Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Armed Security Guards at Schools? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who CAN you trust? Police? Military? Security Guards? Mom? Dad?... the Government?!?

All of the above are just costumes worn by crazy bi-pedal monkeys. [shakes head]

http://komonews.com/news/offbeat/securi ... t-students

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not much different from the actions of teachers as of late.....

Most security guard positions do not pay that much, if you want to attract the best and brightest, you need to pay more money.

I say we let the private sector solve this one. Initiate a school voucher system, private schools with adequate security will pop up everywhere and educate our kids better and for less money.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Israel has had ongoing problems with internal security and terrorism. Anyone know how they have approached this problem?

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Israel has had ongoing problems with internal security and terrorism. Anyone know how they have approached this problem?

And? Israel has mandatory military service, so it's not really a fair comparison.

I don't want some guy who can't make the cut for a real LEO agency "guarding" my children. I don't want teachers armed, either--maybe administrators, maybe, but with regards to the most recent shooting, would the "one good guy with a gun" solution really have worked? With the halls flooded with students and staff, fire alarm pulled, etc. could anyone not heavily trained and equally armed sight in and successfully target the shooter without incidental injury?

Which brings me back to the "Where the fuck was the SRO" question, for which no one seems to have an answer.

You might not have children, GWG. I do. I have literal skin in the game. Even so, I don't think that arming teachers and staff is the right answer.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

And? Israel has mandatory military service, so it's not really a fair comparison.

I don't want some guy who can't make the cut for a real LEO agency "guarding" my children. I don't want teachers armed, either--maybe administrators, maybe, but with regards to the most recent shooting, would the "one good guy with a gun" solution really have worked? With the halls flooded with students and staff, fire alarm pulled, etc. could anyone not heavily trained and equally armed sight in and successfully target the shooter without incidental injury?

Which brings me back to the "Where the fuck was the SRO" question, for which no one seems to have an answer.

You might not have children, GWG. I do. I have literal skin in the game. Even so, I don't think that arming teachers and staff is the right answer.

I tend to agree that we should leave teachers and admin to do their job and hire trained security. I also think there is enough waste/redundancy in a lot of districts to shitcan a duplicative administrator position or three and use the savings to pay for security. The solution could even include a split between trained security and LEOs sharing the coverage. As a matter of fact it might be an excellent use for Reserve Sheriff's deputies in many jurisdictions. Of course for any of that to actually happen one would first have to get around the teachers unions and those who disagree with having good guys with guns protect schools. For the life of me I dont understand that mentality, we have armed guards protect banks and the like but they are no good for protecting innocent children? Is this kind of thinking just out of fear that those who are anti-gun would be "compromising" or caving to the pro-gun side who frequently mention this as part of the solution to these kinds of shootings? (rhetorical question).

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

It was just a simple question. No need for a personal attack here. And by the way we are raising my wife's eight year old grandson. So unless you know what you're talking about, just back off a bit please.

And no I was not assuming that the IDF was guarding every school in the country on the basis of compulsory military service.

Last edited by GeekWithGuns on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:

https://townhall.com/columnists/lawrenc ... s-n2449726

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan10mmman wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

https://townhall.com/columnists/lawrenc ... s-n2449726

Thanks Dan appreciate the link

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smart guns and schools: there is a video commentary on liveleak where a woman is touting "smart" guns that wouldn't be able to be fired when within a gun zone.

Another idea I read about today was a guy advocating spending $233 per student/perday on QUALIFIED security. His rationalization as applied to a larger school district was that the $100,000 per officer, training and equipment ($700,000) per year for a school with 3,100 students would provide the necessary protections for approximately an additional 2% of the current school budget.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/how-to ... z57Ydd5jge

at least folks are thinking outside the box...

I think bringing back public hangings might produce the desired deterrent. (but I woke up cranky this morning)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that by not allowing people to arm themselves, their ability to protect and defend themselves and anyone they are charged with overseeing their safety, is compromised.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First.

Has no one here ever been responsible for security somewhere, and walked through, pretending to be the bad guy, to get the layout and possibilities down, so you could better see how to 'close the gaps in the security wall'?

It's typical of media not to ask questions, see something like this, make the worst possible assumptions, and run with it. Unfortunately it is also becoming all too common for people to just accept those assumptions. Because hey! The media said it was so, or at least "purported" it to be so.

I have no idea whether this guy was actually just pretending to shoot the kids for the fun of it, or if he had other thoughts in his head. Do you? Has anyone asked him? If they did, did they tell the truth in what they 'revealed'?

~~~~~~~

glockgirl wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

glockgirl wrote:

Who asked for a comparison? He asked what have they done to deal with this sort of problem. If they have done something to deal with the problem, we might be able to learn from that.

glockgirl wrote:

So you would choose your 'armed citizen in the school', based solely on pay grade?

Let me use your own value system way of addressing these sorts of things, (What has happened in your own life.) to address this. Most administrators that I have know are complete foofs. Completely self centered. Only concerned about number one. And 'the rules'. Most teachers that I have known are as protective of their students as they are of their own children. Guess which one I would want guarding my children.

As for successfully targeting the shooter without hitting anyone else: You have a choice... Try to shoot the shooter, or not. If you do, and you hit the shooter, but you hit someone else too... You have stopped the shooter. No one else is going to get dead after that. Whereas if you decide not to shoot the shooter because you MIGHT hit someone else... More people are going to get dead, because the shooter hasn't been stopped. See how that works? Maybe one or two more people get hurt, but the shooter is stopped. Versus not stopping the shooter, and guaranteed, more people are going to get injured or killed...

In a crazy situation like that, even the most expert and skilled marksman may have to take a chance, in order to stop the shooter.

Now lets say that no one does anything, but wait for the police to show up. More people getting injured or killed as they wait. And when the police show up, what do they do? Do they wait until they have the PERFECT shot so no one else gets hit? No. They take the shot because they know that until the shooter is stopped, more people are going to get killed or injured.

glockgirl wrote:

That... Is still a good question.

People are people. People in all walks of life, and at all levels/ranks, including law enforcement, military, security, teaching, grocery store managing, etc... Make bad decisions.

More, in these kinds of situations, most people have NO idea what they would actually DO. Not until they are actually THERE do they find out that they are or are not the heroes they think they will be.

Some are cowards. In every one of those professions.

And some will put their own life on the line in an instant. Maybe this SRO was a coward, and hid. Maybe they were in the bathroom. Maybe they were sleeping in some closet somewhere.

Thing is, any cop, military person, teacher, administrator, might have done the same.

glockgirl wrote:

Most of us here do have children or grandchildren in school. What makes your emotional opinions as a parent better than our logical ones?

I'd hate to see a world that is dominated solely by logic. Emotions are good. But they MUST be kept in check. When emotions rule... Well...

Emotional reactions and thinking leads to piss-poor decisions.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Last edited by Selador on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

I have children, and I would have no issues with a teacher who supports the 2A and who is firearms trained that carries on school grounds. As a matter of fact, I would gladly welcome it.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that by not allowing people to arm themselves, their ability to protect and defend themselves and anyone they are charged with overseeing their safety, is compromised.

I don't have a problem with allowing teachers to carry. I have a serious problem with advertising that fact and presuming that it is the singular fix against school shootings. All it would do would be to make staff more of a target for school shooters than they are already.

As to the thinking that there are somehow "redundant" administrators...ermm, no, not so much. My son's high school has just under 1500 students, with a principal, two assistant principals and two counselors (maybe four now) to serve all those students with all of their individual needs. Teachers? Each teacher (aside from special-needs student specialists) teaches five or six periods per day, with one additional planning period. That's ~175 students, on average, per day, cycling through the classroom. Not much slack, there, either. And it should be pointed out that this is in an extraordinarily well funded school district (BSD) with strong community and private sector support, both financial and in-kind.

It would be nice to have one simple solution (private sector! security guards! unemployed veterans! ad nauseam) to the problem of school shootings, but any solution is going to have to be multipronged and yes, will probably involve limiting access to firearms for some individuals.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
dreadi wrote:

All it would do would be to make staff more of a target for school shooters than they are already..

So you really believe that a school shooter is more likely to run and gun for teachers that are armed as opposed to those who are unarmed? The reason these sick fucks target schools is because they know they will face little or no resistance. Throw a couple teachers on campus undercover carrying pistols and the playing field gets closer to even.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"allowing" "limiting" "restricting"

That is the language of slave and master.

"...land of the FREEEEEEE....(ahem, well... kinda. When you're doing the things that are allowed) and the home of the Brave....( we'll make sure to have security in place so you can feel that way... you know, since you're not allowed to be personally responsible for that anymore)"

FJB

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next