Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hottub repair? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 5 year old Sundance spa. After sitting all summer I opened it up to find it had no power. I swapped the fuse and it comes on again, but after a few minutes of normal operation (pumps run) showing the correct water temp, the readout flashes "OH" and then it shuts down and shows "---" (watchdog mode).

I'm pretty sure that means the temp sensor is bad? Would it still show the right water temp before it goes into watchdog mode, if the temp sensor is bad though?

If it's not the temp sensor i probably need professional help, and I don't want to change the sensor if I'm going to call a professional.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:47 pm

I think I would be looking around for tech manual for your spa, a Google search might work. The tech manual should have some trouble shooting info that would help. Maybe even talking to the guys where you bought it might help. They should have some procedures for checking it out. It usually doesn't cost anymore to ask.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:11 pm

If you have access to the temp sensor, could you introduce hot or cold to it, like spraying it with freon or hitting it with heat (hair dryer)?

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"OH" with motor shut down normally means the motor is Over Heating, and a thermal cut out is tripping. Sometimes a faulty impeller on the pump causes this, in that if the impeller is worn, the motor will over rev. An obstruction in the pump, like a bunch of crud wound around the impeller shaft can also strain the pump motor and overheat it. Likewise with a clogged or restricted pipe

Lots of other electronic issues could cause the OH condition. There are centrifugal weights on the end of the pump motor shaft which can either kick in or switch off the motor start capacitor. If the weights aren't flipping out, or the capacitor is bad, the motor will cut out pretty quick too.

There is also a flow switch that detects if water is flowing through the pipe. It is designed to shut of the electric heat and sometimes the pump motor to keep them from burning up due to lack of water. If that switch is not properly adjusted or defective that could cause your problem.

Hard to tell sitting here watching TV, but I'm guessing a new pump motor or control circuit is required.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Last edited by Traut on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thespaguys....william good guy, reasonably priced...he is in and around snohomish

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks, sounds like i need a pro.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]