Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Avoid Quantico in Tacoma - terrible service & price gouging 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
So after 4 pages of this thread, I figured I would ad my .02.

First I want to say that I'm not one to complain much about customer service issues that often unless its completely ridiculous, since I deal with the public daily and know how ridiculous some people can be. With that being said, the service we got on that day was a joke. After we found out the fee was not the $15 advertised, I told LC that I would split it with him due to the miscommunication. I was talking with LC and the guy behind the counter about the website is a bit confusing on the price of their transfers, and he obviously didn't like me mentioning that. I wasn't crass or rude, it was just more of an observation but I can tell he got irritated by it. Sure, maybe I could have been more thorough in my reading of their website but its difficult to read and drive on the freeway.

I know they don't keep the lights on by doing these transfers, but it's more about building a customer base that comes back for purchases. I then asked if they had a holster for a CZ75, and I got a quick "No were not a CZ dealer" response. At that point I knew I was bout to take a ride on the struggle bus with this guy. When it came time to paying the transfer, I asked if he had change for a $50 so we could split it and was told no. I ended up overpaying for a Glock ETS mag just so I could get change.

We didn't need to go there, but the spot was convenient for both of us and from what we thought the transfer fee was fair. The old saying speak with your wallet will definitely come in to play with this place moving forward. Lesson learned.

Yeah, his response about both the CZ holster and inability to make change were both bewildering and flat out rude. I would not have been surprised if he simple threw the change at me and made me pick it up off the ground... I will never go back to QT. It's been the worst consumer experience I think I've had in any store in memory.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:07 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

leadcounsel wrote:

I don't mind the $15 but the doubling it and gouging of a pretty large tax on top of a transaction which was falsely advertised on their website it bad business.

For which product did Quantico tax you? The transfer fee? The magazine which L_O_G bought?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:08 am
Profile WWW

I have been following this for a few days, and I do have some input. Quantico Tactical the Corp. charges $15 dollars per FFL Transfer. The Tacoma, WA store is the only store in the Company that has the wonderful 594. The $15 fee doesn't count on all Private Transfers. I do 100's of private transfers a month. There is no way that I can do walk-ins, and be able to complete any work at the shop. You did not call ahead when you started the Transfer. That is why you were charged $30. That doesn't matter when you come to finalize the paperwork because of delays or any other issues. The Customers that call and schedule 24 hours in advance get the $15 rate. Even at the $15 I might break even for the time spent processing the paperwork, after paying my Employees. We did not force you to do anything. You could have not accepted the services Quantico Offered, and gone to another location. I have contacted Corp. and had them label the site more clearly so this won't be an issue in the future. I have a very large and loyal Customer base, and there is always going to be a customer that is going to be unhappy. Regardless, of what is done. There is always going to be someone who exaggerates what has happened, because they are unhappy. I did not witness this happen. I'm not saying you are exaggerating, but what I do know is if my Employees did what you are saying they would no longer be working here. Yet, I haven't let anyone go. I'm sorry you had a bad experience at the shop, but for every one of you I have 100 happy Customers.

Quantico Tactical will continue to take care of our Customers the best we can, and will work with them when issues arise. If a Customer has a problem, and acts like an Adult they are much more likely to have the outcome go in their favor, and that works both ways. I have talked to my Employees to find out what has happened, and address any issues I feel need to be addressed. I'm a retired Army Vet out of JBLM, the only thing I care about is getting my customers (Primarily LE/Military) into the items they want, at the best prices I can. I will continue to do that. I will always have happy and returning Customers. Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuanticoTacticalWA wrote:
I have been following this for a few days, and I do have some input. Quantico Tactical the Corp. charges $15 dollars per FFL Transfer. The Tacoma, WA store is the only store in the Company that has the wonderful 594. The $15 fee doesn't count on all Private Transfers. I do 100's of private transfers a month. There is no way that I can do walk-ins, and be able to complete any work at the shop. You did not call ahead when you started the Transfer. That is why you were charged $30. That doesn't matter when you come to finalize the paperwork because of delays or any other issues. The Customers that call and schedule 24 hours in advance get the $15 rate. Even at the $15 I might break even for the time spent processing the paperwork, after paying my Employees. We did not force you to do anything. You could have not accepted the services Quantico Offered, and gone to another location. I have contacted Corp. and had them label the site more clearly so this won't be an issue in the future. I have a very large and loyal Customer base, and there is always going to be a customer that is going to be unhappy. Regardless, of what is done. There is always going to be someone who exaggerates what has happened, because they are unhappy. I did not witness this happen. I'm not saying you are exaggerating, but what I do know is if my Employees did what you are saying they would no longer be working here. Yet, I haven't let anyone go. I'm sorry you had a bad experience at the shop, but for every one of you I have 100 happy Customers.

Quantico Tactical will continue to take care of our Customers the best we can, and will work with them when issues arise. If a Customer has a problem, and acts like an Adult they are much more likely to have the outcome go in their favor, and that works both ways. I have talked to my Employees to find out what has happened, and address any issues I feel need to be addressed. I'm a retired Army Vet out of JBLM, the only thing I care about is getting my customers (Primarily LE/Military) into the items they want, at the best prices I can. I will continue to do that. I will always have happy and returning Customers. Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Baloney.

1: 1 post, new member as of today. Welcome to the forum!

2: A prime example of poor customer service - blame the customer for not calling in advance to schedule a 10 minute procedure, for which the customer would have NO CLUE is a requirement or a price doubling issue. Oh, and it's also not advisable to accuse your customers of not being adults. I twice very maturely questioned the fee, and cited the website, and LOG also did it once. Apparently we're not adults though.

3: Don't care you have hundreds of satisfied customers. The ONLY other customers in my time in the store were two people doing a transfer and they looked equally unhappy about the $30 fee because they didn't call ahead. You had four customers in your store who observed your price doubling and (while I cannot speak for them, I assume) who left unhappy. LOG and I cited numerous customer service and policy failures. Also, a gun store not stocking holsters for one of the most common gun designs (CZ 75, with tens of millions in circulation in various configurations and clones like Tanfoglio, EAA, SAR, Armscor, etc.) is very poor inventory management. And a cashier unable to make change? ! Whatever.

4: You claim you can't cover your employees wages with what amounts to free money for a gun store in a fee that didn't exist a year ago, so it's just extra revenue and foot traffic. Seems like poor business skills. It's a 5-10 minute transaction that adds no material overhead or extra fixed costs... at an hourly rate, that's between 6-12 per hour, @ $15 each that's pure revenue of between $90-120/hr potentially walking in the door to cover your already fixed costs (roof, lights, computers, employees). There are nearly zero variable costs involved.

I've already spent too much time on this nonsense. Most unsatisfied people don't bother providing feedback. I've provided it on this forum, and the response for everyone to see from QT is to blame the customer. Good luck with that business model of blaming your customers and calling them childish.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

put on your big boy panties LC.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds pretty entitled to me to make a claim that services can be provided free or super cheap simply because existing overhead. One would imagine most business models are not built to factor in employee cost for a break even at best paperwork transaction. The front end of it may not take long presuming a proceed is given, but that paperwork still has to be filed, books updated, etc... with a handgun there is even more paperwork, and even more followup if the buyer doesn't have a CPL. Delays on any transaction add to the complexity of it. The amount of backend work for a "simple" transfer is probably double to triple what you see on the customer side of the counter and that all costs time and money no matter how often you stomp your feet about it. Justifying demanding loss leader pricing because a customer MIGHT buy other stuff or MIGHT be upsold into other things is absurd.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuanticoTacticalWA wrote:
If a Customer has a problem, and acts like an Adult they are much more likely to have the outcome go in their favor, and that works both ways..

Care to share how I should have "acted like an adult" when I simply stated to your worker that it would be helpful and less confusing if your website was updated with all the correct info to reflect both 594 (walk in/appointments) and regular transfers? Spending or saving an extra $15 is not going to make or brake my day by any means but a little clarification on fees would be nice.

Since you're in the mood of giving free advice today, I will offer some more of mine to you free of charge. You might want to add an asterisk next to the 594 one and mention the $30 fee for walk in appointments.

Just my .02 :cheers2:

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Sounds pretty entitled to me to make a claim that services can be provided free or super cheap simply because existing overhead. One would imagine most business models are not built to factor in employee cost for a break even at best paperwork transaction. The front end of it may not take long presuming a proceed is given, but that paperwork still has to be filed, books updated, etc... with a handgun there is even more paperwork, and even more followup if the buyer doesn't have a CPL. Delays on any transaction add to the complexity of it. The amount of backend work for a "simple" transfer is probably double to triple what you see on the customer side of the counter and that all costs time and money no matter how often you stomp your feet about it. Justifying demanding loss leader pricing because a customer MIGHT buy other stuff or MIGHT be upsold into other things is absurd.

Hourly employees, paperwork, books updating, etc. are all fixed overhead costs. Actually doing transfers is a way to reduce that overhead or justify it.

Hard to run a gun store if you can't or refuse to process background checks now isn't it? It's a sunk cost.

This is like a car dealer crying about the cost of giving test drives or charging a customer who didn't make an appointment for a test drive.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Test drives are an accepted part of car sales. An important one even.
Car dealerships are designed around that model.
Fixed prices probably do not include random entitled dude showing up wanting to take up staff time at a nominal (to him) cost while disregarding the additional labor that is required to handle this request that adds to fixed costs of business (increased labor on the backend)

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Test drives are an accepted part of car sales. An important one even.
Car dealerships are designed around that model.
Fixed prices probably do not include random entitled dude showing up wanting to take up staff time at a nominal (to him) cost while disregarding the additional labor that is required to handle this request that adds to fixed costs of business (increased labor on the backend)

Look up the definitions of fixed and sunk costs, and learn how to extrapolate hourly rate, and get back to me.

Employee wage ~$20/hr
Transfer ~10 minutes. There's 60 minutes in an hour. Do the math.

An employ standing around with his hands in his pockets (which would have been occurring in a store with the only foot traffic as 2 transfers) is generating $0 revenue.

PS - when you buy a gun there, they earn a sales margin on the gun, but I suspect there is no extra fee for all the extra mountain of work involved in the 4473 transfer.... all that labor gone to waste in pushing a few keys on a keyboard and logging it in a book.... Yeah, some sarcasm, because the extra work is nearly zero, as evidenced that there is no extra fee for that transfer.
PPS - Funny, their quote/claim about having the area's largest selection isn't even truthful. I can think of a handful of shops within 5 minutes that have as much or more.
* Bullseye in downtown Tacoma is twice as big, maybe larger, filled with ammo, guns, and a gun range and piles of gear
* Welchers is just a couple miles away from QT, and is probably twice the size and inventory
* Surplus ammo is far larger in terms of inventory - probably 4 times as many guns over QT, and stacked with ammo

And QT didn't even have a holster for the common CZ75, with tens of millions of them and their clones in circulation. So much for "largest selection."

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's ok. I'm familiar with it. You also keep rather deliberately ignoring the stuff beyond the 10 minutes you so blithely think is the sum total of a transfer. This may include the cost of background check software if used, keeping an accurate bound book, handling delays and denies, handling extra handgun paperwork, the chance that a real customer could come in while a cheap transfer is happening, the need to accurately account for all transfers in the various paperwork an FFL has to keep, etc...

Just admit you feel entitled to free/nearly free transfers and move on. You can wave ideas you don't fully grasp around all you want, but one can all but be sure that if it was profitable to do things your way, it would be happening in the name of competition. It isn't, so either the free market is a lie, or you are interpreting it wrong.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have zero doubt that L_O_G and leadcounsel experienced poor customer service. It happens.
I don't like ANY transfer fee at all ever, so I'd be incensed if I were hit with double for no appointment too. As a matter of fact, I'd have walked. That's just me.

The rep from Quantico responded with his take on the situation, and he admitted that he wasn't there to witness the event. I've seen better responses from a business owner/manager, and I've seen worse too. No big deal.

There isn't any sense in us beating each other about the head and shoulders.

My suggestion is let the "feedback" speak for itself. The review or feedback of Quantico was offered to the community, L_O_G backed it up, and the business/owner manager responded, for better or worse. I'd use the "beating a dead horse" emoticon, but it irritates my 3 year old daughter, and I am not sure I can take much more today.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:19 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5