Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Selling etiquette, first come, first serve? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
My take on " I'll take it " is - if you post that, then you own it for the asking price.

Unless you also post qualifiers. "But I want to see it first". "Unless it has rust." "I have to come up with the money." Etc.

Then... you haven't even posted that you'll take it. It's still up for grabs.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3rd party post dated personal check?

Takes all kinds. I prefer to never sell so solves 1/2 the problem.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
3rd party post dated personal check?

Takes all kinds. I prefer to never sell so solves 1/2 the problem.

:timeout: Gimme a second to get my check writing crayon. :bigsmile:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Duke EB wrote:
People posting "i'll take it" or "PM sent" don't necessarily get the deal. I never post that type of stuff, as it's only between the seller and I. Nobody needs to know ;)

It's not about you as the buyer, it's a courtesey to other potential buyers to keep them from wasting their time on an item that's already sold. Not a rule, just etiquette, as we're discussing.

Besides, nobody needs to know half of the stuff everybody posts online anyway. Posting "I'll take it" is actually helpful, and the next guy in line does need to know.

I'm in full agreement with the other comments though about asking questions after "I'll take it", that's bad form. I might or might not ask questions, but once I post "I'll take it", I consider my end of the deal as good as done, and those who have dealt with me know the same. That comment about "buyers vs claimers" rubs me the wrong way, as someone with integrity who means what I say.

Nah, it's more like marking territory. Harms the buyer because many times the tire kicker fails but meanwhile other buyers move on.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
My take on " I'll take it " is - if you post that, then you own it for the asking price.

Yes, exactly. Don't say it if you don't mean it, but if you do mean it, let others know so they don't waste their time. It's a pretty simple courtesy, and has nothing to do with "marking your territory" unless you're just a flake anyway. It's still simple enough for someone else to ask to be next in line if the first guy falls through.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Isn't "I'll take it" considered the offer, still requiring acceptance of that offer from the seller before a contract is in place?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

Yes, exactly. Don't say it if you don't mean it, but if you do mean it, let others know so they don't waste their time. It's a pretty simple courtesy, and has nothing to do with "marking your territory" unless you're just a flake anyway. It's still simple enough for someone else to ask to be next in line if the first guy falls through.

The "Marking your territory" was a comment by me. If i publicly post "I will Take it" That simply means i think i have enough info from the ad that was posted to make commitment to buy the item in question....and i am "Marking my Territory".

(There is nothing wrong with a "seconds" if it falls through Post in the thread)

Doesn't matter if i see it and then think i really don't want it, it means i will pay the asking price and Honor that Commitment like a Man.

Maybe we see it differently, maybe i am too used to how it is done on some of the Larger "National" Firearms Forums, but Posting that "I will take it" was a contract and you honored it.

I personally think that's how it should be here. First Person that commits in the thread is on the Hook. That eliminates any question like the one that started this thread and prevents any of the " Well, I will take it if..." Crap after the fact.

People who post that just to "Mark Territory" and start asking questions of the OP before actually "committing" get sorted out pretty quickly and everyone knows about it.

Feedback, it works.....Just my .02 on that.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 am

A problem with "I'll take it" being a legitimate dibs is time and distance (as well as the financial thing). Someone might post "I'll take it" , drives off other buyers , but then can't show up for a week. It really has to be a mutual agreement between both parties considering all circumstances. Being stuck down here in Elma I miss all sorts of deals (including the one prompting this thread) due to not being able to jet after something right away. I don't post in the thread, I'll send a message and usually state "if no one gets it first" and when I get get there. I've never had an issue with any member here or on TOS , unlike the bottom feeders on CL these days.
Somehow making new rules for purchasing or selling smacks of a liberal approach to some degree. I think we're good as is.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
I like to post "I'll take it, PM Sent" if it's a killer deal. Can't miss the opportunity to rub it in all your faces! :bigsmile:

I can always post "Next in line" because Mikey`s wife called him and said he had to pick up diapers and formula and is now broke and can`t afford it now and the fact while he was typing I`ll take it I have already sent a pm :bigsmile:

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

lionhrt wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
I like to post "I'll take it, PM Sent" if it's a killer deal. Can't miss the opportunity to rub it in all your faces! :bigsmile:

I can always post "Next in line" because Mikey`s wife called him and said he had to pick up diapers and formula and is now broke and can`t afford it now and the fact while he was typing I`ll take it I have already sent a pm :bigsmile:

I won't post in the ad until after I've already PM'd the seller. Priorities donchaknow?

I like the "I'll take it post" in the thread. Say someone like usrifle posts "I'll take it." Dude has 74 positive feedbacks with a 100% rating. He's a stand up guy. If usrifle posts an I'll take it then the item is gone. No sense in wasting my time trying to PM the seller because, just like usrifle, I believe that saying "I'll take it" means just that. You have committed to buy the item at their price and convenience.

What I don't understand is an ad that has an "I'll take it" response and the seller has to later bump the ad with "still available." That's bs. If a guy posts an "I'll take it" in my for sale thread and doesn't follow through IMO that's grounds for negative feedback

And as to what heymagic said about timing and not being able to get to the seller for a while. I think if a deal is good enough that it requires an instant "I'll take it" PM without any prior discussion as to timing, etc. then the buyer might just have to make it work. You can't expect to claim someone's item then make them wait 2 weeks until you are in the area. Sometimes a really good deal means inconveniencing yourself to make a special trip ASAP. I know you understand that from what you wrote, I was just adding to what you said in regards to some of the people here that think everyone should always come to them, or they have to already be "in the area" to make it work.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
lionhrt wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

I won't post in the ad until after I've already PM'd the seller. Priorities donchaknow?

I like the "I'll take it post" in the thread. Say someone like usrifle posts "I'll take it." Dude has 74 positive feedbacks with a 100% rating. He's a stand up guy. If usrifle posts an I'll take it then the item is gone. No sense in wasting my time trying to PM the seller because, just like usrifle, I believe that saying "I'll take it" means just that. You have committed to buy the item at their price and convenience.

What I don't understand is an ad that has an "I'll take it" response and the seller has to later bump the ad with "still available." That's bs. If a guy posts an "I'll take it" in my for sale thread and doesn't follow through IMO that's grounds for negative feedback

And as to what heymagic said about timing and not being able to get to the seller for a while. I think if a deal is good enough that it requires an instant "I'll take it" PM without any prior discussion as to timing, etc. then the buyer might just have to make it work. You can't expect to claim someone's item then make them wait 2 weeks until you are in the area. Sometimes a really good deal means inconveniencing yourself to make a special trip ASAP. I know you understand that from what you wrote, I was just adding to what you said in regards to some of the people here that think everyone should always come to them, or they have to already be "in the area" to make it work.

Also. Everytime I read the title to this thread, I think, "Yeah, I wish someone WOULD sell some etiquette. I could think of a few people who need to buy some. :wink05:

All that said, I can think of at least one time when, although I didn't 'claim' the item, I did PM with the hopes it could be held for a couple weeks.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
lionhrt wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

:bow: :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

I agree with both comments. "I'll take it" is a verbal contract as far as I am concerned. If I say that, the haggle time is over and I am committed for better or worse at the asking price.

As a seller I pretty much expect to be treated the same way. In the past I have had people say "I'll take it' and then I get more PMs telling me to let them know if the person flakes. I have also done that myself, where I will PM someone after someone else posts they will take it. I ask to be next if they flake and I have got some stuff that way.

Bottom line is "I'll take it" should mean what it says, and if you just want to be first to sniff at it, send a PM first get the haggling and questions out of the way first. If someone has already posted an "I'll take it" PM them anyway and get on the list. I always also let the people who have wanted to be on the list know that it has indeed been sold so they are not left hanging. It only takes a couple of minutes. IMHO

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: South Puget Sound (sounds more hoity toity than Puyallup)
sreyemj wrote:
Isn't "I'll take it" considered the offer, still requiring acceptance of that offer from the seller before a contract is in place?

"I'll take it" means just that, and unless the seller has made some strange restrictions (I'll only sell to someone whom I've met, groped their wife, and have 9000 positive feedback), the seller should be obligated to sell.

If it goes south, the guilty party should have fifty lashes and public shaming.

Seriously..I used to frequent another site, and they had stupid shenanigans like that. Twice I responded to an item for sale, said "I'll take it, give me your PP address"...no qualifications, no inspections, no negotiations. Didn't hang around to get screwed for a third time...left those d-bags in the rear view mirror.

All that being said, I think a lot of this is academic. This is a great site. If anyone misses on a deal, I'm certain there was an unintentional snafu somewhere. Great bunch of guys and gals here.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a brief explanation on contract law -

A offer and obligation to sell occurs when there's a listing (offer to sell), acceptance (I'll take it), and consideration (something of value given to the seller). These obviously predated internet times. But that's basic contract law.

Let's first think about this as a Face to Face deal. Say you're at a pawn store and find a mint treasure you've been wanting, for an attractive price of $500. You only have $10 on your person. You tell the shopkeeper "I'll take it," but I have to go get the money. If you leave to go get the money, the shopkeeper has no moral or legal duty to "hold it" for you. However, that's why you give "consideration" (a deposit, collateral, whatever) of $10 or your pocket watch or whatever to hold it until you return. That consideration locks in the deal, completed upon specific performance (you deliver the money, he delivers the item).

Now let's just think about this in terms of mail-order purchasing. Two scenarios.

1. Buyer sees an add for a gun in a Sears catalogue and sends a letter to Sears, "I'll take it." Sears would not be obligated to hold and sell it until the Buyer did something more to arrange the purchase (e.g. money). Sears sells it, too bad for the Buyer.

2. Buyer sees an add for a gun in a Sears catalogue and sends a letter to Sears, "I'll take it." And sends $10 consideration. Sears should hold the gun for the Buyer to make reasonable delivery arrangements.

Now let's look at modern internet sales.

Try writing to AimSurplus an "I'll take it" on their current offerings and see what happens. They will require full payment prior to shipment.

As it applies to deals on a small forum, like this, while not necessarily practical it is illustrative that a seller is not "obligated" by a mere "I'll take it" unless he foolish obligates himself to that. Buyers often have more questions, as we all know. So nobody really believes an "I'll take it" means that unless it's a thorough ad or unbeatable price.

Lots of reasons a buyer may not: Time, distance, additional questions or haggling, scheduling, other party poor feedback, etc.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next