Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Vortex Optics 

Wanted to start this thread about Vortex Optics. Mainly so I can give my side of their products, warranty and customer service. Lets start from scratch.

Last year, around August, after doing quite a bit of research I decided to buy my first Vortex scope for my new .300 WSM. I chose the Crossfire 4x16x40 MilDot. Had to have the MD. Anyways, I was real excited when it arrived and took it out right away and had it mounted. Went to the range the next day and this thing was all over the place. Could not dial this thing in for the life of me. I was reloading my own ammo at the time, so I figured at first, it was the hand loads. A couple days later, did this again with proven loads and same issue. Called Vortex and they offered to cross ship a new scope. ( I was leaving in acouple of days on my Muley hunt) It arrived three days later, mounted it and tested it with proven loads. Worked great. (at least for the first 20 loads) Never had a good shot while hunting, so I decided to go to the range again and test some loads again. Wouldnt you know it.. the shots started drifting one MOA click every shot. Called Vortex and spoke with Jason... again... he apologized and said, lets try this again. Sent me another scope, cross shipped. It arrived and I put it through its paces. After around 20 rounds... guess what... started drifting again. Pretty much figured the .300 was a bit too much recoil for this lower grade crossfire. Called Vortex... again.... spoke with Jason... again... This time, he decided I had, had enough and offered me an upgrade for all the trouble. I ended up with a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50. Let me say, I love this scope. I have put that scope through its paces and it holds true. Very happy.

Part two: Recently purchased a .243 and a little short on cash after all the reloading supplies so I have held off on buying a scope, that is until recent. A friend of mine sent me a link for a Vortex Crossfire 6x24x50 MDT on sale at a great price. I didn't hesitate and purchased this right away. I figured this should be no problem for a little ole .243 When it arrived, I mounted the scope and rushed off to the range. Wow, love this scope. It sure seems to shoot well but I did notice the turrets seemed to be a bit loose for my likings. Not solid like the Viper or other scopes I had used. Well, guess what.... after about 40 rounds through this rifle, it seemed as if the shots were steadily climbing. Yea, you got it... now the elevation turret is jumping every shot. Verified for sure today. When I noticed the shots climbing, I decided to adjust the scope back down and make note of the turret's position. Had it set on 2.3 MOA..(noted) Started shooting and after about 8 shots, all climbing again I started to get a bit frustrated. First though, it was me, the ammo was a bit hotter then I rememberd I set the turret. Checked the setting... well it was now on 3.0 MOA... :(( :(( so, I called my buddy over and said, "Hey you will never believe this" and told him what was happening (he was planning on buying the same scope up until a few days ago) I asked him to verify the setting of the turret and I took three more shots. and.... you got it... the turret is now on 3.2.
So, I called Vortex and was told I needed to fill out a form online and mail the scope in for repair. (NOT!) I hadnt had this scope for a few days so that was not an option. They agreed to cross ship me a new scope, it should be here in a couple of days. I have a feeling though.. beatdeadhorse5

Yea, I know what you all are thinking... why didnt I learn with the first scope? Well, their scopes get great reviews and everyone seems to be happy with them. So, I just figured I got the bad lot and that the Crossfire was not sturdy enough for the higher powered rifles. but... a .243?? really.

Ill let you know how this one goes. Anyone else out there have a Vortex Scope and have had any issues? Seems to start happening after around 30 or more shots. Which I would guess, unless your an avid shooter, you probably wouldnt even notice.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good info! Let us know how the new one plays out!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:07 am
Profile WWW

Forgot to add the pic of the range target today. You can clearly see the shots were climbing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SigSaur wrote:
Forgot to add the pic of the range target today. You can clearly see the shots were climbing.

Your not a very good shot is all :)) Just kidding of course

I own a Vortex and I honestly forget what model it is lower priced one and I use it on my .270 and have had no issues at all with it. I bought it from Wholesale sports all the guys swear by them and I couldn't be happier. I heard nothing but good stuff about there warranty department but again I haven't had to deal with that and the glass is clear as day I spent 200.00 I think on the scope and I couldn't be happier.

Buying, Selling, Lease w/option to buy, Raw Land

Jason Aubry 206-327-0075
jaubry321@gmail.com

Debi Braulik
roundrealestate@gmail.com

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Quote:

Your not a very good shot is all :)) Just kidding of course

:((

Well, I am at a cross roads on this issue. I recieved a nice little email from the CSM at Vortex yesterday. In the emails she has stated that the previous CSM that handled my replacement last time is no longer with the company and that she will be following "tightend down policies" moving forward. Here is here response.
Quote:
For any future problems you may have, we will be adhering to the tightened down policies.
Warranty service is obtained for our products in the following way:
• The customer needs to send in the product at their own expense with the product repair form included.
• When the product is received, repair will be attempted. If repair is successful, the product is returned to the customer - Vortex absorbs the cost of the repair and the shipping back.
• If the repair is not able to be done, the product is replaced with the same product and shipped to the customer at Vortex expense.
• At this point, if the customer wishes to upgrade to something else, this can be discussed. Since an upgrade is just what it says - an upgrade to a more expensive product - an upgrade will always have a cost involved.
We just want you to be aware of this, should this session of repair/replacement/etc extend out as the other did.

She clearly states that if I continue to have trouble with this product line, my only option would be to pay for an upgraded model. Seems kind of like a "bait and switch" tactic to me. Sell you a defective product, then force you to buy something more expensive for that is not. ?? Not sure what to do at this point.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:41 am

It's a hard call that really only you can make. I recently had an experience with Burris' warranty department, and can tell you that no matter how many people swear by them, or how great their product is I will never own another Burris product. With the point that you are at though, I would probably send it back to them. If they can fix it then you are only out the cost of the return shipping. If they can't fix it for whatever reason and want you to upgrade; just have them return your old scope, toss it in the garbage, and look for a replacement elsewhere.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Situation Normal wrote:
If they can't fix it for whatever reason and want you to upgrade; just have them return your old scope, toss it in the garbage, and look for a replacement elsewhere.

Or pay for a cheap upgrade, get the new upgraded scope and then if you don't want it . . . post it here on WGO as NIB and get some cash out of the deal!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:45 am

MadPick wrote:
Situation Normal wrote:
If they can't fix it for whatever reason and want you to upgrade; just have them return your old scope, toss it in the garbage, and look for a replacement elsewhere.

Or pay for a cheap upgrade, get the new upgraded scope and then if you don't want it . . . post it here on WGO as NIB and get some cash out of the deal!

Yea, I have issue with that. The scope is less then two weeks old. It was purchased new. Rather then return to the Retailer, I figured I would give Vortex the chance to make it right. So far, there actions are customer friendly, if in fact the replacement scope arrives defect free and works as specified. If not, well that will be a whole other issue as per the CSM's original email statements.

In my response to the CSM's email, I stated
Quote:
You make it clear that the possibility exists that Vortex may not be able to provide a defect free Crossfire Scope product. Therefore the possibility exists that the product may need to be exchanged for a better quality product at my expense.

I am cautiously optimistic that Vortex can provide a Crossfire Scope that will not have this continued issue. Therefore, it is already in my opinion that this issue will only be resolved by exchange for sturdier built product. The true questions will be whether Vortex will consider this an upgrade with an expense attached.

I anxiously await my replacement and thank you for your prompt action.

Lets just say, my advocacy for Vortex will be greatly jeopardized if in fact this replacement scope fails and I have to pay for an upgrade because their Crossfire scope line is defective.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:08 am

Just a note, recieved the replacement scope. I had a long scheduled long range shoot planned for yesterday and recieved the scope on Thursday. Decided to mount the scope for the shoot on Sunday. Dialed in the scope on Friday. Shot on sunday. The scope worked well with no issues. Only fired 15 rounds through my .243 this day. Decided to remove and sell the scope. A 6x24 scope just is not what I need for a long range shot. Contrary to what one might think, when zoomed in at x24 the slightest recoil prevents you from seeing your shot placement at 800 yards. Plus it is hard to adjust your scope out to 800 yards when dialed in at 200 yards. The magnification changes your reticule adjustments on the mil-dot scale, if you are dialed in at x16. Decided to go with a 4x16x40 instead. I have listed the scope for sale in the classifieds.

Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just my 2 cents.
I am an advocate of Vortex optics. I work in retail and I know good customer service when I see it. I bought the Viper 6.5x20-50 mil dot a few months ago for my .308 FAL. The scope is the best part of the gun. it sited in super easy and stayed on target for a hundred plus rounds.
That said, Vortex is a bang for your buck company. At my store we sell binoculars, we sell Vortex, Nikon and Swarovsky (currently sold out of all 3, lame).
There is no comparison from Swarovsky to the others... none. it is soo much clearer its mind blowing. But you have to mortgage your house to get a set.
Nikon is nice, but there customer service is spotty. Vortex has always been there and been dependable. yeah they are not the highest end glass, but your not paying 2500$ either.
I would take my opinion with a grain of salt because my experience with scopes is limited. I know binoc's pretty well. Vortex has a lot of really good reviews all over the web.... But, in the end some products have their flaws. oh well.

Sun May 08, 2011 7:38 pm

SigSaur...
I have 3 Vortex scopes. None are Crossfires but none are Vipers either. I have all Diamondbacks. They're about at that Leupold VXI price point. I would say 2 things...one is don't base your impression of their product on the Crossfire scope. It's their bottom of their line product. 2nd their warranty and customer service gets rave reviews everywhere. Warrantys are out there because stuff breaks. Unfortunately you got one that broke.
The Viper line of scopes is flat awesome.

Sun May 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Echohill wrote:
SigSaur...
I have 3 Vortex scopes. None are Crossfires but none are Vipers either. I have all Diamondbacks. They're about at that Leupold VXI price point. I would say 2 things...one is don't base your impression of their product on the Crossfire scope. It's their bottom of their line product. 2nd their warranty and customer service gets rave reviews everywhere. Warrantys are out there because stuff breaks. Unfortunately you got one that broke.
The Viper line of scopes is flat awesome.

I hear ya. I have a Vortex Viper on my .300 WSM and love it. Never had an issue with that one. Have to say though, after four failures with the Crossfire version, I am in no hurry to give that one another shot.

Mon May 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Their Crossfire line of scopes are made in China. All of their other scopes are made in the former U.S territory of The Philippines .

Btw <--- Vortex Viper 2-7x32

Wed May 25, 2011 11:09 pm

Thought this deserved an update, its been awhile and so I have some new info. Not good though.

After getting the Crossfire scope replaced it seems to be tracking very well but I have little hope of it staying that way. I remounted the scope yesterday and decided to give it another try. After bore sigting, I took it to the range. The first shot was dead center and about 6 inches high. Made an adjustement, checked the turrets and shot a three shot group. All shots were sub moa @ 100 yards. So far so good. Did three more sets of three and same result. Decided to set the rifle aside and cool off. (.243)

Next up, my .300 WSM with a Vortex Viper scope. I had some trouble with the scope slipping at my last shoot so I finally took it in to the local Fall City Firearms and asked Lee (Owner) to remount the scope. He suggested new rings and I agreed. He told me that when he was bore sighting that he had to set the windage near full right to get it centered, which seemed odd to me. He asked me to take it out and shoot a few rounds to see how she zero's. Did that this morning. First shot, as I expected was high and about an inch right @100 yards. Adjusted down about 3 inches and left the windage stay set. The next three shots were tracking right +1" each shot. Hmm... So I adjusted the windage 3". Next three shots, near duplicate to the first three. This time, adjusted the windage another two inches. Next group SAME EXACT tracking!! WTF!?. I Checked the turrets and they have not moved but my rounds were clearly 3" right after adjusting a full five inches left. This explain why at my last shoot, I was so far off target.

I am taking this back to Lee today, have him look at the boresighting in comparison to when he set it. Just to get a second opinion. If it is what I fear, then this scope will also going back.

I think why most people dont realize these issues with Vortex scopes is that most people dont shoot as much as I do. These scopes are bright, clear and look great. Out of the box, they are fantastic. Track well and dead nuts spot on every time. After about 30 plus rounds with the Crossfire series, the recoil becomes too much to handle and the elevation or windage begins to break down. Bullets begin to travel. Now the Viper, well great scope and at the time it started to fail, I would have to say I have at least 150 plus rounds through that rifle. I reload so therefore I shoot ALOT! I dont believe most shooters put as many rounds down range, to even notice the issues with Vortex scopes.

Pending....

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:34 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the update Sig. I actually talked a buddy out of Votrex because of your reviews thus far.

Keep us informed!

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next