Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Custom Katana under $300 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Hey wait I thought you had Brazilian cherry in your house. That's oak.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:

:facepalm2:

There's one in every crowd.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:48 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Oh I'm sorry condo boy, is your carpet jealous?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:

Excellent memory.

Different rooms, different flooring. Variety. Spice of life, and all that jazz.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

leadcounsel wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Excellent memory.

Different rooms, different flooring. Variety. Spice of life, and all that jazz.

Aaaaaack!!!!! Species mixer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :reaction:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Oh I'm sorry condo boy, is your carpet jealous?

Condo?? Nope.

But yeah, I'm a fan of carpet . . . I do have some hardwood, but as little as possible.

:peep:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sword... hardwood... carpet...

Comeon!

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Groundskeeper Willy wrote:
When you say useful functional blade, what are you using this thing for? Totally serious question.

Duh. Zombies. File uploaded.... :)

That is Pretty, but what does a person really do with it?

Hedge trimming? :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

leadcounsel wrote:

Comeon!

All right, back on topic.

I've been following this thread with interest, and last night after LC posted that he received his katana I actually went on the website and "designed" one and put it into my cart. Then I sat and thought about it, and read some threads, and eventually decided to bail on it for now.

I read some reviews of the Swords of Northshire swords, and found a couple of trends:

- People that were ecstatically happy with the quality; and
- Those who said that they are garbage and pointed to much more expensive swords that have better quality.

My conclusion? *shrug* It all depends on what you're looking for.

Is a Palmetto State Armory AR going to be garbage compared to a Daniel Defense? Yes. Is the Palmetto AR going to be perfectly fine for 95% of shooters? Absolutely. I suspect that a similar situation exists with these katanas. If you're going to leave it in the house, fondle it once in a while and show it off to random friends, then no doubt the Northshire swords are a hell of a deal. If you're a serious collector or you intend to actually use the sword(??), then I'm sure it's junk.

Like I said: *shrug*

I guess it's all up to the buyer and what's important to you. For me personally, there's no way in hell that I'm going to spend $2,000 on a sword that will never leave the house. Will I spend $300? Not this week . . . but maybe later. Maybe.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it matters, facebook message them for a discount. They kicked me 10% off and that was enough for me to pull the trigger.

I was like you - for a probably 2 years. lol. $300 isn't a big deal, but that's precious ammo/mags/whatever.

But after Hillary lost, I breathed a sigh of relief and didn't feel like every penny had to go to guns/ammo/mags.

This was a small treat - hell I just dropped 1/2 that on a date that went nowhere - and I'll say that if you want a really nice functional sword this is $ well spent. I'm elated with the craftsmanship and it's not a cheap Tacoma mall sword shop sword. This is a real sword with real steel behind it, real hand craftsmanship. And they engrave your name or something for free.

It was fun to customize it too. Hell, where are you going to get to customize a weapon, have it hand made, and shipped for under $300?

And they sent me a 15% off code for a future purchase, so I'm gearing up to order a second one... I'm no sword afficiando, but it's pretty bad ass.

I think the AR analogy is a good one. I am 100% confident that this sword would satisfy immediate self defense needs. Would it survive years of daily fighting? Who knows. It's bloody 1095 high carbon steel... it's a weapon that certainly would work if called into duty for defense. A persons arm or leg bone isn't going to break it.

Did I mention it's pretty bad ass?

I have a long list of weapons I'd call into duty first. But it would certainly be included in a bug out scenario. Light, and a great little weapon. I like pointy things, things that shoot, things that go bang. This is right up my alley. And under $300. Hello... :)

And the company gets an A+ for communication. It took 1 month to make it, then sent me a picture to confirm before shipping. They engraved my name (or anything I chose) on the blade. Then shipped it for free. Took 10 days to arrive. Total was under $300 for a custom made 1095 high carbon steel katana, wood sheath, leather wrapped pommel, with custom selected pieces. What more can you expect?

Last edited by leadcounsel on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Comeon!

I've been following this thread with interest, and last night after LC posted that he received his katana I actually went on the website and "designed" one and put it into my cart. Then I sat and thought about it, and read some threads, and eventually decided to bail on it for now.

I read some reviews of the Swords of Northshire swords, and found a couple of trends:

- Those who said that they are garbage and pointed to much more expensive swords that have better quality.

Is a Palmetto State Armory AR going to be garbage compared to a Daniel Defense? Yes. Is the Palmetto AR going to be perfectly fine for 95% of shooters? Absolutely. I suspect that a similar situation exists with these katanas. If you're going to leave it in the house, fondle it once in a while and show it off to random friends, then no doubt the Northshire swords are a hell of a deal. If you're a serious collector or you intend to actually use the sword(??), then I'm sure it's junk.

I guess it's all up to the buyer and what's important to you. For me personally, there's no way in hell that I'm going to spend $2,000 on a sword that will never leave the house. Will I spend $300? Not this week . . . but maybe later. Maybe.

You know those Pear tree's you want to get rid of? :thumbsup2:

Though in your neighborhood i doubt the neighbors would be impressed going all Samurai on them.

It is somewhat tempting though, sure seems like he got his money's worth

I just perused the website and i must say i am impressed. So many options, i could spend a long time building a Sword.

Very Nice LC, if i was really in the market for one i would order from them based on your review and pics.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Comeon!

Well there's the truth of the matter. I doubt you could tell me the difference between a Palmetto and DD rifle if I shot you with both. But in a 5k round firefight my Palmetto may not be shooting at that point. So civilian use vs. working use?

That seems applicable to the sword discussion.

And hey, whatcha mean no condo? I thought you were knee deep in HOA and nosy neighbors. No? :prettyeyes:

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:37 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
MadPick wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Comeon!

You know those Pear tree's you want to get rid of? :thumbsup2:

Though in your neighborhood i doubt the neighbors would be impressed going all Samurai on them.

It is somewhat tempting though, sure seems like he got his money's worth

I just perused the website and i must say i am impressed. So many options, i could spend a long time building a Sword.

Very Nice LC, if i was really in the market for one i would order from them based on your review and pics.

My interest is in how that blade would fare against a kevlar vest, a wooden nightstick, or even another blade. Maybe far fetched, but semi real world application.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the light research I've done I would conclude that the blade quality control of the "ancient" swordsmakers was all over the map. They used inferior materials and pounded the imperfections out to make excellent (or poor) swords.

Modern steels can be far superior because they are better original materials and made to a more consistent standard.

I don't know, and am not a metalurgist, but I'd suggest that a modern blade can be as good or better than one made centuries ago. Humans have gotten better at making steel, not worse.

I have no real-world experience with using blades in actual fighting against swordsmen, or people in kevlar, or with nightsticks, etc., but it's marketed as a 1095 blade. The same as say, a Kbar fighting knife. https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KA1217 ... her-Sheath

Assuming the steel was properly made, I'd have full confidence in any of those scenarios.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:
And hey, whatcha mean no condo? I thought you were knee deep in HOA and nosy neighbors.

I only have one problem neighbor, and he lives about a mile away.

Yeah, I was knee-deep in HOA stuff for the last couple of years, but in a good way, working as a member of the board. I live in a "real house," and our community has an HOA.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next