Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 TACPACK – A GEAR SUBSCRIPTION, FOR US. 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From blog.WaGuns.org
Quote:
For a while now, my wife has been receiving a monthly subscription of beauty products from a place called GlossyBox. It’s a pretty nifty idea where you receive a handful of luxury beauty items. The hope is that the customer will like some or all of the product and will then buy more from the manufacturer. As I mentioned, it’s a nice idea and she’s usually excited when it arrives in the mail.

So, imagine my curiosity when my Facebook feed showed me a tactical version called the TacPak. Per their website: “A TacPack is a gift box full of tactical gear that gets delivered to your door step every month. Each month you will receive a package through the mail with 3-7 pieces of new tactical & EDC gear inside…..”. I decided to throw caution to the wind and sign up, mainly to see if I could feel that same euphoria that my wife receives when her GlossyBox arrives.

Read the entire article, here: http://blog.waguns.org/?p=164

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep us updated.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've looked into these. They seem to send some pretty cool gear but for someone who has been in the gun culture for over 5 years it seems like it's all stuff you already have or have better versions of.

If I was just getting into the gun culture than this would be great. Or signing up a family member who is just getting into it.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Box 2 arrived on Saturday. Here is what's inside.

First thing was this weird multi-tool from North Shore Kustoms, called the equalizer. Part Brass Aluminum knuckle, part bottle opener, part... not sure? It's valued at $55 bucks, so maybe it does something useful too?

Next up is a Muzzle Break from Bull Moose Tactical. It's a brake, just like any other brake I would assume. It's got some cool porting and stuff, all of my 5.56 stuff prefers to play suppressed, this one will probably end up in a parts box, or a future PIF. It's valued at $60 though.

Next in the box is actually something pretty cool. At first I was like, oh goodie, a bundle of paracord to add to my growing pile of paracord.. But then, I started reading. This is not just any cordage, this cordage is also a fire starter. Provided from Live Fire, this is called the Fire Cord. Un weave the cordage and woven into it is a tinder strand that you can use to get s fire going! Valued at $13.00, this will go in my BOB.

Also included, and in the Paracord department was this nifty tool from 5col called the Spool Tool. This little jig is pretty slick. Will hold a good amount of paracord, has a built-in cutter and BIC lighter holder and different gauged holes for threading and burning. I'll probably also use this in my BOB with some cordage that's in there looking like a rats nest. Valued at $23.00 and currently SOLD OUT.

Last but not least, TacPack finally got a patch. While this isn't one that you would probably run on your gun or proudly display on your condor tactical elite jacket, a patch is a patch and patches are cool. It will be displayed proudly on the patch wall I have planned.

So, they say this box has a value of $115, but was purchased for the low price of $50. To me this box was worth $36 for the paracord stuff and the other items are just trade/pif fodder.

I'm still in this for a couple more months at least, or at the most... next month we will see.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm still waiting on mine. Probably will show up today. I'm thinking I should have waited for your review first!

And weren't they proclaiming this months to be the most valuable yet? If that's the case, I'm a little concerned about what will be in future boxes...

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:34 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

DGM33 wrote:
I'm still waiting on mine. Probably will show up today. I'm thinking I should have waited for your review first!

And weren't they proclaiming this months to be the most valuable yet? If that's the case, I'm a little concerned about what will be in future boxes...

Yup. This was supposed to be a very high value box. Meh

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I have been watching the reviews of subscription boxes by Dynamic Prepper. He never shits on any products but talks them up which isn't a review. It is a hype/advertising mechanism. I'm glad you see the actual value(or lack there of) because it puts these products into perspective. Thanks Dan for taking one for the team.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Creek Stewart (author of several books, host of Fat Guys in the Woods, and all-around awesome survival dude) has a similar subscription for his Apocabox. (Link -- http://www.myapocabox.com/) Survival/outdoors stuff shipped every other month.

I'm always interested to see how these subscriptions work out in the long run and I think Ruso is probably right -- if you're new to something, this is a great way to accumulate a set of semi-curated gear that's of acceptable quality (some better than others).

Thanks for taking the time to try out the TacPack. I doubt I'll sign up for it but it might be a worthwhile option for someone new to the world of gun gear.

Side note: Cool idea on the fire-starting paracord but I wonder if it's TSA friendly. I already have gear that I've marked as "no fly" (the flashlights that live in the cleaning kit or range bag, etc.) and this might need to be on that list, too.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of other ones I've been eyeing:
https://www.battlbox.com
https://www.alphaoutpost.com

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking that if they sell,it to you for $50, it probably cost them $25, and is probably worth $30

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Got my TacPac. I'm trying to figure out what the hell the weird hunk of metal is for??? I even looked on their website and it didn't help. They call it an "equalizer." But what does it do????

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

DGM33 wrote:
Got my TacPac. I'm trying to figure out what the hell the weird hunk of metal is for??? I even looked on their website and it didn't help. They call it an "equalizer." But what does it do????

Exactly! It's part alum. knuckle, part bottle opener, part.... What the hell is that groove in the top? :bonghit:

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:

It equalizes income,, and you are on the wrong end.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:38 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Arisaka wrote:
It equalizes income,, and you are on the wrong end.

Damn it.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

groove on top?? maybe for opening cans?? well a bit as i expected little bits of stuff i suspect the manufacturer couldnt give away that these guys scour the globe for at pennies on the dollar and then apply a bit of misleading hype and convince poor schmucks to drop good money on. In other words making a company a middle man where on isnt needed and the consumer loses

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next