Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
 Good News - Bad News Thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Not sure if this is good or bad, going both ways!
Been keeping ambulances on the road for close to 20 years, an actual rewarding and very satisfying job, and at the end of the day tomorrow will be the last.
Been moving an entire lifetime of tools and equipment home over the past 2 weeks, come Monday a new business will on the paycheck header. Work will be a bit easier and more relaxed, but I will miss the all the items that are needed on an EMS unit, but not having to chase a miles of wiring or trying to find the failure in some node.

Be me, talking to myself : 'Oh, it's crapped out, I need a new KKK controller'

Anyone in earshot : icon_eek ...

For those that don't know, it's part of the NFPA/Federal standards on how ambulance and fire truck lights are supposed to flash...

Both Whelen and Federal Signal made custom KKK approved flashers, but were prone to failure when subject to moisture since they weren't sealed.

No no no!!!!! We do not say it that way anymore, it's trip K or triple K!!!!

:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I learned that after the first few 'WTF?!' looks... especially when explaining directly to customer what was replaced or checking notes. I would keep shorthand notes on my work orders, so if I stopped in the middle of something I'd know where to catch back up the next day, or to get a clearer picture of what I was looking at if I was troubleshooting aka 'did this, did that, this didn't change, this made this do that' etc. Apparently 'KKK OK' drew some attention. :bigsmile: .. I started writing 'flasher'..

Side note, the first one I worked on was from Whelen, and was a System 14 expandable controller with slide in strobe power supply modules. Weirdest thing I'd ever seen. Each power supply was independent, but controlled by one main controller. Late 80s early 90s - and small agency was having issues with it in early 2000s... I ended up replacing it with an ISP188. So glad everything is LED now...

Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[color=#FF4000][/color]
TechnoWeenie wrote:
STED9R wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Been keeping ambulances on the road for close to 20 years, an actual rewarding and very satisfying job, and at the end of the day tomorrow will be the last.
Been moving an entire lifetime of tools and equipment home over the past 2 weeks, come Monday a new business will on the paycheck header. Work will be a bit easier and more relaxed, but I will miss the all the items that are needed on an EMS unit, but not having to chase a miles of wiring or trying to find the failure in some node.

For those that don't know, it's part of the NFPA/Federal standards on how ambulance and fire truck lights are supposed to flash...

Both Whelen and Federal Signal made custom KKK approved flashers, but were prone to failure when subject to moisture since they weren't sealed.

Yeah, I learned that after the first few 'WTF?!' looks... especially when explaining directly to customer what was replaced or checking notes. I would keep shorthand notes on my work orders, so if I stopped in the middle of something I'd know where to catch back up the next day, or to get a clearer picture of what I was looking at if I was troubleshooting aka 'did this, did that, this didn't change, this made this do that' etc. Apparently 'KKK OK' drew some attention. :bigsmile: .. I started writing 'flasher'..

Side note, the first one I worked on was from Whelen, and was a System 14 expandable controller with slide in strobe power supply modules. Weirdest thing I'd ever seen. Each power supply was independent, but controlled by one main controller. Late 80s early 90s - and small agency was having issues with it in early 2000s... I ended up replacing it with an ISP188. So glad everything is LED now...

Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg

The triple K standards apply to every single item on an EMS apparatus, some apply to LE units.
From exhaust tip distance from body surface, cot distance from the jump seat to drive line hoop and LS or locking diff and and......
It's a damned thick book.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
[color=#FF4000][/color]
TechnoWeenie wrote:
STED9R wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
STED9R wrote:

Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg

The triple K standards apply to every single item on an EMS apparatus, some apply to LE units.
From exhaust tip distance from body surface, cot distance from the jump seat to drive line hoop and LS or locking diff and and......
It's a damned thick book.

Yup, but I had to look at it from a narrow perspective as an emergency vehicle upfitter/technician. If it was a power supply or flasher going into an ambulance it was a 'KKK flasher' or 'KKK strobe power supply'. I eventually just started saying 'federal compliant' and that avoided all the questions... until someone who knew just enough to be dangerous asked me why I was complying with 'Federal Signal' requirements when they have all Whelen equipment.. No no no... Federal complaint... KKK standard... which just confused him.... :facepalm2: . I can't count how many times I had to change phrasing on my invoices or conversations so people would understand. I eventually just started using dumb terms like 'light flasher' or 'siren box' then put the part numbers in the details.

'I checked the wiring on the PA300 and got intermittent sound as you reported. I traced the wire to the speaker. Looks like it was chafed at the firewall because they didn't use a grommet and was shorting out, so I replaced the wire and put a grommet there to prevent it from chafing in the future. I also noticed there was no strain relief on the molex connector which can damage the wires over time since they're too tight, so I redid some of the wiring to make sure there's enough to service it in the future and so it won't get pulled out if you hit a bump.'

*blank stare from customer* icon_eek

'I fixed your siren box, it'll make woowoo sounds now'

*Oh, ok, sounds good*

:bigsmile:

I'm sure you know the drill if you ever had to face customers.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Good news: I’ve let this thread live even though it’s not needed

Bad news: I’ll probably change my mind soon

Really? 158 pages later. :bigsmile:

Good: I'm in HI at the Wikakii Hilton for "work" for almost two weeks. Going cage-free shark diving on Saturday.

Bad: Between having pets (pet sitting fees are insane too) and crazy expensive airfare so the the wife couldn't come with me.

Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news: Taxes completed!

Bad news: "Dear Pablo Amsoilguy Strifolopsolist, Your Federal return was rejected."

Bad news: Sent another........$2700...........

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:

Bad news: "Dear Pablo Amsoilguy Strifolopsolist, Your Federal return was rejected."

Hey

People in Ukraine gotta eat, illegal immigrants gotta get to sanctuary cities, and someone's gotta cover all the Depends for the resident in chief

Liberalism doesn't grow on trees

Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Hey

People in Ukraine gotta eat, illegal immigrants gotta get to sanctuary cities, and someone's gotta cover all the Depends for the resident in chief

Liberalism doesn't grow on trees

Where's the bad news in that?? :ROFLMAO:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good: Doing cage-free shark swim tomorrow/Saturday.

Bad: Google said 13 hours since the last time I used it was for a local trip walking. Took a while to convert it back to car option.

Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

Good: I'm in HI at the Wikakii Hilton for "work" for almost two weeks. Going cage-free shark diving on Saturday.

Bad: Between having pets (pet sitting fees are insane too) and crazy expensive airfare so the the wife couldn't come with me.

Does this mean the wife is pulling for the sharks? :wink05:

Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

Does this mean the wife is pulling for the sharks? :wink05:

if he doesn't have a tan then ya

Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

Bad: Google said 13 hours since the last time I used it was for a local trip walking. Took a while to convert it back to car option.

They may be cage free, but unless they're organic free range sharks they won't taste much better

Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

They may be cage-free, but unless they're organic free-range sharks they won't taste much better

Due to physical/mental/work situations, I might have to bow out. The Saturday trip got canceled due to bad weather.
But on the gastronomic side, how many of you have eaten shark? (shark fin soup doesn't count)
10X better than swordfish, and at the time it also cost 2-3X less.

Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

They may be cage-free, but unless they're organic free-range sharks they won't taste much better

Due to physical/mental/work situations, I might have to bow out. The Saturday trip got canceled due to bad weather.
But on the gastronomic side, how many of you have eaten shark? (shark fin soup doesn't count)

sorry to hear trip canceled. was it in Haleiwa? last time i knew at least 3 companies up there

I have had both, shark and swordfish. its hard to describe taste wise slightly meaty and a little grit wise but not fishy and flakes like a salmon would. But ya in the 90's swordfish was expensive. Every now and then my uncle would catch a swordfish and parts of it would be sun dried into jerky,, oh damn good stuff. I imagine shark prices are insane now

Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

sorry to hear trip canceled. was it in Haleiwa? last time i knew at least 3 companies up there

I have had both, shark and swordfish. its hard to describe taste wise slightly meaty and a little grit wise but not fishy and flakes like a salmon would. But ya in the 90's swordfish was expensive. Every now and then my uncle would catch a swordfish and parts of it would be sun dried into jerky,, oh damn good stuff. I imagine shark prices are insane now

Chis you lost me with the thought of any fish being jerked. Shark prices are now non-existent because I think it is now illegal like AR's in WA. (sorry, too soon?) :bigsmile:

Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good:

"Gun rights advocates in Oregon are celebrating a major victory after a statewide ban on high-capacity magazines was thrown out by the courts. Measure 114 which stems from the case of Arnold versus Kotek has been upheld by the Oregon Court of Appeals, maintaining the block on the controversial law. Attorney Anthony Miranda, in a recent YouTube video, provided an in-depth analysis of this groundbreaking decision."

Bad:
"In the shadow of contentious national debates and increasing public demand for action, Colorado’s House of Representatives has taken a bold step, passing a landmark bill to ban semi-automatic rifles."

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 2374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next