Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Leupold Scope Base Miss 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The other day I posted a story about stripping the scope mount screw hole on a 10/22 receiver. The story continues...

I logged onto Leupold.com and compared the installation instructions online with those included in the package. You will recall I started with insufficient tooling to properly torque the base. I acquired a new Vortex torque wrench to complete the job, but my error is compounded by Leupold's error. (I left out the part where I used a heavier torq release tool, as I never tightened and stripped but the one screw with that tool.) My review and question on their web site:

"I'VE HAD A GREAT DEAL OF DIFFICULTY WITH THIS MOUNT
Review by Anonymous User (hmm, funny: I logged in and the review shows my name)

#1: Instructions say "if there's a bullet symbol on the underside of the mount, that indicates forward". Despite being a 20MOA mount there was no discernable symbol.

#2: The instructions in the package say "Secure the base to the receiver with the Torx(tm) screws and driver. Tighten the screws until they are secure, to 22 in-lbs."

*Please note: the instructions on THIS web page say:
"12-15 in-lbs (As Specified by Ruger)"

After stripping a hole in the receiver, I ordered a tap, bought a #27 wire size drill bit and a 8x40 screw. Then drilled the base to accept the screw head. I left the other three screws (apparently overtorqued) installed and said a prayer.

I should still like to find out if I installed the base properly oriented. Is the cantilevered end the forward or rearward end?"

I left the ring base installed to re-tap the hole. When the need to increase the relief in the base to accommodate the larger screw became apparent, I left everything installed and re-drilled the relief. That was a fun challenge to align the bit to existing hole and drill only deep enough to make space for the drill head and leave a shoulder for it to torque upon.

ETA: the new, larger torx screw is now also over tightened as I found the new online instructions/specification after completing installation. :cussing:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leupold is a little loopy on their documentation.

Looking back again at the catalogue listing on their web site, the mount is described as a "20MOA mount"

but look at the specifications:

SPECIFICATIONS
More Information
Material Aluminum
Base Cant No
Base Configuration 1 Piece
Weight (oz) 1.75
Base/Receiver Screw Torque 12-15 in-lbs (As Specified by Ruger)
Length (in) 5.8

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:51 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Cantilever is forward. If it’s an angled base the thinner end is forward (scope tilting down towards barrel)

I installed this 20moa base and scope on one of my 10/22’s last week

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it a Leupold Back Country mount?

BTW: I did measure and install with cantilever forward, but these guys are like Fuck Joe Biden at a presser where they say one thing and then contradict themselves. They need to hire Karine Jean-Pierre to talk back their shit.

FJB

Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:

BTW: I did measure and install with cantilever forward, but these guys are like Fuck Joe Biden at a presser where they say one thing and then contradict themselves. They need to hire Karine Jean-Pierre to talk back their shit.

No I used an Evolution Gun Werks base. What was the measured thickness at the rear mount point vs. the front on the Leupold base?

Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

No I used an Evolution Gun Werks base. What was the measured thickness at the rear mount point vs. the front on the Leupold base?

Not measured with a scaled measure; I held a piece of cardboard to one end and scribed the height. Compared the tic mark to the opposit end and found a slight observable deviation.

I'll break out my cheap caliper tomorrow and note the dimensions.

FJB

Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:22 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

Not measured with a scaled measure; I held a piece of cardboard to one end and scribed the height. Compared the tic mark to the opposit end and found a slight observable deviation.

Caliper method slightly preferred over cardboard and ballpoint pen method.

Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

Caliper method slightly preferred over cardboard and ballpoint pen method.

Ya think? :rofl9:

Cheap calipers are just that for accurate measurements too. Don't go cheap when you need precision.

The material you are running a fastener into dictates the torque, (Steel to Aluminum) the manufacturer may not differentiate for that in the instructions. Snug with Loctite of the correct color is your friend.

Sounds like you are in a real spot with it in more than one way.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Receiver is drilled and re-tapped. Scope base is modified to accept the larger fastener head. Raw aluminum blackened with a Birchwood Casey blackener pen (those things work great). Scope base fasteners locke-tite-d. Scope base is mounted cantilever forward. Scope is mounted and bore sighted. Fire for effect ASAP.

All this for a cheap $300.00 Leupold 3x9 Freedom scope.

Now all that is left to do is wonder if the fasteners - over-tightened due to Leupold's contradictory documentation - hold or strip under recoil.

And of course, to hold Leupold's feet to the fire for their retarded specs and advertisement.

FJB

Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scope mount appears to have 3/32" difference in height end to end. Cheap calipers, rounded receiver... rough measure.

Elevation turret is bottomed and still hits a tad high at +or - fifty feet.

FJB

Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:31 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Good. Forget about 50 feet. 50yds should be minimum zero. Can you shoot 200+ yds without bottoming out the scope adjustment?

Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can get a hundred yard shot here. Nowhere to reach out to two hundred :peep:

I'll report back what happens at 100, tomorrow, probably.

FJB

Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:52 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
I can get a hundred yard shot here. Nowhere to reach out to two hundred :peep:

I'll report back what happens at 100, tomorrow, probably.

100 won’t really tell you due to the drop of 22lr. Tell you what I probably need a 30moa base for mine. How about I just mail you this 20moa EGW and you try your best not to ugga dugga the receiver this time?

Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well... a couple of things:

#1: Depending on which page of their catalogue you're reading, this Leupold mount is supposed to be a 20MOA mount. They seem to be reluctant to correspond with me about it (or maybe it's because it was too late on Friday when I started poking their ribs.

#2: It's not entirely my fault the installation was bubba'd; they published two different torque specs and I used the wrong one - from the instructions included with the mount - before finding the other one on-line. And now that I have the 10mm galvanized lag bolt spun into my receiver where the stripped bolt used to be, and the other three over tightened, and who knows what condition they are really in, swapping it out may bring more problems. Even if the other fasteners and their respective holes are fine, I'd almost certainly still have to hog out your mount to accommodate the enlarged screw.

Let's wait and see how it shoots at fifty and 100 yards and what Leupold says in the coming week?

FJB

Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bore sight (not the $179 Shot in One) made getting on paper easy. At 100 yards I had to come up a bunch so I'm not maxed out (downward) on the turret anymore.

Wish the 10/22 had a longer pull on it. Anyone make an adult sized stock for these things?

Makes me want a more accurate shooter with a longer barrel and stock. I used to fondle a CZ American when I worked for the communist. Saw one when I was in Ideehoes this summer and should have bought it; they're discontinued now. I think it was Mauser-esque.

FJB

Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next