Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:39 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Calling IT guys 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey all. I know there`s a rather large techie community here on WGO, which is advantageous to a luddite like me (huh huh huh).

My old desktop (ancient HP) is in a necromancer`s grip (former IT worker, did house calls), and he thinks it may be savable with a certain program called "Dot Net Nuke" or ".NetNuke". He says he used to have it on a f;ash drive but can`t find it for the life of his fat cat. If anyone knows of a place where it could be found, or even has a copy available, rest assured I`ll find a way to make it up to you.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something isn't jiving for me here. The only Dot net nuke I know of is a content management system for websites, kind of like wordpress. How would that save your old desktop? You sure your IT guy is on the up and up?

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no reason to doubt him, he told me it`s some sort of boot assist. The problem was that after uninstalling its own OS while I was away from home, I put a new HD in it and it worked for a few months before it just started refusing to boot. I turned it off at night, went to bed, wake up, try to turn it on and it never got past that powered black screen. Know what I mean? Not "off" black but when it`s powered. Never got past that. He tells me it needs some kind of boot assist and being anything but a tech guy I have no choice but to believe him based on what little I know about it.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Random shot in the dark here . . . did it maybe upgrade to Windows 10?

After my laptop upgraded to Windows 10, it ALWAYS boots to a black screen. My only way around it is to close the lid and put it to sleep, then open the lid. It wakes up and works normally.

I'm not sure if you can put a desktop to sleep without it actually being booted up . . . maybe a quick push of the power button?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It currently has (had) Windows 7 Ultimate. Never "upgraded" because I`m in love with that OS.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm just wondering if it upgraded itself during the night . . . that last night that it was working.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nah, this was long before that started happening. At least 8 months.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rayjax82 is right. It's a web CMS. I can't see any way it would help in this case.

If it won't even show the BIOS info it has nothing to do with Win7. You have a bad motherboard.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That`s what I`ve been told, BIOS or Motherboard.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fjordforder wrote:
That`s what I`ve been told, BIOS or Motherboard.

I forgot about that. Most mobos have a way to reflash back to factory settings via pins and jumpers, at least they should with one that's several years old. I'd at least try that first. In normal use, motherboards and CPUs are usually the last things to fail since they have no moving parts, so give it a shot.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
rayjax82 is right. It's a web CMS. I can't see any way it would help in this case.

If it won't even show the BIOS info it has nothing to do with Win7. You have a bad motherboard.

Or bad video card. Does it beep?

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No beeping, doesn`t boot far enough to do anything but power the monitor as far as I can tell.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fjordforder wrote:
No beeping, doesn`t boot far enough to do anything but power the monitor as far as I can tell.

You might not have a speaker installed either, so it could be beeping for all it's worth and you'd never hear it. I have a fairly high end Dell workstation here at work, no speaker to be found in it.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the time it was plugged into a set of JBL "Platinum series", never had a problem with sound on it.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fjordforder wrote:
At the time it was plugged into a set of JBL "Platinum series", never had a problem with sound on it.

Motherboard beep codes come through an onboard speaker and not out audio ports.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next