Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Truck bed tonneau covers -- Hard vs. Soft 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mancat wrote:
I think it sound like you really want a canopy. Just do it. Places like Canopy World will finance on no interest for one year, pretty easy to pay it off.

I recently bought a used Frontier CC and picked the one I did almost entirely because it already had a matching insulated Leer 100R with tinted sliders, interior LED and Thule bars... Like a $2k canopy and they didn't even include it in the price.

If you sell later on it will increase the private sale value in this state substantially.

My dad had a Truxedo on his Silverado a few years back. He had it on for a couple of months before he got tired of the relative uselessness of the bed, and replaced it with a canopy.

As a guy who once sold canopies and tonneau covers... I have to agree with this^^^

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I put one of these on my Titan (2004) Crew Cap and am super happy with it.

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/shop-by-brand/extang/extang-solid-fold-2-0-tonneau-cover.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIeuGUBHtyQxbQBm-bv4K8k9RH8fUIJjFgWXfADBMaKsf-_8OdfHM6HoaAmcJEALw_wcB

More expensive than some, less than others. I wanted something SOLID that wouldn't sag with a bunch of water in it, I could put stuff on top of it temporarily while packing, camping, etc (not driving).

Folds in three sections and locks solid. Only downside is that section next to cab does not fold up and is always down while other two sections fold on top of it.

For me it's just fine as I store fuel for my Generator/Inverter under this section. The Genset is back at the tailgate so when I want "juice" for my travel trailer I merely drop the tailgate, flip up the last section, and then hit the starter switch.

It's solid enough I do believe that a small person could possibly walk across it. Not like some of the Vacuum formed ABS crap that's out there.

A one-piece was out of the question for me as I wanted more versatility than "Open" or "Closed". If I have a big load like a refrigerator or such, this cover copes off in less than 5 min's. Just the time it takes to turn the large wing nuts that secure the forward section to the bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.realtruck.com/american-tri-fold-tonneau-cover/

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

deadshot2 wrote:
I put one of these on my Titan (2004) Crew Cap and am super happy with it.

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/shop-by-brand/extang/extang-solid-fold-2-0-tonneau-cover.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIeuGUBHtyQxbQBm-bv4K8k9RH8fUIJjFgWXfADBMaKsf-_8OdfHM6HoaAmcJEALw_wcB

More expensive than some, less than others. I wanted something SOLID that wouldn't sag with a bunch of water in it, I could put stuff on top of it temporarily while packing, camping, etc (not driving).

Folds in three sections and locks solid. Only downside is that section next to cab does not fold up and is always down while other two sections fold on top of it.

For me it's just fine as I store fuel for my Generator/Inverter under this section. The Genset is back at the tailgate so when I want "juice" for my travel trailer I merely drop the tailgate, flip up the last section, and then hit the starter switch.

It's solid enough I do believe that a small person could possibly walk across it. Not like some of the Vacuum formed ABS crap that's out there.

A one-piece was out of the question for me as I wanted more versatility than "Open" or "Closed". If I have a big load like a refrigerator or such, this cover copes off in less than 5 min's. Just the time it takes to turn the large wing nuts that secure the forward section to the bed.

Thanks for the info Mike, that's definitely a consideration.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
mancat wrote:
I think it sound like you really want a canopy. Just do it. Places like Canopy World will finance on no interest for one year, pretty easy to pay it off.

I recently bought a used Frontier CC and picked the one I did almost entirely because it already had a matching insulated Leer 100R with tinted sliders, interior LED and Thule bars... Like a $2k canopy and they didn't even include it in the price.

If you sell later on it will increase the private sale value in this state substantially.

My dad had a Truxedo on his Silverado a few years back. He had it on for a couple of months before he got tired of the relative uselessness of the bed, and replaced it with a canopy.

As a guy who once sold canopies and tonneau covers... I have to agree with this^^^

Oh, I really do "WANT" a canopy. They're extremely useful. But paying $2500-$3000 for one is something I don't want. The money is and isn't an issue. I could go down and buy one, financing isn't needed, I just have a really hard time dropping that kind of money on one.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:09 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks for the link Rick, I'll check those out

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember: he said a SMALL person might be able to walk on it...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:17 pm

sinus211 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
mancat wrote:

Oh, I really do "WANT" a canopy. They're extremely useful. But paying $2500-$3000 for one is something I don't want. The money is and isn't an issue. I could go down and buy one, financing isn't needed, I just have a really hard time dropping that kind of money on one.

I'm pretty sure my dad picked up a Leer 100XR for his Colorado for less than 1500. Have you priced one out?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mancat wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
mancat wrote:

I'm pretty sure my dad picked up a Leer 100XR for his Colorado for less than 1500. Have you priced one out?

I have a quote request into canopy world for a 100XL. If it's $1500 I'll run down and buy one tomorrow

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leer is one of those companies that has a great brand name and a decent product, but you are paying a lot for the name (and I suppose for a wide network of dealers... but with a canopy, is that really so important?) There are plenty of smaller manufacturers that have as good for le$$.

Here's a tonneau cover that gives you security, and is somewhat compact. But it does cost around $1700

http://www.truckcoversusa.com/

FJB

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://tonneaucovered.com/collections/bak
I'm on my second BAKFlip, two different pickups. Got the current one from this place, best price I could find. Moderate security, keeps most of the water out. All but the small section up front folds out of the way to haul taller items. Can be fully removed pretty quickly if necessary.
The previous one did get bowed a little one winter. Heavy snow followed by rain and freeze. It wasn't terrible but I always kicked myself for not clearing the snow off of it that time.
Edit to add: chose the model I got because the tailgate seal works with the remote opening tailgate on the F150.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1811GNR wrote:
https://tonneaucovered.com/collections/bak
I'm on my second BAKFlip, two different pickups. Got the current one from this place, best price I could find. Moderate security, keeps most of the water out. All but the small section up front folds out of the way to haul taller items. Can be fully removed pretty quickly if necessary.
The previous one did get bowed a little one winter. Heavy snow followed by rain and freeze. It wasn't terrible but I always kicked myself for not clearing the snow off of it that time.
Edit to add: chose the model I got because the tailgate seal works with the remote opening tailgate on the F150.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk
I have a BAKFlip too, great cover. Fairly secure as it would take some damage to open without opening the tailgate first. And flips onto itself and props against the back window if I need my full bed for anything. Check CL, I found one for my truck in great condition for $350.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I specifically didn't want a canopy. Wanted to lock guns in the back, out of sight, and be easily removable and storable, to carry motorcycles.
Kinda want a canopy for quick and easy camp trips until the camper is done though.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered an inexpensive tri fold soft tonneau off of Amazon. I really just want to keep the toolbox dry and not have to worry about groceries flying out or getting soaked.

Last truck had a canopy and it had it's ups and downs. Nice to not have the blind spots now though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:31 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Chrisb9381 wrote:
I just ordered an inexpensive tri fold soft tonneau off of Amazon. I really just want to keep the toolbox dry and not have to worry about groceries flying out or getting soaked.

Last truck had a canopy and it had it's ups and downs. Nice to not have the blind spots now though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My truck has massive blind spots even without a canopy. Partially bad mirror design, coupled with the 6" lift and high bed sides. I also ordered an inexpensive tri-fold tonneau but I'm going to get pricing from Canopy World on a paint matched canopy before I unbox the tonneau.

Problem with a canopy is I'm pretty vain when it comes to looks. I've only seen two styles of canopy that look good on the titan and they're both top name brands. Pay to play I guess.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2