Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Shenanigans at the Capitol Forest Pits 

I am a frequent user of the Upper and Lower pits in Capitol Forest and have witnessed first hand of the decline of these once awesome public shooting areas. Keyword : "PUBLIC". These area's have become polluted, over crowded, and extremely unsafe and its come to the point where it is giving 2A supporters a bad name in Western WA. Some things I have noticed:

1) People bringing stupid targets. Me and my group rolled up to the lower pit and we saw another group walking into the pit with rifles, ACH's and 4 large propane tanks. We didn't even get out of the car we just went home. Glass Bottles, Grills, Car Hoods and Doors, Aerosol Paint Cans, you name it, its up there. Invest money in same actual targets and stop being cheap. Homemade Unrated Steel Targets are NOT a good idea, especially at 10 yards.

2)Brass and Trash Cleanup. It's annoying I don't like doing it either, but if everyone were to pick up 50% of their trash and brass after they shoot the pits would look so much better.

3)Tannerite. Pretty sure its banned on public land anyway, but if you're going to use it, warn the rest of the shooters, Don't put it inside something that can fragment, and put it further then 10 yards.

4)Inconsiderate setup in regards to other shooters. Leave room for other people to shoot in an enjoyable manner. Don't setup targets to the far left of the range if your spot on the firing line is on the far right. Don't stand 10 yards forward of every one on the firing line and this one is a HUGE problem at the lower pit: DON'T SHOOT FROM INSIDE THE WOOD LINE. PEOPLE HAVE TO WALK IN FRONT OF YOUR MUZZLE TO WALK ACROSS THE RANGE AND ITS HARD TO SEE YOU'RE SHOOTING IF YOU'RE 10 YARDS INTO THE WOODS.

5) Shooting other peoples targets. I have this problem a lot because I use professionally made steel. If you didn't put it down range, chances are someone else did. Especially if it looks professionally made. Its so frustrating hearing my steel ping when I'm not even holding my firearm. And when I look down range I see the one idiot shooting my target, then looking up and down the firing line to see if I noticed. Yes, idiot....I noticed. And when confronted the excuse "I thought it was there for everyone to shoot" just makes you look dumber.

6) Instructor Led Classes? I can't believe I'm typing this, but yes, there are apparently instructor led classes at the pits. And its cool if you want to train firearms at the pit, I do as well. But to block off the entire public range from sun up to sundown on a weekend to conduct your classes is just well...a douche move. IMO, if you had any shred of credibility as an instructor, you would reserve an actual range conduct it in, especially if you're blocking off a 125 yard range to shoot 10 meter targets.

Just a rant I guess, but I've seen many long time shooting enthusiasts and friends disappear from the pits because of the mentioned incidents and many more, and I worry that it will be closed down due to pollution and how unsafe it has become. Just be responsible, and be safe and let's make the Pit's fun to shoot at again.

Last edited by bjesin223 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:15 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

As an Olympia resident and one who used to frequent those pits..... AMEN!

Great first post on WaGuns!

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:40 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

From a guy that used to shoot regularly at a pit in Rainier (I'd get there at dawn and leave before ten.) each year that goes by I'm amazed that no one has sustained a GSW or shrapnel injuries at these places.

Last Pit Shoot I attended a buddy of mine (X wagunner) was 50 yrds down range stetting up targets and a member from here unloaded a full 20rd mag from his AK. I felt like shit because I actually brought the guy that fired the AK.....Why there wasn't a full on asskicking still amazes me.

I was done with pits then.

One of these days its gonna go bad,,,,,real bad and all these places will close.

You guys that frequent these pits need to be REAL Vocal on safety...and be 'THAT GUY' that sets the rules of firing line...Hot Range/Cold Range commands need to be enforced.

I'm not saying be a Range Nazi controlling targets they bring or getting them to clean up after themselves but just the safety factor.

Trust me, most of these guys/gals will embrace your ideas when one seems to want to step up.

You may save someone from a real bad day.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 am

Absolutely WaJim, I used to frequent the rainier pit as well but it just became too much. My group normally ends up taking control of the range with simple Hot and Cold commands but at the Rainer pit it didn't seem yo matter. One time we called it cold at the Rainer pit and we walked down range at the far right side of the pit where it stretches to 100 yards, and a guy hiding on top of the berm behind us popped off his bolt action over our heads. Another time these guys brought these two girls and handed one of the girls an AK. She couldn't control her rapid fire and began to spray rounds down the left axis of the firing line. Naturally, we find out later they were drinking beer the entire time.

I'm glad people agree with me. I really think it's become a problem.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just reading that both makes my blood boil and tinkle a little bit, because someone will get hurt. Idiots!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stories like this solidify my reasons to go to a range. Plus I feel money spent at a range helps keep a range open. If they close then we are left with having to use pits. With more people garbage would increase and just like the fishing around here, would become combat shooting.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My steel Target is unrated. Sorry.
I sure as fuck ain't shooting it at 10 yards. With anything.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amen, but this is an education issue and people can be educated.

This conversation is a good one for all new shooters to realize the error in their ways if they do this sort of behavior.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Larch Mtn is also notorious for shenanigans. I've only gone there twice. On both of those excursions, I stuck around long enough to empty a single magazine. The second, final time I was there, I witnessed somebody with a modified AR-15 and AK of questionable legality blasting away carelessly, causing all kinds of ricochets, and shooting across the fire paths of other shooters at the pit. I looked on, shook my head, packed my shit and left in hurry. A week later, I joined the Wolverton Mtn Gun Club in Ariel, WA. I've taken some WaGunners up there.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is why I go to pits that are secluded and rarely used....

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:

This! Seems every year I have to further up though.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Target shot up...... ( by a wagunner no less ) Check. Don't worry.. I have been avoiding you like the plague, otherwise the next time you shoot up FOUR targets before i get a shot off..... you're gonna wear them.

Unsafe setup on firing line.... ( Wagunners... twice. ) Check. One time, the back of the vehicles was the firing line. You had to walk in front of the vehicles to move along the firing line. This was bullshit.

But as the OP said..... Stupid is everywhere.

Bullseye? That place is out of control. Cowboys love that place. Twice gone. Never again.
Marksman? Many of you all have complained about the rules. I like it, Right or wrong, I feel safer there.

Evergreen @ New Years? It's loud, it's crowded, and it's as safe as possible. They have accomplished this, while allowing some latitude on targets. ( one year, it was a bunch of milk jugs for me )
Tacoma Sportsmen club, seems to be well run as well.

Lately, I been dreaming of buying some land for a personal shooting range.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Yeah leadcounsel and that's why I thought I would get the conversation going. The younger crowd going to public shooting areas and even ranges are enthusiastic but a little quick on the trigger, no pun intended. Myself and my shooting group are young but we take safety and courtesy very seriously and do a good job of policing each other up. You make a good point about firearm education, and that can be something as little as just a kind safety tip at the range.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:44 pm

You really have to go up to each group shooting and say hey let's go cold i n a few minutes to go check targets, nobody touch guns, till someone yells all clear. If someone is messing with a gun call them out.

You guys that have caught some of us doing dumb shit,send me names in a pm.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:

X2. I don't shoot with other people unless its at my local range. PERIOD. I wont go to a "local pit" just for my own safety. If we shoot anywhere besides the local range then its on private property or deep in the woods at one of our discrete locations that the public isn't aware of.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next