Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Senate Filibuster - Time to End the 60 Vote Threshold? 

Eliminate the Senate 60 Vote Threshold for Cloture
Yes 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 14

Senate Filibuster - Time to End the 60 Vote Threshold? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
No, if anything raise it from 2/3 to 3/4. Also change SCOTUS from majority to 2/3 or 3/4 - no decision means unconstitutional. More gridlock is better.

Is this the unpopular opinion thread?

That’s not an unpopular opinion with this guy. The whole structure of our government is slow, methodical change that everyone can agree upon. Not ramming things down people’s throats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get rid of the filibuster, all changes require 3/4 majority.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:25 pm

This is definitely one of those slippery slope, careful what you wish for situations. I can't recall how many times I'd see someone say Obama should been given more power to do what he wanted. But they didn't have any forethought to realize that he wouldn't be in office forever and eventually the other side would have the same power.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SPLATT wrote:
This is definitely one of those slippery slope, careful what you wish for situations. I can't recall how many times I'd see someone say Obama should been given more power to do what he wanted. But they didn't have any forethought to realize that he wouldn't be in office forever and eventually the other side would have the same power.

Obama cut his own throat.

His refusal to even listen to people of either party on the healthcare legislation doomed him, and his legacy.

After that ramming down the throat, he couldn't even get much democratic support in Congress for things.

That's why so many of his plans were issued by Executive Order. He thought that would be fine, since Clinton would be in office.

But, since she's not, most of the things he did can be undone by Executive order as well.

He thought he was smarter than everyone, and got hoisted on his own petard (ego).....

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any change to any of the suggestions mentioned above would either require a Constitutional amendment or you'd be relying on the party currently in power to abide by the rule and to not change it at their whim.

Who here trusts the Democrats to do that after Harry Reid already violated it?

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2