Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 My Favorite... the AimPoint PRO 

After considering the enormous benefits of the AimPoint PRO http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/AIM-12841.html, I couldn’t help getting it for my AR. Besides the attached mount and the flip-up lens covers, it also has several options for both normal and nightvision brightness and with its superb three years life span battery. The product box contained the optic, with already attached mount, flip-up caps, battery, operation manual, battery replacement reminder and the mount key.

The AimPoint PRO mount makes use of a torque-limiting knob. All you'll have to do is to fasten it to a Picatinny rail, turn the knob until you hear the third click. The third click means it is well tightened, assuring you that the optic is firmly fastened to the rail striking out the likelihood of rail damage. I normally remove my PRO for routine cleaning. I noticed some slight scratch on the finish of the rail, but that seem similar with all mounts. There have been no issues so far with the mount while using it. The mount also comes with a removable spacer. When the spacer is attached, it gives me a perfect height. However, I have two issues with the mount; the knob size and the turning direction to tighten it. For the size, I think that is obvious; from the product image, you can clearly observe how the large knob seems longer than the optic tube. And for the twisting direction, this is a personal issue. However, when the optic forward is forced on the rail and fastens it with the knob, it shifts backward which makes the optic not to seat properly in its groove. Although that can be overlooked, it’s a bit stressing.

One great feature I love is the flip-up lens covers; they protect the glass from dust even when packed up. One great thing about the covers is the clear insert of the rare which gives you a clear view of the red dot. You can keep the optic even with its covers down, and you can still aim without flipping the covers. Because of the durability of the battery, you can leave the dot always on. Now, having the dot always on, coupled with the possibility of using the optic even when the covers are down, this is certainly a perfect one for emergency situations where there may be no time to make the necessary adjustment.
The PRO is designed with a lot of brightness options including an option for Nightvision gadgets. Although I do not use any Nightvision device, the normal brightness settings are just perfect, giving a faint dot in the dark and a bright dot at daytime. It has standard settings for elevation and windage, as they would need a flat headed screwdriver or a coin to regulate. There are protective on the adjustment dials, which helps to protect them from moisture. The battery partition is also protected against moist, and there is a connection between the three caps - elevation, windage, and battery- with a rubber strap which helps to avoid loss. On the AimPoint web page, there is a claim that the PRO can be submerged up to 150 feet. I have never attempted that, and I doubt if I will ever do, but it’s simply amazing since one can easily rinse off dust.

I have taken the optic off sometimes and have gone to the range a bit. I’ve been very satisfied, but expect to do some minor settings at the range following a remounting. AimPoint gives a 10-year warranty offer on products that are not bought for competitions and 2-year warranty for those products bought for competition - just in case you need one.

Last edited by TacMac on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to WAGuns...

I thought aim point was something professional golfers used to read the break on a green. Now they have gun scopes too?

Sweet.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:13 pm

It's a big boy, if I were to pony up a lot of money for a red dot it would be an h1. What kind of hoops do you need to jump through with an ar in Maryland?

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]