Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Cabelas in Lacey (updated) 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Old Growth wrote:
dreadi wrote:

In my early years of guns I was at a Cabela's in IL with my FL DL and wanted to handle some pistols. I was shopping for my first gun. The dude spent a good hour with me knowing that I could not buy a pistol. That's customer service.

Thats part of the problem.

During that time 8 other actual customers most likely did not receive the same service while actually spending money on retail items.

I don't understand why you see that as a problem? I still shop at Cabelas. I believe they make a higher percentage of profit from all the other products I have bought over the years compared to the percentage of profit from one gun I bought from them. If dude would have brushed me off, I'm more likely to have an opinion similar to or just like yours. Instead, he worked toward one or both outcomes. 1, an informed gun shopper. 2, a long-term customer. That experience has stuck with me for the past 10 years.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if you are visiting from another country, we will treat you the same as an actual buying customer. So I can understand that could be frustrating for actual WA buyers. We get some customers that come in, and say I want gun x and done. We have other customers that come in two or three times fondling, and researching guns till they make up their mind. The other day I had a guy that took forever, he bought 2 handgus and a rifle. Even though it was a slow weekday the few customers waiting suffered.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:21 pm

I have gone in there various times to sell some of my rifles and have been low-balled so badly that I refuse to deal with them at all and direct others to do the same. I will send people there to look at the selection that they have, find what they like, and then go to a real gun shop and buy what they want. I understand that they are a business and need to make a profit, but I expect to get treated fairly. One time I was looking to sell a Ruger in .458 mag. I went through their entire national gun library stock and found every matching Ruger that they had for sale. Taking their asking prices, I assumed about 60% to 70% is what I would be offered. Nope. I was offered about 30% of their asking price with no explanation given when asked. This has happened to me numerous times when I have reluctantly brought rifles in. I emailed Cabela's asking if this is their policy or could they explain the 70% discount they wanted me to take to deal with them and I have yet to receive any response from them. Cabela's is nice to take the kids to look at the animals and walk around, but no way in hell will I spend any significant amount of money there, ever. BTW, I don't know if I am just unlucky or what, but every time I've had to deal with the old guys in the gun library, they seem to have a high opinion of themselves and don't hold the rest of us peons in high regard. Oh well I guess.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:12 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thorsdad, 30%-40% of their selling price is about the normal policy at any gun shop including Cabelas. They all lowball the hell out of you. That's why online forums like this are such a great resource to gun owners. Here you can sell your items for a fair price to good people instead of taking one in the shorts by selling it to a "for profit" store.

In my experience the people at Cabelas have been friendly and helpful, but I wouldn't ever try to sell a gun there that's for sure.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Thorsdad wrote:
I have gone in there various times to sell some of my rifles and have been low-balled so badly that I refuse to deal with them at all and direct others to do the same. I will send people there to look at the selection that they have, find what they like, and then go to a real gun shop and buy what they want. I understand that they are a business and need to make a profit, but I expect to get treated fairly. One time I was looking to sell a Ruger in .458 mag. I went through their entire national gun library stock and found every matching Ruger that they had for sale. Taking their asking prices, I assumed about 60% to 70% is what I would be offered. Nope. I was offered about 30% of their asking price with no explanation given when asked. This has happened to me numerous times when I have reluctantly brought rifles in. I emailed Cabela's asking if this is their policy or could they explain the 70% discount they wanted me to take to deal with them and I have yet to receive any response from them. Cabela's is nice to take the kids to look at the animals and walk around, but no way in hell will I spend any significant amount of money there, ever. BTW, I don't know if I am just unlucky or what, but every time I've had to deal with the old guys in the gun library, they seem to have a high opinion of themselves and don't hold the rest of us peons in high regard. Oh well I guess.

So sell here. Any gun shop will give you pennies on the dollar, Its well known.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ponder this, a shop will offer 30 percent of true value (lowball), but will consign it for 10-20 percent.

So by buying it outright they make 100 percent or better markup. But the same sale on consignment they make only 10-20 percent. The same amount of space and time is taken from the case/counter for each sale.

It amazes me how big of a hit folks will take to "get cash right now!"!

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:13 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Needing 'cash right now' is always a bad position to be in.

Had a friend who pawned a bunch of stuff every month to pay rent, and picked it up a couple weeks later.
Paid $3-400/mo in loan and interest charges.
Told him he was just a week behind his life's schedule.

Old Growth wrote:

It amazes me how big of a hit folks will take to "get cash right now!"!

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's expensive to be poor like that. That's really sad to hear.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Poor people usually have poor ways with money. Sometimes it is just a lack of understanding how the world works.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish we had a "ride along" program so that you could see things from our perspective.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I wish we had a "ride along" program so that you could see things from our perspective.

No offense but I would never work behind the counter. Some of the dumbest things I've ever heard have been in an LGS --- on both sides of the counter. Some have been patently unsafe or dangerous. All the know-it-all OFWGs and "y'all gotchew any fotays?" peeps would drive me to suicide.

It doesn't take a retail sales consultant to figure out Cabelas. Assume that, like most verticals, guns follows the 80/20 rule with 80% largely uninformed buyers and 20% informed (gun nuts like us). Cabelas uses ads and other techniques to target the 80%. The high-retail prices most of the time with the occasional sale to draw people in. Like I said in an earlier post, I've never seen a used gun priced to move in a Cabelas.

Even with the overall downturn, the 80% still has more purchasing power than the 20%.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 am

When Cabela's first opened up, I overheard a customer talking with one of the gun salesman and the salesman was talking about the ability to put a stock on a pistol, if I remember correctly it was the Ruger Charger 10/22 pistol thing. I butted in and told the customer that would be creating a NFA weapon and be a big no no.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:18 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I found some good ammo deals at the Lacey Cabelas but that was about 6 years ago.
Was given about $500 Cabela bucks for my birthday over 5 years ago.
Still have over $100 left.
Can't find any deals, last item I bought was a one pound pack of beef jerky for $16.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Cabelas regularly has some of the best local ammo prices I've seen anywhere. Their Herters store brand is very good shooting ammo on the cheap. I understand Cabelas has its shortcomings, but if you know what you're after and aren't buying anything requiring a 4473 they're a good place to shop.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never had any issues with cabelas. They are ok in my book

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next