Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:39 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Trailer light connection 

So I am making a receiver mounted deer/elk hanger and got the idea of putting an led light on top. My jeep has a flat 4 prong connection, is going to have enough power for the light and if so how would I wire it up?

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
So I am making a receiver mounted deer/elk hanger and got the idea of putting an led light on top. My jeep has a flat 4 prong connection, is going to have enough power for the light and if so how would I wire it up?

1157 or are you going to use a large LED?

Brown wire is the marker/tail light positive wire and it'll ground through the trailer hitch.

Any large light you should use a driving light relay and use the brown to activate and run a dedicated fused power wire from the battery to the relay as well.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Ground and Tail Light.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or, just slap on a battery powered LED light

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A tip: Here is a great little 4 dollar tester for the harness.

You can self-test your harness, if your harness if long enough to be able to plug this in, then hang it where you can see it while sitting in the cab of the truck, working the brakes and turn signals.

If your harness isn't long enough, make an extension for it. (That's what I did.)

https://www.harborfreight.com/four-way- ... 66526.html

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm

WaJim wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:

Brown wire is the marker/tail light positive wire and it'll ground through the trailer hitch.

Any large light you should use a driving light relay and use the brown to activate and run a dedicated fused power wire from the battery to the relay as well.

I was hoping to run one flood fog light like this but with a defused lense https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Driving- ... B00IY3YLCI

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
WaJim wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:

I was hoping to run one flood fog light like this but with a defused lense https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Driving- ... B00IY3YLCI

Yeah I'd take the safe rout and run an inline fused dedicated 14 ga wire all the way from the battery with a toggle on the mast you insert in the receiver....screw the trailer light/relay avenue.

simplicity....

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Your fourwire will be able to easily handle a LED light and some kind of switched work light so you can start your vehicle an turn on the running lights and then have the LED light and a work light. Running directly off the battery is a good way to have a dead battery because you will use it without the vehicle running once too often.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may have a 7 pin trailer connector plug under your rig, I'd crawl under and see if there's a dummy plug in the harness.
If so, there's a hot line on it, may need to plug a fuse or relay into a fuse block in either engine or passenger compartment.
Don't know if you'll have it, but much easier wiring job if you do.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]