Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:40 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where to buy house stuff (appliances, cabinets) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We’re closing on a house in a couple of weeks and are getting ready to do a kitchen remodel on it before we move in. We need to pick out new appliances and cabinets. So far we’ve just been to Best Buy and have looked at Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Albert Lee’s websites.

Any of you have good/bad appliance buying and installation experiences from any of these places? Any places you’d recommend or not?

We’re also looking for cabinets and countertops. Any good local places to look for that other than Home Depot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:43 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

GS building supply in Sodo will get you cabinets and countertops at rates you can't find elsewhere. It's not American made, and the sales people are very much not American. But the prices are unbeatable. Take the savings on cabinets/countertops and buy appliances at Judd&Black. They are more expensive than some other appliance retailers but the warranty service and "stand behind the product" are simply unbeatable. Your cabinets won't crap out. Your appliances might. Spend the money to get good service on your appliances. You won't regret it.

*ETA- Congrats on the new house! You need hardwoods. Call me. http://www.hardwoodfloorsnw.com/

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just replaced all my appliances. I got some good deals at HD.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costco has an oven, fridge, dishwasher, and overhead microwave package going on right now.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my research, HD seems to have the best delivery costs.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need to check out KT brother, we did cabinets and Quartz counter tops from them. Great prices, you really can't beat them. I demo'd the old Kitchen and installed the Tile floor myself and then had them install the Cabinets and counter tops.
Had a minor snafu with a cabinet and they came back and fixed it with no problems.

http://www.ktbuildingsupply.com/

No slam doors and drawers, to ceiling cabinets with all trim, (no particle board cabinet crap either,Dovetailed drawer joints) new SS deep sink and Quartz Counters installed for like 6800.

Appliances? We went through Sears, the Wife shops pretty wisely and we did well on price.

Congrats on the house too! :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD screwed us on a washer deal. I still go there, but never will I buy an appliance.

We have bought appliances from Lowe's and Judd and Black, not one issue with either, easy peasy.

Keep us posted on cabinets. I'm in the same boat at some point.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys and your Chinese...

I have used/use GS in Sodo... but there are things to consider:
If you want cookie-cutter (i.e. you do not wish to have a "signature" or unique kitchen) and price is the paramount point of consideration, then perhaps they are a good fit for you.

What does that mean? You have about six different door styles and four colors from which to choose. Not a lot of specialty cabinets and sizes. Limited customization, if at all.

Granite is the same; 20 or so slabs/colors and maybe ten or so colors of quartz. ONE style of counter edge. Not at all the kind of selection that you can get at the granite stores.

But it is one stop shopping.

Language barrier is a challenge to be prepared to encounter. The sales staff is better at English than the installers. In my experience it would serve you well to be intimately involved, on the premises, watching layout as it occurs during installation.

All that said, you can get a fairly good kitchen out of the deal.

There are more than a couple of local companies that have good products if you want to step up from there. Canyon Creek (*a "local" employer that manufactures their product in Monroe but is Japanese owned) has a great semi-custom line with a LOT more bells and whistles; door styles, colors,etc etc. and the ability to modify cabinet sizes to suit your design and space. Huntwood, out of Spokane, with local showrooms is similar. Lots of local small shops too. I'm surprised Sinus didn't mention the shop that did his folks' house. They offer a very nice cabinet.

Of course you pay for American product, American environmental consciousness, fair labor protections, and the contribution to the local economy... but who is really concerned with THAT stuff...psheesh!

Albert lee has better than HD selection if you want to step up on appliances too.

I've heard scuttlebutt that in the Big Box industries, whether it is electronics or appliances and etc... that the discount houses offer the Branded merchandise at a discount by getting models tailored for their market and price point, which while sporting the Big Brand logo, have diminished features which enable the manufacturer to provide the discount (ferinstance: TV's will have fewer speaker "outs" or HDMI ports or refresh rates and etc, than the models offered in the electronic salon stores.)

So, a couple of question to ask yourself:
How much time do you have to immerse yourself in the process? Are you going to be your own "contractor"?
Is money the single most important consideration? or do you want to buy some style, variety and features?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went easy and bought ontheshelf stuff
Galley kitchen. Not complicated.

Some day I'll do something with the cupboards

Edit: pretty much all home Depot or Lowe's
Price matching works.

Last edited by Rix86 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the house, we just bought one a few months ago and replaced all of the appliances via HD and got a pretty good deal. Next thing we wanna do is our kitchen so I will piggy backing on this thread for some insight.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:45 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

We bought our Miele dishwasher and propane cooktop at Albert lee. Awesome prices and great service. We bought our LG fridge from Costco because they had better prices than anybody else on the specific fridge we wanted.

Recent new washer and dryer purchase was from sears on one of their super sales/we are going broke/please buy from us sales. Not too worried about SHLD tanking because sears will spin off the warranty and maintenance company before implosion.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought my dishwasher from King and Bunny's in Renton at my FIL's recommendation. Yes they were a little pricier but they've provided excellent follow up and customer service after a rodent ate through the door weight connections a few months later.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: South Puget Sound (sounds more hoity toity than Puyallup)
Rix86 wrote:
I went easy and bought ontheshelf stuff
Galley kitchen. Not complicated.

Some day I'll do something with the cupboards

Edit: pretty much all home Depot or Lowe's
Price matching works.

If you hadn't mentioned the cupboards, I would have thought them part of the project...I like 'em.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the home!

Last edited by leadcounsel on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is relevant to my interests. Wife and I are waiting to close on a house, and we're going to need a new fridge. New stove also in the cards, but not for a while yet.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next