Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Advice requested - stripped screw heads 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey all. I`ve been thinking for a while about repurposing a horrible bookcase into some shelves, but upon close inspection the screws are all stripped at the head. How would we suggest removing them? I have a rather basic toolkit at my disposal.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you need a set of easy-outs

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=screw+extractor

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Screw-extractors-Drill-bits-Power-tools-Tools/4294607735

And a drill.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:37 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I used to use Easy out.
These new screw extractors may work better.
Just need to drill out a hole, and something that grips into the screw with a left hand pitch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTLM40/re ... 405375732/

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuck`s sake you`re (JD, not Guntrader lmao) on it with woodworking anything aren`t you?

Best I have is a few nail sets, but those are p much useless far as I can think.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

when i said easy out I was using the term interchangeably with the generic term for the tool which you seek which is a screw extractor. The mechanics I work with just call them easy-outs regardless of brand.

You might be able to borrow someones set if you know anyone with tools: mechanic, carpenter, etc.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know a handful of guys with that kinda stuff, I was working in renovation for a while. Worst case I rip the whole pile of garbage apart by hand and just cut off the shredded ends. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you got a Dremel, cut a standard screwdriver slot in the top and have at it. Just had the same problem recently.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a 1/8 and then 3/16 drill bit to,it. The heads should come off. Then, using a wood block, hammer off the vertical board from the shelves. Use vice grips to get the screw,shanks out of,the shelf ends

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a lot of them are square drive that someone has hogged with a philips.

Have you tried a square drive on them yet? Usually still works even after hogging with a philips...

Be careful to get the right size. Then set the bit into the hole carefully, and tap it in there. Should work.

If not the dremel to make a slot will work.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no squares available currently, if the neighbor`s around I could probably borrow a set from him, but he`s supposed to go visit family tonight so I dunno.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:05 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

vic_b wrote:
If you got a Dremel, cut a standard screwdriver slot in the top and have at it. Just had the same problem recently.

This is the only way you're getting those screws out. Its frikken WOOD guys.

Andrew, Make them into a flat screwdriver slot and press hard on a good screwdriver ...back them out..

Easyouts work in machinery/machine bolts...and not at all well in that application.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

make it easy....... burn it and buy a new shelf

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The American way. :flag: :flag: :flag: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :flag: :patriot: :patriot: :flag: :flag: :patriot: :patriot: :flag: :flag: :patriot: :flag: :flag: :patriot: :flag: :flag: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :flag: :flag: :flag: :patriot: :flag: :flag: :patriot: :patriot: :flag: :flag:

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:
vic_b wrote:

This is the only way you're getting those screws out. Its frikken WOOD guys.

Andrew, Make them into a flat screwdriver slot and press hard on a good screwdriver ...back them out..

Easyouts work in machinery/machine bolts...and not at all well in that application.
I've used them succesfully with wood screws. Just can't fly at 'er hair straight back. YMMV.

Sent from Proxima Centauri B through the ether using FTP transmission technology, Honey Encryption, and Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches

Jeff Cooper

cityslicker wrote:

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news, lads. The previously discussed Neighbor is waiting till tomorrow morning to leave so I have the tools. I think we can call this one locked.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next