Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Let's dive into... LOCKERS. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been spending time trying to educate myself into the hows & whys of differentials.

While I haven't checked to see whether or not I have an LSD, (lift the back end off the ground and turn the wheels), I've been somewhat planning in my mind
what to do if:
1) I don't have an LSD
2) I do have an LSD

1) If I don't have an LSD, I'd like to get one but unsure of just going limited slip or locker.

2) If I do have one, should I choose to have it rebuilt?

3) or just bite the bullet and throw in a TrueTrac, Powertrax or Detroit Locker?

Vehicle: '99 Cherokee daily driver. The only time it will see 4wd is in the winter, on the beach or an occasional off road, (not for wheeling).

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a daily driver, a l.s.d. would be the best
I would not recommend a locker for a daily driver unless you pony up for a selectable locker (a.r.b.) etc.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helical lsd
Useless off road though.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PAPISJEEP wrote:
For a daily driver, a l.s.d. would be the best
I would not recommend a locker for a daily driver unless you pony up for a selectable locker (a.r.b.) etc.

I knew A.R.B. was good but the price... :runforthehills:

I won't be going that way. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:42 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I had a Loc-Right in my 1984 Chevy for 2 days...and swapped it out to an Auburn LSD. Loc-Right is similar to a Detroit. Problem was with the 33" tires it was a freaky bitch taking the on-ramp on a freeway. The sucker would lock in and out swinging the truck slightly. I have A detroit in my Shelby and dont feel its there unless Im going real slow into a gas station and it clicks. The Same Tire Diameter (roll out) is imperative with a locker as well.....you can sure tell when one is low...the car will swing when you get on/off the gas.

I would recommend Auburn.

Set it and forget it.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 99 silverado has a locker....I hate it... :flag:..take off too fast, it locks and it doesnt turn so well after...have to stop, put it in reverse to unlock it

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Detroit Locker in my Bronco (Ford 9 inch). While I work for the company that makes them I would not recommend them for anyone except hard core offroading, their street manners are not for everyone.

I would recommend a limited slip or an E locker/electric locker (which my company also makes)...and no I can't get a discount (at least I don't think I can)

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Elockers are great Offroad. And useless on road.
Gotta decide what matters more to you.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 am

It's easier to just powerbrake it to see if it has an lsd. If it doesnt just find a factory one at a junk yard

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
It's easier to just powerbrake it to see if it has an lsd. If it doesnt just find a factory one at a junk yard

That is not a good test at all.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news is I just printed out my entire equipment listing as when it was built and bought new.
It does not list as having Limited Slip.
So plan B go into effect. Lift the back end and spin the tires.

Good website to keep. https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 am

The build sheet or equipment list may not always show the LSD. You really need to spin the tires or pull the cover to check.

Regardless if your Cherokee has a Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25" there are LS units available for both. Some had the factory Trac-Lok which is OK but was known for wearing out the clutch packs early on. It's pretty easy to remove the carrier and rebuild the clutches, and aftermarket clutches will last a lot longer than the OEM friction material which sucked.

As for the factory Trac-Loc they are pretty easy to find in junkyards in Cherokees and 4.0 Grand Cherokees.. You will probably never find a Wrangler in a junk yard so forget about it.

A common thing to do on some other factory LS units (especially Ford) is to repack them with an additional clutch disc, to make the engagement more positive and take place earlier on in the slip process. Upsides are that it can give better traction off road, and may work better for poor traction on road as well, as some factory clutch packs are often optimized for on-road manners, and may be so weak that they rarely even engage until you're already spinning heavily. Downsides would be that you may get some chatter on turns (especially at speed) and the clutches may wear out faster. I plan to pull and repack the 8.8" LS on my Explorer in this way some time soon. Unfortunately I don't know if the Chrysler Trac-Lok has enough room in the carrier to do this, so you'll need to research that, but any used unit will almost certainly need to be rebuilt with new clutches at this age.

P.S. I have a new Lube Locker reusable diff cover gasket for your Dana 30 (front diff) if you want it. Sold my Wrangler so no more use for it.

Last edited by mancat on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

AR15L wrote:
Good news is I just printed out my entire equipment listing as when it was built and bought new.
It does not list as having Limited Slip.
So plan B go into effect. Lift the back end and spin the tires.

Good website to keep. https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

Yup Jeep uses a clutch style limited slip...well all the ones I've fixed were....this spin one wheel will tell all.

Chevrolet is the only Mfg that uses a Gov-Loc.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
The tires will also spin in the opposite direction if the clutch pack in a Tracloc is worn out. Clutch packs in the Tracloc only last perhaps 50K miles.

Is this a true statement?

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would almost guarantee you have an LSD but it could be worn out. They are simple and inexpensive to rebuild usually. If not the Detroit true track is one of the most street friendly post units. And not insanely expensive. Yukon year is a great site for info and prices.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next