Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Life Imprisonment cheaper than Death Penalty? 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

dreadi wrote:
Some of the festival circuit in Louisiana uses convict labor for clean-up. Guys in orange jumpsuits were out picking up trash and sometimes other labor tasks such bike racks for crowd control.

When we had to address them, there was plenty of “yes sir” in their responses and to me they seemed thankful to be outside and doing something. LA uses state prison labor for other tasks and projects to the extent that the state economy is partially based on the lesser expense of that labor.

Might be a Louisiana thing.
One of my clients is based in Louisiana and one of their acquisition leads calls everyone sir.
Like once in every other sentence.
Felt like I was a Colonel.

Ya, LA knows how to hand out long sentences and put inmates to work.
I think Angola Prison is the largest employer in the state, about 3/4 of the inmates are doing life.
Will Hayden from the TV show Sons of Guns being one of them (3 life sentences + 40 additional years).

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 am

Alpine wrote:
I am against the death penalty. Why? Because it would be the government implementing it.

Ask yourself if you trust Jay Inslee, Jerry Brown, Barrack Obama, or Rod Blagojevich to have the power to kill US citizens or not.

Also noteworthy are the people who were executed and found post-humously innocent with DNA evidence.

Remember, if the IRS can be used as a political weapon, why can't the death penalty?

then let victims' families carry out the sentence

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mancat wrote:
Alpine wrote:
I am against the death penalty. Why? Because it would be the government implementing it.

Ask yourself if you trust Jay Inslee, Jerry Brown, Barrack Obama, or Rod Blagojevich to have the power to kill US citizens or not.

Also noteworthy are the people who were executed and found post-humously innocent with DNA evidence.

Remember, if the IRS can be used as a political weapon, why can't the death penalty?

then let victims' families carry out the sentence

In the heat of the moment as self-defense? Sure.

How about afterward? How do we identify that the perp did it? Do we let Dan Satterberg make that case to the extent where a man's life is in the balance depending on what comes out of the Liar Sattberg's mouth? Bob Ferguson's mouth? And the methods that those men and men appointed by Inslee, Obama, Brown, etc appoint?

See the problem?

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Old Growth wrote:
Why cant these folks in prison WORK during their sentence? Like real work, not the nancy shit they sometimes do.

Always wanted to see this happen. There is so much work you hear that is back logged in different agencies. Put these guys to work. Run a "pothole filling" crew and they just go around filling potholes. Heck even have a paving crew who could go in and repave sections of roads that are government owned (like forest service roads and the such). Work on parks. So much work that could be done that would benefit the community.

Of course that also reminds me of the scene in the Shawshank Redemption where the prison is taking business from legit companies due to the cheap labor. But Im sure they could limit what the prison work could do.

As for the death penalty. I have mixed feelings on it. The idea of it I like but the practice of it is where i have issue. To many people have been found not guilty after being convicted. I would be ok if it was solely used when there was a "without a doubt" evidence such as actual video of the crime being committed.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Iraq they had it on the books that executions not eligible for appeal are carried out in 30 days. No one cried when Saddam Hussein was executed right away.

I get that we're afraid of using the death penalty as a political weapon, but what about the easy cases? Not the O.J. Simpson kind of cases, but the "we know you did it because the cops showed up and you had the gun in your hand and a pile of bodies at your feet" cases. Incontrovertible.

Life in prison doesn't bug me nearly as much as convicted murders getting back out into society and committing further crimes.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:

I'd rather be killed by the government after a trial by a jury, with multiple appeals, than by a police officer. If the government is going to kill me, I want a chance to defend myself, and appeal the death sentence. The number of false accusations and out-right lies by people is astonishing. Better to let 100 guilty men go free than imprison 1 innocent person.

Old Growth wrote:
Why cant these folks in prison WORK during their sentence? Like real work, not the nancy shit they sometimes do.

If I had been kidnapped and held against my will by the government, do you think I'd then work for them? Fuck that. I'd fight them, not work for them.

To the topic at hand, yes the death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment, simply because of court costs and appeals. Which is appropriate and 100% correct. The government shouldn't be allowed to kill you without having to do tons of work first. We love the 2nd Amendment. What about the 4th, and the 5th, and the 6th, and the 7th, and the 8th Amendments? Are you so trigger happy and gun happy you want to kill people without due process? Disgusting.

The criminal justice system in the US is completely fucked up. Think about what the purpose is. So many criminals are sent to prison, where they learn how to be better criminals. Where they join a brotherhood of criminals. When they are released, they can't get housing, they can't get jobs, they can't get credit. They are doomed to a life of crime. Is this what you want? Why not just execute everybody that is ever charged with any crime?

The true purpose should be two-fold. 1 - to punish people for their actions, so they learn not to do it. Like shoving a dogs nose in poop. Then swatting them on the ass. 2 - to rehabilitate people to a life of legal activity. To train people and educate them so they can improve their lives. To go forth and sin no more. To turn criminals into law-abiding citizens. Here you put the dog outside, so it knows what it's supposed to be doing.

Right now all we do is take a bad dog and put it in a locked room with a bunch of other bad dogs, where it learns to be the baddest mother fucking dog ever. Aren't we better than this? I know I am. Are you?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just need a death penalty, if they find out it was wrong the family gets a million , crime would drop overnight.

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd also mention that people shouldn't be released until they are rehabilitated and won't commit further crimes.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
I'd also mention that people shouldn't be released until they are rehabilitated and won't commit further crimes.

This would eliminate 70-90% of homicides. We would have one of the lowest homicide rates on earth without any additional firearm restrictions.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
snozzberries wrote:

This would eliminate 70-90% of homicides. We would have one of the lowest homicide rates on earth without any additional firearm restrictions.

Yup. Right now it's "you served your punishment, you can go free", but they haven't been rehabilitated to stop committing crimes. You can't just punish your dog for shitting in the living room, without training him to stop doing it. Otherwise you are just a sadist.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Can't 'rehabilitate' someone unless they want to change.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:

:plusone:

We already have a system for determining whether a convict has been rehabilitated. It's called parole, and it's deeply flawed as evidenced by recidivism rates.

Do away with plea deals and sentencing leniency. Mandate harsh punishments by law, and don't let prosecutors or judges wiggle around them. You'll still have violent crime, but you'll have fewer repeat offenders, which means fewer total crimes committed (in theory).

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:56 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

One problem is releasing violent criminals directly from prison to the community. Should never happen.

Need to transition them from prison -----> pre release ------> work release.
Teach them some life skills and help them find an apartment and a job.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Guntrader wrote:

:plusone:

We already have a system for determining whether a convict has been rehabilitated. It's called parole, and it's deeply flawed as evidenced by recidivism rates.

Do away with plea deals and sentencing leniency. Mandate harsh punishments by law, and don't let prosecutors or judges wiggle around them. You'll still have violent crime, but you'll have fewer repeat offenders, which means fewer total crimes committed (in theory).

And for those who have received "harsh punisment(long sentences) and are then released, the next conviction receives an even longer sentence. For those who are slow learners three strikes for all violent felonies armed robbery, armed assault, any homicide, it's pretty much a given that those who repeat are never going to get the message. After the first conviction and completed sentence, from there any subsequent incarceration is "Super-Max" style. 23 hours in a cell and an hour a day outside. No mixing with other inmates, no gang affiliations, no 'programs', just plain old incarceration. Give them paperbacks, crayola's, and whatever but they got their chance the first time around to be "rehabilitated".

In this State there's lots of land on the East side of the mountains to build a Super-Max prison just like the one in Florence, CO. A place nobody wants to end up so that alone may get through the thick skulls of most offenders that they get their shit straight their first time in prison or they get to go to a far worse place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say most of these people are dumber than your dog. When your dog shits in the house, do you first yell at it, then lock it in a cage for a couple hours, then a couple days, then beat it, then break it's legs?

Locking people up as punishment doesn't deter crime. You can't fix a mental problems by locking people up. These people don't know the difference between right and wrong, or at least don't care. Locking them up with more people like themselves won't teach them anything.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next