Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Odin Works 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a 2-part review. First, the product - the Odin Works low-profile adjustable gas block (https://www.odinworks.com/Adjustable_Gas_Block_p/gb-adj.htm). Then, the customer service.

The Product:
I bought one of these adjustable gas blocks on Gunbroker for $80 (Odin Works sells them for $89). It comes with a roll pin for the gas tube. I installed it on a Black Hole Weaponry 10.5" .223 Wylde 1:8 barrel along with an Aero Precision melonite pistol-length gas tube.

The gas block appeared to be very well made, as is everything I've purchased from Odin Works. Nice finish, clean machining, and no slop whatsoever in the screws. It fit the barrel like a glove and was easy to install. The barrel was already dimpled for the set screw, which was nice.

Once it was installed, I took it to the range and performed the adjustment routine you'd expect: restrict the gas almost entirely, fire a single round from a magazine, open the gas a little, then repeat until the bolt locked back on an empty mag. I opened it another 1/4" turn and locked in that setting. Once it was set, I fired a couple hundred rounds without a hiccup. I took it out a couple more times and shot a few hundred more rounds through it. All the cases ejected between 3 and 4 o'clock, and I didn't have any cycling or bolt hold-open issues. I was shooting mostly Federal 5.56 ammo (either XM193 or XM855).

Fast forward to this past Monday. I was in Yakima doing some target shooting, and in the middle of the second mag, I noticed it stopped ejecting the spent cases. First, I checked the bolt - nothing wrong there. Then, I noticed my gas block had moved all the way to the crush washers behind my brake. The adjustment screws were gone, and the block was split down the middle:

So, I began to have my doubts about the quality of this product.

The Customer Service:
I called Odin Works to ask if they would send me a replacement under warranty. The Returns page on their website says this:

Quote:
Lifetime Warranty and 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!!!

At ODIN Works, your satisfaction is our commitment; we stand behind everything we sell. We are 100% committed to you. If anything ever goes wrong, which means if you break, destroy or your product fails, we promise to take care of you. We feel that owning an ODIN Works product should allow you to achieve your maximum ability and we strive to support your efforts in achieving this goal.

A friendly woman named Gwen answered the phone. She listened to me describe the problem, apologized for the inconvenience, and then proceeded to say that while their adjustable gas block is not warrantied for use on pistol-length gas systems (their product page does contain this disclaimer under Technical Specs, which I didn't see), I should submit a Return Authorization online anyway, and someone would get in touch with me within a day or two.

A few hours after I sent the request, a nice guy named Cody emailed me back. He told me that while the gas block I bought was not designed to be used the way I used it, he did say he would send me a replacement, but would not be able to warranty the second one should it fail. He also gave me the option of receiving a different gas block instead - their tunable gas block (https://www.odinworks.com/Tunable_Gas_B ... une-ss.htm), which he said was better-suited for my pistol-length gas system. Because of the difference in value ($89 vs $54), he said I could apply that credit towards another item. I opted for a new gas tube ($12) and 2 new PMAGs ($11 x 2). He sent me a prepaid UPS shipping label to send back the broken gas block, and he said they would ship my replacement products as soon as they receive it.

Odin Works does stand behind their products, and they have professional, personable people handling their customer service. I highly recommend them. I've been a repeat customer of theirs for a couple years now, and I will continue to go back.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
restrict the gas almost entirely, fire a single round from a magazine, open the gas a little, then repeat until the bolt locked back on an empty mag.

Not ever having used an adjustable gas block, this seems rather harsh to me. Especially on a pistol.
Is that the SOP for adjustables?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Quote:
restrict the gas almost entirely, fire a single round from a magazine, open the gas a little, then repeat until the bolt locked back on an empty mag.

Not ever having used an adjustable gas block, this seems rather harsh to me. Especially on a pistol.

Judging by what I've read online and seen on YouTube, that seems to be SOP. But perhaps "restrict the gas almost entirely" isn't the most accurate way to describe what I did. I turned off the gas completely, then opened it one full turn.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:55 am

AR15L wrote:
this seems rather harsh to me. Especially on a pistol.

That's pretty much how you tune one.

I have to say, not being able to handle pistol pressures isn't the most comforting thing. That means the margin of error is between pistol and carbine pressures and I don't think the difference would be enough for my peace of mind.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:18 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

sreyemj wrote:
I have to say, not being able to handle pistol pressures isn't the most comforting thing.

Agreed. It's a little scary.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
sreyemj wrote:
I have to say, not being able to handle pistol pressures isn't the most comforting thing.

Agreed. It's a little scary.

It is unnerving. The thing that gets me is how thin the steel is on the block between the barrel and the adjustment screws. No wonder it blew apart at that exact spot - it's the obvious weak point. What makes me nervous about the replacement I'll be receiving (the Tunable gas block) is that it looks just as thin in the same place. I'm not really sure what makes it better-suited for pistol-length gas systems than the Adjustable gas block, but I'm trusting the guy at Odin Works not to lead me astray. I'll let you know how that goes...

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a thought but you said you got it off GunStroker, right?
Could it of been a chinese knock off?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:

Never heard of GunStroker...is that the Chinese knock-off of Gunbroker?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
AR15L wrote:

Never heard of GunStroker...is that the Chinese knock-off of Gunbroker?

That's the nickname I gave them.
:ROFLMAO:

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my odin works great, tuned it on a 308 pistl. easy peasey.

I lost set screws and they sent me replacements right away. and told me what the sizes were so I could hit home depot for a quick fix.

now the lower priced one is a different story.

Rainier arms didn't know jack about what they were selling and conned me into a superlative.

if its this tunable, remember you have to remove the front screw than tune it and re insert the front screw to lock it in

I didn't know they used dual screws . and it was so new their website didn't have good instruction. and rainier knew jack shit

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^That's the one they are sending me as a replacement. The product page on their website has a YouTube video showing how to tune it using the 2 screws. I'm not sure why the Tunable gas block is rated for pistol length gas systems while the Adjustable gas block is not, but that's what they're telling me. Maybe it's different/stronger material, and/or designed to handle higher pressures. I'll try to get an answer next time I talk to them, which should be soon.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops, did you find the superlative arms adjustable block lacking compared to the Odin? I do like Odin stuff, but what has kept me away from their adjustable gas blocks (as well as other brands) is the use of a “secondary” set screw for adjustment, I have a superlative arms adjustable block & enjoy it so far, SLR is great as well, set the indexed adjustment screw and that’s it. Just looking for others opinions on adjustable blocks-

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:51 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Glad to hear they have good customer service. I just put an Atlas 7 muzzle brake on my 6.5 creedmoor and haven't shot through it yet. Fingers crossed.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my 308 pistol has the odin which only has front adjustment. - https://www.rainierarms.com/odin-adjust ... w-profile/

no issues and I have put over 300rds through it.

the superlative seems to be fine. haven't had any issues that ive noticed

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:
On my 308 pistol has the odin which only has front adjustment. - https://www.rainierarms.com/odin-adjustable-gas-block-low-profile/

no issues and I have put over 300rds through it.

That's the one that split in half on me, and it was on a 5.56 pistol. I didn't have any issues for the first several hundred rounds, either. Keep an eye on it.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next