Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
 shooter in custody- FL - High school - Broward Couty 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/843658

Not sure if any new details but he was being treated. Which implies drugs.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 things I can see to 'fix' this particular situation.

1. The FBI fucked up. It wasn't investigated properly.
2. As mentioned, armed security/teachers, and reinforced doors.

But, again, who decides who's mentally fit and who's not? If someone says 'I want guns, to protect myself if the gov't becomes tyrannical', then the gov't could then, theoretically, swing by and say 'this guys a nut job, we're not out to take your guns, BTW, give me all your guns, you nut job'.. lol

Just because you have been committed doesn't mean you can't responsibly handle firearms... and just because you haven't been committed doesn't mean you CAN responsibly handle firearms...

But the left...

Just...

Fuck them....

You can't even ask them for a solution.....because that's just part of the problem...

Attachment:
20180216_030357.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Attachment:
20180216_030357.png

I agree with armed security or law enforcement, but not to armed teachers. I've been around too many teachers that can't keep track of their keys, how would I expect them to keep track of a firearm? Or the teacher who will show the class where they keep it and say, 'here it is incase of emergencies.' I can also see teachers using it as a tool of power over students. Have that student who is not getting to work, a quick point to a gun on the hip telling them to be back on task isn't the answer, but I can see someone doing that. I can also see people using a gun as a tool to groom a student, or force a student to do sexual acts. We hear about sexual misconduct taking place between faculty and students, putting a gun into the mix adds more power to someone. How does any of that help kids feel safe if they have their teachers using the gun in a different way than it was intended? One bad report and the whole 'armed teachers' conversation will go down the drain quickly.

I don't care how much training someone gets, there are always going to be people who still won't be comfortable, let alone smart, about how they handle firearms. I would rather someone who is trained security or law enforcement be the one to take on this responsibility. Those folks are generally going to be familiar with guns, and I can see it being a better show of force over little Miss Linden packing heat. Teachers already have enough trainings to do, and things to be responsible for, being responsible for and using a gun shouldn't be one of them.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:52 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Like blaming the airplane for 911....

:facepalm2:

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Attachment:
20180216_030357.png

I agree with armed security or law enforcement, but not to armed teachers. I've been around too many teachers that can't keep track of their keys, how would I expect them to keep track of a firearm? Or the teacher who will show the class where they keep it and say, 'here it is incase of emergencies.' I can also see teachers using it as a tool of power over students. Have that student who is not getting to work, a quick point to a gun on the hip telling them to be back on task isn't the answer, but I can see someone doing that. I can also see people using a gun as a tool to groom a student, or force a student to do sexual acts. We hear about sexual misconduct taking place between faculty and students, putting a gun into the mix adds more power to someone. How does any of that help kids feel safe if they have their teachers using the gun in a different way than it was intended? One bad report and the whole 'armed teachers' conversation will go down the drain quickly.

I don't care how much training someone gets, there are always going to be people who still won't be comfortable, let alone smart, about how they handle firearms. I would rather someone who is trained security or law enforcement be the one to take on this responsibility. Those folks are generally going to be familiar with guns, and I can see it being a better show of force over little Miss Linden packing heat. Teachers already have enough trainings to do, and things to be responsible for, being responsible for and using a gun shouldn't be one of them.

We train pilots, why not teachers? I see pilots and teachers similarly, in the fact that they're responsible for a LOT of lives, and are, supposed to be at least, highly trained and the top tier in their field.

Volunteers, are what are needed..... require extensive background checks... and, of course, statistically speaking, CCW holders are more law abiding than cops... Just saying... If you can pass a S/TS, you should be able to carry. I have friends with TS who can't carry where they work. Literally trusted with information that's critical to the United States, but can't defend themselves with a gun. That's an argument for another day, but how can you trust someone with the FUTURE of this country, essentially deciding how they're raised, what they learn,etc. and not trust them to protect them?

This also then leeches into the inevitable 'what's a good teacher?' discussion.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Militia. Everyone active and involved knows basic firearms handling, knows everyone in the community and know who's 'odd'. The ultimate community resource is the community.

Imagine that - societal issues addressed but community involvement. The militia is supposed to be the backbone of our society.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 am

The background checks miss a fair amount because so many things aren't reported. IF we could get that issue fixed, at least to the point that someone can be looked at without being penalized just because. Secondly seems to be folks on some medications need more scrutiny. Folks on mind altering drugs don't get a gun, or don't get more than a J frame for protection type of deal. We point at that issue every time yet cry about taking away someones rights at the same time. At some point it is all of us or a few of 'them'. Life isn't always fair.
School security simply has to be dealt with. Right now it is about the same as people clubbing baby seals on an ice pack. We load our most precious commodities unprotected in small rooms and advertise the fact. It wouldn't be impossible to walk into an average class room, flip the door lock and kill or wound 20 kids with a baseball bat before help arrived. Having the time to walk down hallways with any multiple round firearm and surplus ammo seems foolish at best. There are teachers that are shooters, hunters, former military. Start with them, add in off duty LEO or military reserves then add in others as needed. School shootings are a thing because the shooter knows it is beyond easy, they will instantly become media famous, they have the power . Even the thought of an armed guard may well stop the trend without a shot being fired.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
teachers....highly trained and the top tier in their field.

:ROFLMAO:

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jdhbulseye wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

"Those who cant teach teach PE.".......Woody Allen

And the Coach was the guy that saved a bunch of kids.

Fill these schools with real men.

My PE teacher and Vice Principal I had in 9th grade when I was living in Hyde Park Boston were both retired Marines.

NOONE screwed with them.

When and if there was an Issue it was fixed IMMEDIATELY and Physically.

The school had a full Hands On Policy.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

WaJim wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

"Those who cant teach teach PE.".......Woody Allen

And the Coach was the guy that saved a bunch of kids.

Fill these schools with real men.

My PE teacher and Vice Principal I had in 9th grade when I was living in Hyde Park Boston were both retired Marines.

NOONE screwed with them.

When and if there was an Issue it was fixed IMMEDIATELY and Physically.

The school had a full Hands On Policy.

That coach was a real hero.

Many of the younger male teachers at my Jr. High were just back from 'Nam.

My math teacher was a gunnery officer, used to tell the class how he could set up a 105 howitzer in the parking lot and hit the school administration building every time (4-5 miles or so). We thought he would do it some day.

One of our PE teachers was a former drill sergeant, used to bring misbehaving kids into his office, bend them over his knee, and beat them in the ass with 'the shoe' in front of the class.
(rediculously large soccer shoe)

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

TechnoWeenie wrote:
BadKarma wrote:
blue92 wrote:
BadKarma wrote:
Age was not an issue. Mental illness was 100% responsible and 100% preventable.

99% on a pipe dream maybe. It will never be completely dealt with. Nor even remotely.

This specific situation could have. Once he started treatment for a mental illness he should have been flagged for not purchasing a firearm.

Where's the line?

Husband loses his wife, he gets talked down from a bridge, then committed. Stays there for a week, starts to work through it, then goes to therapy once a week after that... How long should his right to efficient self defense be abrogated?

If gou go by the involuntary committal rule, he's banned for life....

What about the 18 y/o kid down the street who's catching squirrels and rabbits and torturing them... Tearing wings off of flies.. Etc... Is on 8 different prescription drugs, but acts normal in front of gis therapist who thinks he's mostly normal just a bit weird?

Just like concussion release, medical release, when you are cleared by a medical professional.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

I know, lol..

that's why I said 'supposed to be'..

I've had some bad teachers, and some mediocre teachers, but it only takes 1 AWESOME teacher to make you look forward to going to school.

We need teachers to get kids excited, not rubber stamp them from standardized tests made for the lowest common denominator so the schools can keep funding...

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Just like concussion release, medical release, when you are cleared by a medical professional.

OK, but who makes that initial determination? How does that information get transmitted, and who determines when/why? What precipitates the inquiry?

I had a concussion due to my accident.... I had stuttering, memory loss, decreased cognitive functions (couldn't place objects and names together), sensory sensitivity, etc. should I have been disarmed? 99% of the time I was fine, other than acting like a man with an early case of Alzheimer's... and I felt I was of sound enough mind to carry (trust me, I thought hard about it)...

If so, then how does that happen?

What would have happened if I had armed agents of the gov't knocking on my door demanding they be let in to take my weapons? What if it was a tactical entry team @ 3am because 'they knew I was prohibited and knew I was armed'?

I'm not trying to be combative, just trying to show how things aren't always as simple as they seem. Kinda like the guy registering as a sex offender for life and not being able to be alone with his kids because he took a piss on the side of a highway and got hit with a 'lewd conduct' charge... If there's a way for it to be abused, misused, or misapplied, it will be.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FBI FAIL. Warned and didn't follow protocol. Just announced by the FBI themselves. Police and school also alerted, allegedly did nothing.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
FBI FAIL. Warned and didn't follow protocol. Just announced by the FBI themselves. Police and school also alerted, allegedly did nothing.

Yup.

But you know the dems will claim the FBI is in Trump's pocket and they're saying that so they'll stop talking about guns..

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next