Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 FCC votes to repeal Obama-era net neutrality regulations 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Selador wrote:
I have three options.

• Dialup, which I don't even know if it is available any more.
• DSL at 80 dollars a month.
• 3G, (not even 4G here), at a startup cost in the hundreds. Extremely unreliable. Throttled to 2 gigabytes per month. And a cost higher than the DSL.

Yeah... We all have lots of options. :blackcloud1:

And the ISPs all want to give us plenty more 'options'...

So it was throttled during the reign of "net neutrality"?

Well hope you get some competition now.

They have already been talking about bringing fiber out this far. (Even during 'net neutrality'.)

No idea how many decades it will be before cable is out this far.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Selador wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Selador wrote:
I have three options.

• 3G, (not even 4G here), at a startup cost in the hundreds. Extremely unreliable. Throttled to 2 gigabytes per month. And a cost higher than the DSL.

They have already been talking about bringing fiber out this far. (Even during 'net neutrality'.)

You should move.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
You should move.

Where the hell is Index anyway? :rofl9: :ROFLMAO: :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Selador wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Selador wrote:
I have three options.

You should move.

HA!

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Pablo wrote:
BadKarma wrote:
You should move.

Where the hell is Index anyway? :rofl9: :ROFLMAO: :bigsmile:

I heard they have a cemetery there.

Join the NRA

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Obama wanted to make the internet a "mandatory utility" which will ultimately lead to the internet equivalent of food stamps. My tax dollars to lazy ***** to sit around and watch netflix on their tax payer funded smart phones. That's what this boils down to. Bigger government, more control.

This was a party-line vote under Obama and again now.

Conservatives are against it.
Liberals are for it.

These folks are way more dialed into the issue than I am, so I simply defer to the Conservatives on any party-line vote. They are usually for small government and free market. And so am I.

If it becomes a monopoly issue the government has broken up monopolies in the past, and it's eyeing the Time/Fox deal now. It's also eyeing Google. I'm confident in the trust busting actions of the government - one thing we do need it for.

Companies may try to gouge and when that happens, others will step in and crush them with better/cheaper options. Competition is good.

The two things that drive innovation and better/cheaper products are competition and war. Government does almost nothing to drive innovation. Government stifles innovation.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:34 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

It took me awhile to even understand this subject. (Probably still have a lot to learn too.)
On the surface only, Net Neutrality looks like a slam dunk good idea. It prevents ISPs from throttling any stream of data.
I heard on the radio that it was touted as .Gov trying to be ahead of the curve, rather than reactionary.
I don't think that I want my .Gov crafting laws that have not been shown to be necessary.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ITT: Non tech people thinking they understand the internet.

OBURMER WANTED IT SO ITS BAD! (Bush is now Obama. Got it.)

REGULATIONZ R BAD CUZ CORPERATES WILL DO RITE! CUZ MONEY! (Comcast always goes with the best ideas.)

Internet access should be a basic human right at this point. Call me crazy for thinking it falls in the category of Food, Liberty, Water. Why? You just can not exist in a modern world without internet access. Without FAIR and Free (Not as in beer) internet, you will fall by the wayside as society passes you by.

Try learning, try working, try just interacting with people without the internet. It just isn't something you can do these days.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:

REGULATIONZ R BAD CUZ CORPERATES WILL DO RITE! CUZ MONEY! (Comcast always goes with the best ideas.)

Internet access should be a basic human right at this point. Call me crazy for thinking it falls in the category of Food, Liberty, Water. Why? You just can not exist in a modern world without internet access. Without FAIR and Free (Not as in beer) internet, you will fall by the wayside as society passes you by.

Try learning, try working, try just interacting with people without the internet. It just isn't something you can do these days.

Since when are food and water rights?

For those in rural communities, Title 2 was hurting you as it forced smaller, rural ISPs to meet all the requirements of larger, urban ISPs. Title 2 inhibited the spread of faster net outside of cities.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Internet is not a right, it is a paid for service. Health insurance is not a right. I would prefer the government to stay out of it. All of it.

Join the NRA

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:

None of that is really a good argument for gov regulation. So, without "net neutrality" Internet goes bye-bye?

Check back in with hard evidence. Then we maybe WE could pass a law, you know, a real law, not a rule or mandate.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh8sVHb5oOA

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:14 am

root wrote:

Yeah no. Internet doesn't need to be free. You can interact with people without internet, it's called go see people or call them on the phone. People have been doing it forever, I know it's a crazy concept but it's true. Lots of people don't need internet for work and when they do the computer and internet are at their place of work. Books are still at this place called a library, tons of learning can happen there.

Maybe we should all get free cars since having to walk or take the bus puts a serious hamstring in people's ability to see the world too Right? How about free housing since some people live in trailers?

I'm so sick of helping everyone out, we shouldn't have to pay for everyone to be on the same level, it's not my problem. Should millionaires and billionaires give me a million dollars because they have more opportunities to be successful? No but I'd love it, but I get by in life just fine with what I'm able to provide myself.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 am

Wow.... some of these arguments.... "ALL .gov is bad so there for it should be thrown out"... "Barry put it in place so it has to be bad"...."Why do people think they are entitled to free internet --- just like healthcare"..... Any argument to say regulating something is bad??? Basically just rabble rousing there....

NN was NOT about FREE internet.... it was about no one controlling/restricting/charging more for what ever data is passed over the internet (think freedom of speech and pursuit of liberty here...). It was actually forward thinking at the time by people that knew how the internet could be structured and monetized by those that control the access points and lines. Look at who is pushing for this --- the ISPs - and they are using the excuse that 'we can't expand and improve the infrastructure - because it is NOT commercially feasible - with regulation in place' ----- thats basically an ultimatum and blackmail. Ask yourself how does it suddenly become more feasible once the regulation is gone? BY BEING ABLE TO CHARGE MORE FOR EXISTING LEVELS OF SERVICE. They can't do that when ALL 'data' has to be treated the same. They were able to upcharge for speed boosts, but the field has leveled pretty well in that area (ignoring rural area problems). I'm surprised that the ISPs didn't start charging for data teirs like the cell phone companies --- that would have made a lot more sense to me.
Now they will be free to charge for 'site access' --- pretty much like premium channels on cable --- how much more are you willing to pay ON TOP of your netflix/amazon/hulu monthly fees? They are going to find out.... Advertising? ISPs can't do much of that now, but I bet there will be a model just like gooleplay where 'its free if you put up with the ads WE think YOU will like'. ISPs have been getting no cut of this huge piece of $$$ pie.

Think back in the not to distant past about what happened after the banking deregulation of the '90s.... What happened there? I seem to recall creditcard rates of 6-8-10% with no fees --- haven't seen that forever - they quickly jacked rates up to 18+% - and savings interest rates basically dropped to zero -- that was good for the consumers.... right? And the mortgage mess that followed after the deregulation.... didn't the banks say "Don't worry, WE will regulate OURSELVES"? Yeah, that worked out well for us as a whole, didn't it?

History repeating itself yet again I'm afraid....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Wow.... some of these arguments.... "ALL .gov is bad so there for it should be thrown out"... "Barry put it in place so it has to be bad"...."Why do people think they are entitled to free internet --- just like healthcare"..... Any argument to say regulating something is bad??? Basically just rabble rousing there....

NN was NOT about FREE internet.... it was about no one controlling/restricting/charging more for what ever data is passed over the internet (think freedom of speech and pursuit of liberty here...). It was actually forward thinking at the time by people that knew how the internet could be structured and monetized by those that control the access points and lines. Look at who is pushing for this --- the ISPs - and they are using the excuse that 'we can't expand and improve the infrastructure - because it is NOT commercially feasible - with regulation in place' ----- thats basically an ultimatum and blackmail. Ask yourself how does it suddenly become more feasible once the regulation is gone? BY BEING ABLE TO CHARGE MORE FOR EXISTING LEVELS OF SERVICE. They can't do that when ALL 'data' has to be treated the same. They were able to upcharge for speed boosts, but the field has leveled pretty well in that area (ignoring rural area problems). I'm surprised that the ISPs didn't start charging for data teirs like the cell phone companies --- that would have made a lot more sense to me.
Now they will be free to charge for 'site access' --- pretty much like premium channels on cable --- how much more are you willing to pay ON TOP of your netflix/amazon/hulu monthly fees? They are going to find out.... Advertising? ISPs can't do much of that now, but I bet there will be a model just like gooleplay where 'its free if you put up with the ads WE think YOU will like'. ISPs have been getting no cut of this huge piece of $$$ pie.

Think back in the not to distant past about what happened after the banking deregulation of the '90s.... What happened there? I seem to recall creditcard rates of 6-8-10% with no fees --- haven't seen that forever - they quickly jacked rates up to 18+% - and savings interest rates basically dropped to zero -- that was good for the consumers.... right? And the mortgage mess that followed after the deregulation.... didn't the banks say "Don't worry, WE will regulate OURSELVES"? Yeah, that worked out well for us as a whole, didn't it?

History repeating itself yet again I'm afraid....

Image Image Image

Do justice. Love mercy.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next