Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Uber drivers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:
Well this morning was supposed to begin with me waking up early and heading into Seattle but I was up late with the wife so I woke up at my regular 6:30AM.

Decided to turn the app on during my regular drive to work to see if anything popped up.

By the time I hit exit 18 on 405, I got pinged.

1. Kirkland to Downtown Bellevue.
2. Immediately after dropping off in Downtown Bellevue I get a pick up 2 blocks away to Factoria.
3. Factoria person dropped off, I just park my car and I get a ping 3 min away to deep Redmond.
4. Drop off in deep Redmond to get an immediate ping to go from deep Redmond to Microsoft.

By this time it was 8:30 and I was close to my work office so I turned off the app. Made $34.21 in approximately 1.5 hours of work or $22.80 per hour. Not bad. We'll see how the evening treats me.

Are you able to see start/stop point of the customers before accepting? Are you able to accept trips that are only on your way to where you're going anyway?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It shows the pick up location and how far away they are but it does not show destination. Could be close could be far, you never know. You could of course cancel if you REALLY aren't happy with where the customer wants to go.

There is a destination filter setting. You're allowed to use it 2x per day. Say you're done ubering for the day and are headed back home to the East Side from Seattle. You can turn on the filter with your destination address and Uber will only give you a pick up if the persons destination matches appx. Where you're headed.

I haven't had great luck with it yet personally but I live in Lynnwood.

Sent from Crimea, Russia

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:
It shows the pick up location and how far away they are but it does not show destination. Could be close could be far, you never know. You could of course cancel if you REALLY aren't happy with where the customer wants to go.

There is a destination filter setting. You're allowed to use it 2x per day. Say you're done ubering for the day and are headed back home to the East Side from Seattle. You can turn on the filter with your destination address and Uber will only give you a pick up if the persons destination matches appx. Where you're headed.

Sent from Crimea, Russia

IMO, showing destination, or at least direction, would be very helpful. The filter might work if I just want to pick up one or two rides.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
RusoArmo wrote:

Sent from Crimea, Russia

IMO, showing destination, or at least direction, would be very helpful. The filter might work if I just want to pick up one or two rides.

Uber is designed with the customer in mind, not the driver. We're not Uber employees, we're "independent contractors".

If I see the destination of a rider is out to Kent or somewhere else far, I would easily reject it. I don't know if I will be so lucky to find another rider in Kent back to Seattle or the East Side so all those miles and time spent driving back would be "dead". This of course is good for me, however the rider is left standing on the street waiting to find the one driver desperate enough (or on their way home) to drive them to Kent.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:
joao01 wrote:
RusoArmo wrote:

Sent from Crimea, Russia

Uber is designed with the customer in mind, not the driver. We're not Uber employees, we're "independent contractors".

If I see the destination of a rider is out to Kent or somewhere else far, I would easily reject it. I don't know if I will be so lucky to find another rider in Kent back to Seattle or the East Side so all those miles and time spent driving back would be "dead". This of course is good for me, however the rider is left standing on the street waiting to find the one driver desperate enough (or on their way home) to drive them to Kent.

Fair point.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well yesterday was quite the busy day. I was online from 4:30PM to 9:00PM with practically requests coming in non-stop. Not all were ideal, but because we must maintain a 90% acceptance rate, I didn't have a choice but to take them.

Some highlights of yesterday:
17 trips completed
Total time spent online including morning and evening was 6 hours.
Payout from application was $140
I got my first cash tips from 2 gentlemen, $5 each so total for the day earned was $150.

$150/6 hours online = $25 per hour, not too shabby.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for updating. This is really fascinating to me. It's one thing to hear news reports but quite another to hear how everything works out on the floor.

I still think your not making enough. Being self employed you should just figure that a third of what you make is going away. Add to that the use of your car.

All that being said I think it's great that you are giving it a go. You might be able to figure out the system to where you can optimize time and place to make more money.

Keep in mind that uber is manipulating drivers to gain market share:

https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/why-uber-is-losing-money-faster-than-any-tech-company-e-1785736918/amp?client=safari

Hard to tell what will happen if competition goes away or driverless cars take off, literally. I was promised flying cars.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking about trying this out, myself.

Just bought a slick new black Ford Exploder.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't be able to do it for $25 an hour.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Breck wrote:
I'm thinking about trying this out, myself.

Just bought a slick new black Ford Exploder.

Do Uber Black.

You can register for both Black and Black XL and get double exposure.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just read that Uber lost $1.7 Billion in the FIRST HALF of 2016. If they match that in the second half, how much longer will Uber be around?

Hard to see how a company that's loosing that kind of cheddar can survive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not recommending this as someone's career / true full time job.

I already have a pretty decent job where my salary is greater than the average household income in Seattle. My wife is just below that. I'm doing this just as a way to pay down my small student loan even faster and buy more gun stuff.

Yes I am certain that if I timed things better, worked Friday and Saturday nights I would make more money, but I have a very simple goal that so far I'm going to be able to hit. I want to make $125 per day, 3x a week. Or roughly $1,500 per month.

I'm paying for my car either way as means to get to my real job so driving it for Uber part time really isn't depreciating it more than it was.

$25/HR is not making it rich money, but that's more than I would be making sitting on the couch watching TV or jerking off to Hillary.

Explorer should definitely go for Black if it's illegible. Uber has weird list of cars that qualify or not. If you have 7 seat belts you can totally do XL.

Sent from Crimea, Russia

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do it now and collect while you can - driverless Uber cars are already being tested in Pittsburgh. It's only a matter of time before drivers will be phased out.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That will be entirely based on user acceptance.

Driving around slow streets, sure. Taking a driverless car onto the freeway, I'd like to see a couple years of less incidents than with human drivers before jumping on

Sent from Crimea, Russia

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
Do it now and collect while you can - driverless Uber cars are already being tested in Pittsburgh. It's only a matter of time before drivers will be phased out.

And our cities will have a bunch of these running around

I wonder if they'll call them "Johny Cabs" or will they be renamed with some cutsie name to fit in with Uber, Lyft, etc.

Maybe they'll even have drivers like this to make riders more comfortable:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next