Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Gun Stock Maker in Burbank, WA (Stock repair, restoration 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bill from http://www.gunstockmaker.com/about.html was very responsive in my communications about repairing a 104 year old walnut stock off a Savage 1899H .250-3000 that had a chip out of the toe.

Since I do not have the wood working tools that someone like Bill would have on hand, I chose to pay someone to make the repair on this piece of history from the past. I asked to finish the stock at home with my choice of stains and oils although that is an area he can assist you with.

Some research online across various states, Bill's price quotes for repair was reasonable. Not the highest bid, not the lowest. Right in the middle where you want to be when getting bids.

I shipped the sacrifical stock and the original to bill and he had the work done in 5 weeks time. He hadn't seen a "Perch Belly" Savage 99 stock before (Savage only made this type of stock for approx 18 years) so he started asking me questions. "Hey, I researched this stock and it's a perch belly (me: yep it is) "Do you want to retain the perch belly look or straighten it out?" {Me, keep it original)}

I was extremely pleased with his work. Shoot him an email and some photos if you have something made of wood that is in need of either repair or refinishing.

The rifle is in beautiful condition and it's tough to tell it's been refinished.
The stock was chipped on the bottom and it had a crappy butt plate that was not original to the rifle or the year 1913.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is very well done. How much did he charge? I have two that need the same work. I will attempt it myself as the rifles are not as valuable or nice.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very sweet!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
That is very well done. How much did he charge? I have two that need the same work. I will attempt it myself as the rifles are not as valuable or nice.

Every job is going to fetch a specific quote based on wood, finished or not finished, etc.
That said, under $200 and that included stripping the finish, repairing the wood (I supplied) and the aftermarket buttplate I sent to have filed and fitted to the stock after his magic was done.

I did the finish upon return home.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that Luthiers Vise. I’ve nearly an identical one that was made in West Germany.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]