Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:29 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next
 shooter in custody- FL - High school - Broward Couty 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:02 pm

BadKarma wrote:
PMB wrote:
BadKarma wrote:
Age was not an issue. Mental illness was 100% responsible and 100% preventable.

I avoid saying anything like this is preventable.
People are dangerous... No two ways about that.

He was being treated for a mental illness. That should have been an automatic reporting to the ATF/FBI and he should have failed his background check. Mental Illness is the #1 cause of violent crimes.

TechnoWeenie wrote:
BadKarma wrote:
Just like concussion release, medical release, when you are cleared by a medical professional.

OK, but who makes that initial determination? How does that information get transmitted, and who determines when/why? What precipitates the inquiry?

I had a concussion due to my accident.... I had stuttering, memory loss, decreased cognitive functions (couldn't place objects and names together), sensory sensitivity, etc. should I have been disarmed? 99% of the time I was fine, other than acting like a man with an early case of Alzheimer's... and I felt I was of sound enough mind to carry (trust me, I thought hard about it)...

If so, then how does that happen?

What would have happened if I had armed agents of the gov't knocking on my door demanding they be let in to take my weapons? What if it was a tactical entry team @ 3am because 'they knew I was prohibited and knew I was armed'?

I'm not trying to be combative, just trying to show how things aren't always as simple as they seem. Kinda like the guy registering as a sex offender for life and not being able to be alone with his kids because he took a piss on the side of a highway and got hit with a 'lewd conduct' charge... If there's a way for it to be abused, misused, or misapplied, it will be.

If you are being treated for mental illness, it should be automatic reporting. When you are cleared by a medical professional that you are no longer mentally ill, then you can gain your right back. It is really that simple.

How quickly do you expect this to occur in an infrastructure that cannot even get a NFA stamp back to a person who already has NFA items in less than 200 days?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Wetpaperbag wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
2 things I can see to 'fix' this particular situation.

1. The FBI fucked up. It wasn't investigated properly.
2. As mentioned, armed security/teachers, and reinforced doors.

Attachment:
20180216_030357.png

I agree with armed security or law enforcement, but not to armed teachers. I've been around too many teachers that can't keep track of their keys, how would I expect them to keep track of a firearm? Or the teacher who will show the class where they keep it and say, 'here it is incase of emergencies.' I can also see teachers using it as a tool of power over students. Have that student who is not getting to work, a quick point to a gun on the hip telling them to be back on task isn't the answer, but I can see someone doing that. I can also see people using a gun as a tool to groom a student, or force a student to do sexual acts. We hear about sexual misconduct taking place between faculty and students, putting a gun into the mix adds more power to someone. How does any of that help kids feel safe if they have their teachers using the gun in a different way than it was intended? One bad report and the whole 'armed teachers' conversation will go down the drain quickly.

I don't care how much training someone gets, there are always going to be people who still won't be comfortable, let alone smart, about how they handle firearms. I would rather someone who is trained security or law enforcement be the one to take on this responsibility. Those folks are generally going to be familiar with guns, and I can see it being a better show of force over little Miss Linden packing heat. Teachers already have enough trainings to do, and things to be responsible for, being responsible for and using a gun shouldn't be one of them.

We train pilots, why not teachers? I see pilots and teachers similarly, in the fact that they're responsible for a LOT of lives, and are, supposed to be at least, highly trained and the top tier in their field.

Volunteers, are what are needed..... require extensive background checks... and, of course, statistically speaking, CCW holders are more law abiding than cops... Just saying... If you can pass a S/TS, you should be able to carry. I have friends with TS who can't carry where they work. Literally trusted with information that's critical to the United States, but can't defend themselves with a gun. That's an argument for another day, but how can you trust someone with the FUTURE of this country, essentially deciding how they're raised, what they learn,etc. and not trust them to protect them?

This also then leeches into the inevitable 'what's a good teacher?' discussion.

But are we training pilots to use a gun in the event of a plane jacking? I believe that is the job of an air marshal, plus the extensive screening in the form of id checking, bag checking, and patting down prior to getting on an airplane is all about. Should we extend this TSA style system to schools too? Plus if you are relying on teachers to essentially raise your kids, then as a parent you are doing it wrong. More and more teachers are having to play the roll of parent because of the number of parents who aren't doing their part. Too many parents are expecting the public education system to give their child all their life skills so they don't have to, or because they are too inept to do so. Which would explain why so many students come to schools without the social skills bag of tools to manage peer interactions, unfair situations, rejection, not being included in everything, or not everyone wanting to be your friend. I don't feel it should be the job of the teacher to pack heat in the room. Give that roll to another authority figure, and design that roll into a way to both serve and protect students, but also be a positive tool for law enforcement to be an outreach to the community.

Besides, where are the states going to find the money to pay for training, lock boxes, guns, and ammo to supply classrooms? Let alone probably having to pay someone to clean and maintain said firearms? Do we supply bullet proof vests too? What kind of liability would be placed on a district or teacher for an accident, or friendly fire situation in the event of a shooting? Do you think the voting population of Washington would support taxes to pay for these things?

A buddy of mine is a principal in a small town in Montana. After Sandy Hook his local community demanded that someone on campus must have a gun to help prevent this from happening at their school. The school board decided to pay for training, a gun, ammo, and a lock box for him. He is not allowed to carry it on his persons unless of emergencies, and has to keep his door locked at all times. He feels that if something did happen, and he is away from his office, he actually won't be able to get to his office, unlock the door and the box in time to prevent casualties. Especially since his community is expecting him to do so. He feels money would be better spent on a full time guard or cop in the building. This way when SHTF the officer can react sooner and help save more lives as they will be actively carrying and can address the situation with a faster response.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Volunteers apply, then get qualified, mandatory shooter training with local PD, when PD qualifies, they qualify. Requalify on PD schedule. Qualify with their own ammo. as far as liability goes, that's a good question.I hate giving people 'outs', but with the litigious society we have..Maybe a 'immune as long as a reasonable person would have acted the way they did' kind of thing, not a 'reasonable police officer' standard, but a reasonable person.

In areas where there are no/few volunteers, then you might need to have trained volunteers..that aren't teachers... I'd fucking LOVE to see retired gunnys playing hall monitor, while keeping watch....

The bigger issue is going to come in anti-gun areas/communities..

But, you allow armed guards to protect your money, but not your children?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/16/fl ... oting.html

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Over the past day or so a bunch of school walk outs have been planned, as well as protests in Florida by students and adults. They are asking for politicians to do something to curb these school shooting events. But if we look back on a number of them they are caused by someone either being picked on, dumped, or not included. That all points to how students are treating one another. There are a lot of students who make comments through the internet, and aren't held accountable. Or someone will say something they actually mean, get a negative reaction, and say, "just kidding." If students want these events to change, perhaps they need to look at how they are treating each other and hold themselves accountable for their words and actions.

Also isn't any object that was used to inflict harm or damage on someone considered an 'assault weapon' based on the fact the user committed assault?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ben (dickhead) Dickmann Gives AR-15 to Police Because .....because he is a fuckin' idiot.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-shooting-man-gives-ar-140114808.html

dipshit wrote:
"I do not need this rifle. No one without a law enforcement badge needs this rifle," he wrote on Friday. "This rifle is not a 'tool' I have use for. A tool, by definition makes a job/work easier. Any 'job' I can think of legally needing doing can be done better by a different firearm."

He continued, "I could have easily sold this rifle, but no person needs this."

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
Ben (dickhead) Dickmann Gives AR-15 to Police Because .....because he is a fuckin' idiot.

dipshit wrote:
"I do not need this rifle. No one without a law enforcement badge needs this rifle," he wrote on Friday. "This rifle is not a 'tool' I have use for. A tool, by definition makes a job/work easier. Any 'job' I can think of legally needing doing can be done better by a different firearm."

I saw that too.

Wonder if it will end up being auctioned off. That would be hilarious.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking it's pretty smart. Who the fuck wants an ar57. He probably can't sell it. But, by 'donating' it to the police department, he can take it as a tax deduction... Full retail...lol

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

RocketScott wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:

dipshit wrote:

I saw that too.

Wonder if it will end up being auctioned off. That would be hilarious.

Auctioned off to a FFL who sells it to a creepy 19 year old kid the FBI was warned about.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out this text exchange between the shooter and his ex's new man.. No red flags?

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 1932523521

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neither seem to be class individuals. Sad.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

There are a lot of calls along the lines of "Why didn't the (FBI, CIA, Trump, Local Police) do something about him?!"
I don't understand how that is possible in most cases. People are weird. People say threatening things all the time.

The danger of living in a free nation is that we don't just yank weird and scary people off the street and into an interrogation chamber. I don't want to live in a society that promises me safety by eliminating all threats.
This guy apparently went past that stage and actually made social media posts threatening to become a mass murderer at a school. Maybe "we" could have done something about this guy, but more than likely he would have been interviewed and the results would probably have been "He's an asshole and probably dangerous, but he hasn't broken enough laws (or the right applicable laws) to arrest him."
Maybe the talk would have worked... Maybe not.

Saying "There were signs before the incident that should have alerted LE" would probably apply to many MANY more than just criminals.
The Las Vegas murderer seems to be a rare exception.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the (many) problems with automatically adding every person being treated for a mental health issue to any sort of list or database is that all sorts of disorders and syndromes fall under the "mental health" banner.

Eating disorders are not only considered a mental health issue, they're actually a major category in the mental health spectrum. Does it make sense, either at an individual level or at the administrative level, to flag every bulimia sufferer as a prohibited person? Hoarding is also a form of mental illness, but is someone who fills their house with books inherently dangerous? Claustrophobia is a mental illness. And isn't it possible that even more issues will be added to the "mental health" bucket as time goes on, putting greater numbers of people on the watch list du jour?

Actually making a difference in identifying and helping people with genuine dangerous tendencies (or at least preventing more of them from hurting others) will take a lot of work. People don't like work. People like labels and telling others that they're a victim of something and getting attention. Until people are willing to abandon the easy stuff and commit to the hard stuff, things probably won't change much.

A teacher in Florida gave her thoughts, and they're spot on. This site is kind of a mess but about halfway down the page they print her Facebook post in its entirety. https://rare.us/rare-news/florida-teachers-sincere-response-to-the-murders-of-17-shared-600000-times-and-counting/

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another idiot of the day: http://keprtv.com/news/offbeat/is-it-more-important-than-someones-life-man-destroys-ar-15-in-wake-of-florida-shooting

Quote:
"Is the right to own this weapon more important than someone's life?... Look at the pictures of those victims. Is that right more important?," says Pappalardo before stating that he wants to make sure his gun is never capable of taking someone's life.

He then gets up and proceeds to saw off the barrel of his gun.

"Now, there's one less."

about $150 will fix that, ya dumb fuck! :gibbs:

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next