wood stove installer.

I'm shopping for a used one. New ones might be a bit more efficient but they are 10 times the cost. I'm in Pierce County, outside the red zone. I think I'm good with an older one AFAIK.

My insurance company is fine with it. I'd like to hire someone to help me select one that's not a dud or garbage, move it, get the right pipes, and install it ASAP.

Thanks.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the market at the beginning of the summer to upgrade my old one to a new insert, mulled over used ones, but ended up buying a new Quadrafire from Coastal Farm and Ranch in Auburn. Sure the cost is higher, but the efficiency, rebate, and financing plan they offer was unbeatable. I planned on paying cash in full, but they offer 12 months same as cash with 0% interest which worked for me.

It's like night and day comparing the old one to my new one. I have burned far less wood, and it puts out much more heat. Just my .02.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
I was in the market at the beginning of the summer to upgrade my old one to a new insert, mulled over used ones, but ended up buying a new Quadrafire from Coastal Farm and Ranch in Auburn. Sure the cost is higher, but the efficiency, rebate, and financing plan they offer was unbeatable. I planned on paying cash in full, but they offer 12 months same as cash with 0% interest which worked for me.

It's like night and day comparing the old one to my new one. I have burned far less wood, and it puts out much more heat. Just my .02.

Thanks. It's tempting to get a new one... I should have done this over the summer.

Used may be mildly less efficient, but is 5+ times cheaper. It would take 15 years worth of burning to justify the added $1500 cost of a new one.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used the insert I had in my house for damn near 10 years and I thought it was a solid one. Only after I burned my first few fires in my new one is when I realized how shitty it really was.

The amount of money you would save now with buying a used one, would be washed away long term with the amount of wood you ill buy due to its insufficiencies.

I dealt with a guy named Chip at Coastal, he's a good dude and wont sell you any BS. On a side note, the fireplace section is right next to the gun counter. :bigsmile:

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what i was told, it is illegal to install a used stove unless it meets all current fireplace standards. Which will make it near impossible to get a certified shop to install one. I bought mine new out of portland to save on taxes and it was 500 bucks cheaper than local not counting taxes. Nobody would even install that for me. Most claimed insurance reasons. I ended up doing it myself. Instructions were very clear and it turned out great.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
From what i was told, it is illegal to install a used stove unless it meets all current fireplace standards. Which will make it near impossible to get a certified shop to install one. I bought mine new out of portland to save on taxes and it was 500 bucks cheaper than local not counting taxes. Nobody would even install that for me. Most claimed insurance reasons. I ended up doing it myself. Instructions were very clear and it turned out great.

:plusone:

I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone willing to take that risk.

I personally have to agree with LOG. There can be some VERY nice rebates out there for a certified wood stove. Check the manufacturers, PSE, etc and you may just find a way to close that $1500 gap quite a bit. Here is an example: http://www.harmanstoves.com/ $400 off. $500 off with Napoleon stoves: http://napoleonfireplaces.com/rebateevent/. Travis Industries is out of Mukilteo and makes Avalon, Lopi, and some other brands, so you may be able to help support local jobs too depending on what you go with.

If you do go with a new stove, I suggest getting the dumbest one you can find. Not sure if any bells and whistles come on them the way the pellet and gas stoves do, but the few things that can break on a fire place the better.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]