Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sticky worth? Canada travel requirements 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ALERT: New Canada law, just 10 days old. Passed Jan 2018.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html

Quote:
Notification of Canadian International Trade Tribunal Decision on Centrifugal Opening Knives
Customs Notice 18-01
Ottawa, January 5, 2018

Revised date – Ottawa, January 10, 2018

1. This Notice is to advise interested parties that the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) has rendered a decision in Appeal No. AP-2017-012, T. LaPlante v. President of the Canada Border Services Agency regarding knives which open automatically by centrifugal force (centrifugal knives).

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.
3. Please be advised that the CBSA will immediately prohibit the importation of all knives by an individual that open as per the CITT's decision. Importation by a business is permitted if a Firearms Business Licence has been presented with import – prohibited weapon, listed as a business activity on the licence. For more detailed information concerning the decision, please consult the decision posted on the Tribunal's website at: CITT Appeal No. AP-2017-012.

4. The CBSA’s policy on the importation of prohibited weapons is available in Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices. The Memoranda D19-13-2 will be revised to reflect the CITT decision on centrifugal opening knives.

This law would ban most of our daily carry knives which open with a flick of the wrist.

I don't know anything more about Canada knife laws but I wonder if fixed blades and/or manually operated folding knives are legal and, if so, what length?

Also, it's worth noting, that Canada will also ban entry of anyone with a DUI conviction less than 10 years old. I don't know the specifics but if you have a recent DUI be aware of complications.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, sticky worth.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might as well add that PASSPORTS are required to enter Canada and back to the USA.
Might seem like a DUH :facepalm2: moment but info always helps.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Might as well add that PASSPORTS are required to enter Canada and back to the USA.

not if you have the enhanced Driver's License.....just saying :thumbsup2:

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was recently researching Canadian knife laws. There ae knife forums that have some good info, with posted regs from Canada.

The gist was 'any' assist knives, asps, etc., are illegal.

They don't seem to care about knife length, just no switchblades, balisongs, etc., and now apparently even gravity assist.

What's scary is, their regs seem to be written for easy prosecution, where the prosecutor can Infer what your intent was and prosecute based on that.

I would never say to them I'm carrying a knife for personal defense.

One of the things they can infer is an intent to disrupt public safety, or something like that, and they can decide that carrying a knife for self-defense is an intent to disrupt public safety icon_eek

How that is their conclusion is beyond me.

I know it sounds strange, but at least it's not as bad as England.

Anyway, if carrying a knife, have some duct tape in your backpack, so you can say that's why you were carrying it. Or maybe have a personal first aid kit & say it's to cut bandages, ......

I don't know, but being allowed to infer intent is nearly as scary to me as the potential threat....

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
AR15L wrote:

Passport is now cheaper, and if you take an Alaska cruise the e-licence is not accepted.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
AR15L wrote:

I think that's true if driving or on a local boat like a ferry or the clipper. Air travel requires a passport.
Don't try to enter with a DUI either.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

The gist was 'any' assist knives, asps, etc., are illegal.

Some of my knives are all spring assisted but none are able to be opened by gravity or centrifugal force. They all require action on the blade, ie. kershaws... that fine?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*don't* trigger the drug-sniffing dogs, whether entering on boats, or by car...
I've heard horror stories of agent suspicion triggering an invasive vehicle search, and they don't put back anything they remove in the search.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ccontrol wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:
AR15L wrote:

I think that's true if driving or on a local boat like a ferry or the clipper. Air travel requires a passport.
Don't try to enter with a DUI either.

Unless they've changed recently, passport or eid is required on both boat and train.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:56 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:
AR15L wrote:

Passport is now cheaper, and if you take an Alaska cruise the e-licence is not accepted.
But passports don't fit in my wallet. LOL

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
ALERT: New Canada law, just 10 days old. Passed Jan 2018.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html

Quote:
Notification of Canadian International Trade Tribunal Decision on Centrifugal Opening Knives
Customs Notice 18-01
Ottawa, January 5, 2018

Revised date – Ottawa, January 10, 2018

1. This Notice is to advise interested parties that the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) has rendered a decision in Appeal No. AP-2017-012, T. LaPlante v. President of the Canada Border Services Agency regarding knives which open automatically by centrifugal force (centrifugal knives).

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.
3. Please be advised that the CBSA will immediately prohibit the importation of all knives by an individual that open as per the CITT's decision. Importation by a business is permitted if a Firearms Business Licence has been presented with import – prohibited weapon, listed as a business activity on the licence. For more detailed information concerning the decision, please consult the decision posted on the Tribunal's website at: CITT Appeal No. AP-2017-012.

4. The CBSA’s policy on the importation of prohibited weapons is available in Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices. The Memoranda D19-13-2 will be revised to reflect the CITT decision on centrifugal opening knives.

This law would ban most of our daily carry knives which open with a flick of the wrist.

I don't know anything more about Canada knife laws but I wonder if fixed blades and/or manually operated folding knives are legal and, if so, what length?

Also, it's worth noting, that Canada will also ban entry of anyone with a DUI conviction less than 10 years old. I don't know the specifics but if you have a recent DUI be aware of complications.

This does not sound any worse than WAs knife laws. Technically any Benchmade AXIS can be read as an illegal knife under our state laws.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:06 pm

quantsuff wrote:
I've heard horror stories of agent suspicion triggering an invasive vehicle search, and they don't put back anything they remove in the search.

seen it a few times. they'll remove all the seats, pull up the carpet and dump all your luggage on the pavement. and if they find nothing, they'll just walk away leaving you with the mess.

US Constitution: VOID where prohibited by law.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sigman226 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:
AR15L wrote:

But passports don't fit in my wallet. LOL

Uh, yes they do. The passport "card".
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... /card.html

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HK_Dave wrote:
quantsuff wrote:

seen it a few times. they'll remove all the seats, pull up the carpet and dump all your luggage on the pavement. and if they find nothing, they'll just walk away leaving you with the mess.

I've read online accounts (take it for what it's worth) of Canada border agents spotting a single spent shell casing in vehicle, and thereafter detaining the occupants and tossing the entire vehicle and contents.

So be aware - legend or lore or truth - do NOT have any spent range brass in your car.

Reminded me of a time driving through a military base check and I had some stray ammo in my cup holder! icon_eek

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next