Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:42 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Plumbers: Hourly rate to replace spigot? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For outdoor spigots, what is the going labor rate for plumber’s time in Pierce County?

Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In for the watch, as I need some plumbing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt you'll find a plumber that'll do it by the hour. Small job like that will be bid for the job, or they'll hit you with a 2 or 3 hour minimum.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You trying to replace an existing spigot, or install a new line to a new spigot?

Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Replace an existing spigot. I’m not trying to pay by the hour. But I am also questioning a bid that, if it is a one hour task, appears to be $700 an hour plus the part.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

User 1234 wrote:
Replace an existing spigot. I’m not trying to pay by the hour. But I am also questioning a bid that, if it is a one hour task, appears to be $700 an hour plus the part.
Ouch. Is it gold plated by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you can do it yourself, easy for most part

first how old is your house? they don't make the 9" anymore. I went longer.

turn water off run a few facets to drain extra.

unscrew screws from outside. then twist spigot left pull it out and see what your sizing is...pending house age

once you find out you may have to cut a hole in your wall

my garage one went easier

I got tools you can barrow if you plan to do it

Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

User 1234 wrote:

its gonna be about a $30 part pending on what you want and go frost free

Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I appreciate the helpful replies. The house is a 1998.

Here are photos of the two I’d like to replace:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cmica sums it up nicely. It is good to have access to the threaded connection itself, either from your crawl space or through an interior wall. Allows you to put a wrench on a stuck or corroded fitting so you don’t twist your piping while trying to unscrew the spigot. And also to verify a leak-free joint after you install the new spigot.

Post up a pic of your spigot, so we can get some idea how old it is. Also, do you have access to the threaded joint?

Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Cmica sums it up nicely. It is good to have access to the threaded connection itself, either from your crawl space or through an interior wall. Allows you to put a wrench on a stuck or corroded fitting so you don’t twist your piping while trying to unscrew the spigot. And also to verify a leak-free joint after you install the new spigot.

Post up a pic of your spigot, so we can get some idea how old it is. Also, do you have access to the threaded joint?

:thumbsup2:

well my house is older, I took a chance from outside first then notice a wet spot inside, thats when I knew the inner wall joint came loose and had no way to tighten it the other way. Garage I just took the sheetrock access off.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also a good time to move that lower one to a more friendly height.

I would gain access to the area behind before ever putting a twist on anything. It could twist off whos knows where at further up the line or even break a tee off feeding something further up the line.

Murphy's law has taken ANY optimism out of my life.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Also a good time to move that lower one to a more friendly height.

I would gain access to the area behind before ever putting a twist on anything. It could twist off whos knows where at further up the line or even break a tee off feeding something further up the line.

Murphy's law has taken ANY optimism out of my life.

Agreed.

Prep not needed is cheaper, and easier, than a “I wish I had…”

Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remodeled a clients home beauty salon: a leak in her plumbing had destroyed the sheetrock and flooring, so... new sink new faucet (shampoo station) new sheetrock, new subfloor and flooring.
Come back the day after the final flooring went in to tie up loose ends and collect... and the new flooring and drywall are RUINED.

The client's husband had decided to replace his frostfree hose-bib (in the same wall and pipe as the shampoo faucet plumbing) and had installed it without teflon or pipe dope.

Went in dry.

I told him "You wouldn't do that to your wife? Why would you do that to your plumbing? And WHY didn't you have me do it while I had the wall open?"

Get a wrench on both sides of the fitting and for all that is holy, use pipe dope unless it's a sweat fitting.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have to ask about plumbing prices, you cannot afford it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

About 10 years ago I had a local plumber come out to replace both of my hose bibs on a 1990 built FHA house. He cut a hole in the drywall at each area stating that the screws holding the female part would break and damage the copper feeding lines in older houses. I had to hold a pipe wrench for him, I told him my help was not free, he chuckled and said duly noted & only charged me half $135.
Case in point, if you snap off the screws thinking you broke the connection you are going to twist up the copper line and really screw things up, as he did on the first one in the front of the house.
If you cannot do it yourself then I would suggest you employ a license and bonded plumber to take care of your problem not your uncle Joe’s nephew apprentice who is just doing a side job.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next