Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 THIS is Why I Always, Always, Have a Gun on my Person 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://q13fox.com/2018/01/17/jennifer-a ... pe-murder/

random acts of violence... unlocked doors...

I know some of you think that life is pretty secure. But this kind of shit has touched my life more than once and it lurks closer than you think. This poor woman was picked at random. Be armed, aware and for Christ's sake, LOCK your doors; even when you are home.

I have a pistol on the back of the toilet when I shower....I have a loaded functioning weapon on me while I clean another. Did I ever tell you about the time I was cleaning my GLOCK and a fugitive from LE walked through my unlocked front door into my apartment to hide? All I was holding was a gun FRAME. Fortunately in his haste all he perceived was "GUN" and turned around only to walk into the arms of the officer he was trying to elude.

This guy in the news story is going to play the insanity plea, for sure, but I think from the comments he made it is pretty clear that he is just and uncaring psychopath who planned to do harm to someone...anyone.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good point about the doors......I have been trying to drive this home to my family and it is slowly taking hold, but I still find unlocked doors on occasion.

I have read that the majority of break ins occur trough unlocked doors and or windows. Be vigilant people!

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this. I'll be sure to have the wife look.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I'll be sure to have the wife look.

Show this to her, too:

http://komonews.com/news/local/recogniz ... ment-twice

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My brother was shot in his townhouse, with his own gun, because he left the back door open for his cats and left his gun out. Thankfully, his gun was a .22 and had the snake and rodent rounds loaded. So he could fend off animals tempted by the open door. He's fine now, but has a security system.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When my wife and I first go married it was pulling teeth to get her to lock the doors. She was raised in an uppity area where crime was minimal and often didn't lock their doors even at night. Now everything is buttoned up tight, and I have sensors on each window and door that ding with different sounds when they are opened and closed.

You can never be to cautious.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prime candidate for capital punishment. We need to clean the dna pool.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Prime candidate for capital punishment. We need to clean the dna pool.

got that right.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I seen the thread title, I though you were resolving rebate issues!

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I first leaved Venezuela it took me some effort to make my family believe I was living a house with no reinforced steel fences on the windows.
Even worst to believe this stories about people not locking their homes or their cars.

Just throwing some diverse perspective here.

EDIT: example apartment building in 3rd world with fences on windows even in the upper floors http://cdn.resize.flexmls.com/ven/640x4 ... 0000-o.jpg EDIT2: bonus, air conditioners also have a steel cage. Even in upper floors.

Last edited by jorgeu on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Armed women like this one usually live.
http://komonews.com/news/local/police-b ... -homeowner

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About the only place I don’t carry are the shower and bed. I’m the shower the gun is under the towel on the counter, and when I’m in bed it’s on the nightstand.

If your a bad guy who enters my house, please do so before 2200 local. I really don’t want the cops showing up and having to answer the door in my birthday suit with your corpse on the floor. It’ll be a little awkward...

The door you kicked in.... it wasn’t there to protect me from you. It was there to protect you from me.

Last edited by Soldier_Citizen on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a little CZ with 9mmMak sitting right here. For accurate work. If I need a little wider shot placement got the G20L with max loads as back up.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personal safety is the #1 priority. I don't understand why folks don't seem to understand that. A door lock is probably free (already on the door) and takes 1 second. And can literally save your life. In fact, it's more than just saving your life (or the lives of loved ones), because the TYPE of torture or violence or death imposed upon you as a home-invasion victim would be at minimal psychologically very harmful; and worse, it's not uncommon to be beaten, raped or gang raped, or murdered very brutally (beat to death, stabbed to death, driven somewhere and held hostage, burned alive, etc.).

One of the absolute worst examples was in CT. If you aren't aware of this you should be. In short, two convicts followed a pretty mom and one or both daughters home to their upscale house. They waited for an opportunity and snuck in at night through an unlocked window. They found the dad asleep on the couch and beat him to death (they thought he was dead). Then they raped the 3 females. They took mom to get $15000 from the bank. They returned. The father had survived and crawled to a neighbors for help. Meanwhile, after raping some/all of the 3 females, while they were presumably still alive, the 2 cons set the house afire and burned them alive. The two stole the family car in their escape, but were quickly caught, prosecuted and convicted for murder, rapes, arson, kidnapping, etc. and are serving life in prison (death penalties commuted to life w/out parole).

All because of an unlocked door or window (and no other security like a dog) - and probably compounded by nobody having a self defense weapon readily available.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/05/che ... on_murders

Locked doors are obviously a no-brainer. If you're not smart enough to lock your dam* door, well then I guess you failed at life. Who is so naive to think they don't have to lock their doors? I've had to drive this point home to a few people, who probably never even considered how critical it is.

A door lock is easy to defeat, of course, but it's a start of layered security. It keeps honest people out, and criminals have to force his/her way in. That does a few things:

* Noise - alerting homeowner or witnesses or dogs
* Trail of evidence of forced entry, supporting any self defense claim. Just watched a vid yesterday of a man with a machete attempting a forced entry. Even a flimsy door required about 3 good kicks before the attacker gained entry. That required a lot of noise and energy, and the home-owner was shouting (you could hear on film) that he had a gun and would use it. Sure enough, after mr. machete kicked his way in he was dropped by the homeowner.
* Forensics (glass particles, blood from injury, shoe prints, etc.)
* Injury to burglar possible

I have layers of security, and have a gun at arms reach in every room or on my person at all times, cameras, dogs, multiple locks, windows and doors braced, etc.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leadcouncil and I have a similar security awareness. As we've both emphasized in past posts, 3 layers of home security at a minimum.
The more it's preached, the more people will listen, and the likelihood of cases such as this subject post or the Ted Bundy's in the world will occur.
It's pretty simple in it's minimalist form;
Closed gates
Locked doors
Security cameras (notifying your phone if at work)
Dogs (if you're tolerant of companions)
Firearms

An armed society is a polite society.
Locks were meant to keep people honest.
And most importantly, trust no one, the devil was once an angel. :runforthehills:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next