Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 ETS AR-15 Magazines 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to awaken a slightly zombie thread, but I didn't want to create a new review. I picked up a couple coupler magazines. They seem pretty well made. I haven't tried them in a lower or shooting yet, but I did drop them on my hardwood floor. The coupler comes apart pretty easily, I'd say about 50% of the time. I was dropping from shooting height ~4-5 feet.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:
Then I decided to go check the composite Plum Crazy as well; the mag went in and out easily so I think it would drop free . . . except that the mag wouldn't go into the gun far enough to even lock into place. :cussing:

See the pic below; there's a ridge on the mag that hits the magwell, and prevents it from going in farther. I tried a few other mag types with the Plum Crazy, and they all worked.

Bottom line: The ETS mags worked just fine for me except that they wouldn't lock into the Plum Crazy lower.

I visited the ETS booth at SHOT Show today and asked them about this issue. They said that there are two possibilities:

(1) The mag ridge that I showed in the picture is hitting the lower receiver and preventing it from going into place. (This is what I thought was happening, as explained earlier.) That ridge is there deliberately to prevent over-insertion of the mag, so if you have an oddball lower then there could be a problem. They suggested using a Dremel to cut back the ridge on the mag if there's an issue.

(2) The rep said that some bolt carrier's aren't cut properly and have too much material on the bottom, and the feed lips on the mag can interfere with the bolt carrier. ETS will be coming out with a "version 2.0" at some point that has less material at the top to prevent this.

The way to test which issue you have is to remove the upper and just insert the mag into the lower. If it goes in fine, then the problem is with the bolt carrier. If you still have the problem, then the issue is with the ridge on the mag hitting the lower.

I'll have to go play with mine some more . . . .

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Update on the ETS mags....

I used two ETS mags almost exclusively for my recent hunting trip, where I shot over 1000 rounds suppressed through both an AR and a Mossberg MVP. I say "suppressed" because that means that everything was filthy. icon_eek

Uh hunting, and 1000 rounds don't typically go together in the same sentence. What were you "hunting"?

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Update on the ETS mags....

I used two ETS mags almost exclusively for my recent hunting trip, where I shot over 1000 rounds suppressed through both an AR and a Mossberg MVP. I say "suppressed" because that means that everything was filthy. icon_eek

Uh hunting, and 1000 rounds don't typically go together in the same sentence. What were you "hunting"?

Either an accurate zero or prairie dogs. Pick whichever one you like best.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:28 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haha ... yes, prairie dogs.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2