Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Leupold Scope Base Miss 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

jukk0u wrote:
Bore sight (not the $179 Shot in One) made getting on paper easy. At 100 yards I had to come up a bunch so I'm not maxed out (downward) on the turret anymore.

Wish the 10/22 had a longer pull on it. Anyone make an adult sized stock for these things?

Makes me want a more accurate shooter with a longer barrel and stock. I used to fondle a CZ American when I worked for the communist. Saw one when I was in Ideehoes this summer and should have bought it; they're discontinued now. I think it was Mauser-esque.
Magpul stock has adjustable LOP.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
07/02 NFA Dealer

http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some back and forth with Leupold's CS:

"How can we help you? Technical Product Question

What's on your mind?
Hello, I left a review about your Backcountry scope mount base for the 10/22. I had great difficulty with the product. #1 The instruction included with the packaging calls out 22 in-pounds on the fasteners. Upon stripping one of the holes I double checked and then went to your web site where the specs call out 12-15 in-pounds. So, three of the mount screws are installed over tension and the fourth I had to replace with an oversized fastener. I bought an 8x40 tap and #27 wire gauge drill bit and re-tapped my receiver. Bought an 8x40 screw and had to modify the scope mount to accommodate the larger screw head. Time and money. #2 Instructions also said if there is a bullet symbol on the underside of the mount that is to signify forward. No discernable symbol was on this mount. The base is advertised as a 20MOA mount. There should be a forward end. Which is it? The cantilevered end? Digging deeper I look at the specs which are listed as "base cant: NO" Your documentation is misleading."

***Yes, I should have kept it simple and only asked about the orientation of the base, but I wanted to rub their nose in the shit.

Matthew at Leupold, managed to issue a laconic response addressing only the torque spec:

"Tighten Ruger 10/22 screws to 12-15 in-lbs.
Regards,
Matthew"

Later he expanded on the subject:

"Good morning,
Sorry to hear that I can send you out a new base and screws but on the packaging it does say:
CAUTION: Tighten Ruger 10/22 screws to 12-15 in-lbs.
Regards,
Matthew"

***Why, you impudent little... OK, Matthew:

"Matthew,
Thank you for responding, but I don't think you're reading my message accurately or completely.

Or maybe I did not convey it clearly. Let's start anew and I ask that you would please address ALL of my questions. I'm a bit frustrated by the process the discrepancies in documentation and dissatisfied with the results. I'm not seeking a new base. The receiver was the item damaged and a new base won't remedy that issue. Please read on.

Attached is a picture of the instructions included with the base. It says:
"Secure the base to the receiver with the Torx screws and driver. Tighten the screws until they are secure, to 22 inch pounds ."

The instructions in my hand do NOT say 12-15 in-pounds.

(For proof, see the attached picture)

Your WEB PAGE says to tighten the screws to 12-15 in-pounds.

But by the time I read that I had already stripped the RECEIVER.

At first I thought it a fault of the Fixit Sticks torque limiter, and proceeded with the repair. I purchased a tap, a wire gauge drill bit, an 8/40 screw and a new torque wrench. I drilled and re-tapped the receiver and enlarged the hole in the mount to accommodate the larger screw head. Torqued to TWENTY TWO inch pounds with the new Vortex torque wrench. (Do you see a problem with this part, too?)

At this point I'm thinking I've succeeded in fixing the issue, but I went online to the Leupold catalogue page to check my work. I STILL had a question about whether the mount was oriented correctly. That is when I discovered the torque specs online differ from the printed instructions in my hand, and that ALL of the mount screws are now probably over torqued. (that leaves me pretty torqued).

I'm not going to disturb the installation, at this point, unless it should fail

To continue on, the question for which I seek confirmation is about the orientation of the base. Here Leupold's documentation is again sorely lacking. The on-line catalogue is entitled "20MOA base".

The on-line specifications say "Base Cant: No"

See screen shot of your web page, attached.

So, which is it?

This is important since the package instructions say: "IF the base is engraved" with a bullet symbol, that depicts the orientation of the installation. Thing is, Matthew, I've put on a few Leupold mounts that had that mark, but this one did NOT have such a marking.
So that leaves me wondering if I have it mounted correctly.

Whether in fact I missed seeing the mark, or if there is no mark, may I beg of you to look at one of your 10/22 mounts and tell me whether the cantilevered end is forward or rearward, please?

Given the time, effort and expense I've incurred as a result of the errors in documentation, I would certainly appreciate it if you could investigate that for me, please?
I won't ask you to eat crow and apologize if you'll kindly look into my question below [wink;wink, nudge, nudge]

At this point, Matthew tried to, again, refute the errors and my testimonial and photographic evidence thereof:

"Good morning,

Do you have the part number for the base. We don't make a 20 MOA rail for that rifle anymore. But if you are looking at the base the cantilever side where the rail sticks in front of the mounting point that is the front and needs to be facing the barrel.

Regards,

Matthew"

**Now, my dander is up:

"Good morning, Matthew,
You're up and at 'em early.
This morning you said: "We don't make a 20 MOA rail for that rifle anymore."

Did you look at the screen shot of your current web listings for available mounts that I included in my email last night?

It clearly states "20 MOA base"

Here's the part number and description I just now grabbed off your web site:

"BACKCOUNTRY CROSS-SLOT BASE RUGER 10/22 20MOA Part# 176389"

(I'm not shouting, your advertisement is all caps)

So, forgive me, but that's twice now that you've answered my assertions with statements contrary to easily obtained information posted plainly in Leupold's website and evidence, both oral and photographic, that I provided.

I am relieved to hear that I've installed the base correctly, with the cantilever pointing forward (which means I can read a caliper which showed that to be the lower side.)

One last favor, please: can you check on the status of my rebate submission for the rings?"

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2