Switch to full style
Find a sweet deal? Want to help others locate an unusual item? Post it here!

Forum rules

If a deal has an expiration date, please include that in your thread title!
Post a reply

DoD to Open Online Exchange Shopping to Veterans

Wed May 10, 2017 5:29 pm

"WASHINGTON, Jan. 13, 2017 — The Defense Department announced today that veterans will soon be able to shop online at military exchanges.

The policy change will extend limited online military exchange shopping privileges to all honorably discharged veterans of the military, DoD officials said in a news release.

The shopping benefit will be effective this Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 2017.

While shopping privileges exclude the purchase of uniforms, alcohol and tobacco products, it includes the Exchange Services’ dynamic online retail environment known so well to service members and their families, the release said. The change follows careful analysis, coordination and strong public support, officials said in the release."

Re: DoD to Open Online Exchange Shopping to Veterans

Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Can't imagine .gov having the competence to break even on this while competing with Amazon and everyone else.
Doubt it lasts for long.

My moms husband is a retired Navy CDR, used to shop at the Exchange until they stopped the discounts on Makers Mark.
Now they just shop at Costco.

Wed May 10, 2017 6:31 pm

The exchange has shit prices on a lot of things anyway. You get better deals at Wal-Mart.

Wed May 10, 2017 7:31 pm

One big benefit... No Tax.

Just saying...

Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 pm

I used to shop at commissary for certain things when we lived close but now the savings don't justify the drive.
Moons ago before Everett and Smokey Point my mom would drive to the Coast Guard station in Seattle to buy cartons of smokes and the commissary in Fort Lewis for groceries from Mount Vernon. She didn't like the one on Whidbey for some reason.

Just think now we can order those sweet Black Friday deals from the PX.

Wed May 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Reading is fundamental. Booze, food, and cigs not covered. Online only. Last year I got a 50 inch TV Thanksgiving day for $300, no tax, and free shipping to my front door. What a bunch of debbie downers. Mods feel free to delete this thread since it seems most of the posters are ungrateful for money saving info.

Sometimes I have to ask myself why I even bother posting in this thread. It seems everybody just wants to complain.

Wed May 10, 2017 11:03 pm

golddigger14s wrote:Sometimes I have to ask myself why I even bother posting in this thread. It seems everybody just wants to complain.

Eh? Most of the replies were positive....

Go to bed, Chuck. I suspect that a lot of y'all will be pretty poor come Veterans' Day. :ROFLMAO:

Wed May 10, 2017 11:24 pm

MadPick wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:Sometimes I have to ask myself why I even bother posting in this thread. It seems everybody just wants to complain.

Eh? Most of the replies were positive....

Go to bed, Chuck. I suspect that a lot of y'all will be pretty poor come Veterans' Day. :ROFLMAO:

Good night, your right this sounds very positive:

"Can't imagine .gov having the competence to break even on this while competing with Amazon and everyone else.
Doubt it lasts for long.

My moms husband is a retired Navy CDR, used to shop at the Exchange until they stopped the discounts on Makers Mark.
Now they just shop at Costco.

The exchange has shit prices on a lot of things anyway. You get better deals at Wal-Mart"

Thu May 11, 2017 5:23 am

And the two replies after those were positive.

You'll get this with every deal you post. Some will like it. Some won't.

Thu May 11, 2017 7:31 am

:patriot:
It is a benefit. If you want to use, go ahead. If not, oh well.

Thu May 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks for the info.

Anybody heard the latest on Veterans I.D. cards? A DD214 would probably work here, but other offers ask for an I.D. card.

Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 am

Here in MN, they're including vet status on the new real id licenses. Since it takes a DD214 to get the status on the license, and the license is federally compliant, it'll function as a roundly accepted vet id for us. Not sure if the DOL out there is doing anything similar though...

Sun May 21, 2017 3:57 pm

dwnels2 wrote:Here in MN, they're including vet status on the new real id licenses. Since it takes a DD214 to get the status on the license, and the license is federally compliant, it'll function as a roundly accepted vet id for us. Not sure if the DOL out there is doing anything similar though...

How does one go about getting one?

Sun May 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Meh. The only reason I want to go to the EXchange is for the booze and the dip

Sun May 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Soldier_Citizen wrote:Meh. The only reason I want to go to the EXchange is for the booze and the dip

Well, two reasons not to be left out of that.
Post a reply