Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:58 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 FCC votes to repeal Obama-era net neutrality regulations 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:
I don't know why so many small government people think this issue needs to be addressed by government regulation, especially now that there is intense competition among service providers.

Because there is virtually no competition between isps currently.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
sreyemj wrote:
I don't know why so many small government people think this issue needs to be addressed by government regulation, especially now that there is intense competition among service providers.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fcc-votes-to-make-internet-harder-for-poor-people-to-access
"Over 56 million American households have no choice in internet service providers in their area, leaving them potentially tethered to an artificially slow internet under the new rules."

The actual blame here is corrupt local URBAN LFAs, also known as Local Franchise Authorities and most of which are run by liberals and most of which grant local monopolies to Internet companies. Ever wonder why most of the Puget Sound only has Comcast and Ceturylink?

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Hi sir, this is Angie with Comcast. Our records show that you've watched 2GB worth of Netflix last month, this is .5GB over the 1.5GB monthly threshold for your Basic Cable Internet package. But don't worry, if you go over next month you will be automatically upgraded to our Any-Movie-Anywhere Freedom package for an additional $49.99 per month. Or, you can sign up for our Xfinity movie service for a lower price of $29.99 per month... and we'll give you one month free!"

:trainwreck:

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The obvious solution to that is federal legislation to ban monopolies granted by LFAs.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:25 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Comcast does now offer free Netflix to subscribers with premium packages through their cable boxes.

But it's slower than shit and limited to 720P

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:31 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

zombie66 wrote:
So is this a good or bad thing?

Welp, You don't have to know a thing about Net Neutrality other than Barry O wanted it to know it was no frikken good.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm

WaJim wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

Welp, You don't have to know a thing about Net Neutrality other than Barry O wanted it to know it was no frikken good.

I think it was actually a good thing to put in place even tho at the time there didn't seem to be a compelling reason for it - some actual forward thinking on the part of .gov. Now that it is repealed, just wait to see how the ISPs are going to creatively gouge the hell out of our wallets more than they already are --- Net Neutrality has basically kept them in check --- now the doors are wide open for them decide what their pricing schemes should be to make up for all the losses they've incurred due the cord cutters. "We Won't change our pricing structure"..... yeah, bullshit. Wait to see what the cell phone companies do too... "unlimited data" ---- lets change the definition of 'data' and start using the term 'media'....

Just wait and watch it all unfold.... if it weren't such a big deal, why have they been pushing so hard to get it repealed?

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So Wave will suddenly start throttling?

Why, just to piss people off? Stupid. They won't.

Comcast and the others - yeah sometimes they are idiots. Didn't need net neutrality for that.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
So Wave will suddenly start throttling?

Why, just to piss people off? Stupid. They won't.

Comcast and the others - yeah sometimes they are idiots. Didn't need net neutrality for that.

To make money. Comcast already pisses people off all the time lol

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm

os2firefox wrote:
sreyemj wrote:

Really? Seems like I have a bunch of wired and wireless options.

Hard to believe government regulation is going to make anything better, especially if they decide "fake news" sites don't need to be included in neutrality.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
WaJim wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

I think it was actually a good thing to put in place even tho at the time there didn't seem to be a compelling reason for it - some actual forward thinking on the part of .gov. Now that it is repealed, just wait to see how the ISPs are going to creatively gouge the hell out of our wallets more than they already are --- Net Neutrality has basically kept them in check --- now the doors are wide open for them decide what their pricing schemes should be to make up for all the losses they've incurred due the cord cutters. "We Won't change our pricing structure"..... yeah, bullshit. Wait to see what the cell phone companies do too... "unlimited data" ---- lets change the definition of 'data' and start using the term 'media'....

Just wait and watch it all unfold.... if it weren't such a big deal, why have they been pushing so hard to get it repealed?

Have you noticed that unlimited mobile data has made a comeback? We just switched from our grandfathered fully unlimited plan to one which give us something like 20gb/mo before they might throttle our speed slightly. And the throttling isn’t a given. It’s just that they have the option to do so.

Given that mobile internet speeds are getting so fast, there is actually some ISP competition that many people don’t realize.

In fact, just today I turned on the tethering on my phone and connected my laptop to it. Then I began to work just like I always do. Things were a hair slower, but not enough to reduce my productivity.

Most people use a lot less data than they think. Last time I looked (back when I had Comcast - Frontier doesn’t have tools to show data usage that I can find), I used like 10gb/mo streaming Netflix, working, and playing video games.

Personally, I don’t think that letting the market decide things is a bad idea. I trust “evil corporations” more than I do the federal govt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://reason.com/blog/2017/12/14/the-f ... bama-era-n

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fcc-readie ... 1513247401

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buh Bye unnecessary Obarry Bullshit!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:
os2firefox wrote:
sreyemj wrote:

Really? Seems like I have a bunch of wired and wireless options.

Hard to believe government regulation is going to make anything better, especially if they decide "fake news" sites don't need to be included in neutrality.

I have three options.

• Dialup, which I don't even know if it is available any more.
• DSL at 80 dollars a month.
• 3G, (not even 4G here), at a startup cost in the hundreds. Extremely unreliable. Throttled to 2 gigabytes per month. And a cost higher than the DSL.

Yeah... We all have lots of options. :blackcloud1:

And the ISPs all want to give us plenty more 'options'...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
I have three options.

• Dialup, which I don't even know if it is available any more.
• DSL at 80 dollars a month.
• 3G, (not even 4G here), at a startup cost in the hundreds. Extremely unreliable. Throttled to 2 gigabytes per month. And a cost higher than the DSL.

Yeah... We all have lots of options. :blackcloud1:

And the ISPs all want to give us plenty more 'options'...

So it was throttled during the reign of "net neutrality"?

Well hope you get some competition now.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next